Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Important Tip for 5.4 owners

43K views 41 replies 32 participants last post by  Greg Coleman 
#1 ·
We have had instances of the 5.4 spark plugs breaking when being removed. Ford provides us with a special tool to remove them, however if the rear plugs break it requires removing the head or the if both break remove the engine. Scheduled maintenance suggests inspection or replacement at 100,000 or 160,000 kms depending on model. I reccommend you have the spark plugs inspected before the warranty expires. Either way it is an owner cost to inspect/replace but should they break warranty covers to remove them, saving a potentially costly bill.

#3 ·
That's for the info.
Do you have any information on the problem of Lightning 5.4 plugs blowing out of the heads (the 4 thread heads-think 2000 to early 2003), have heard that Ford will now fix for free, even out of warrenty, is this true?

#12 ·
Steve, i dount this is true....damn cheap companies making faulty products!
there is a lot of discussion of this on svtperformance.com that i have read in the past.

just be sure to use anti-seize on the threads (to solve breaking the plug) - as for plugs blowing out, the only thing i know to do is to torque them to proper spec (i'll be doing this in a few months to mine).

#6 ·
It's a 2 1/2 hour job at 90.00 per hour.
about 15.00 per spark plug.
If a Cod is faulty then they are about 145.00 each.
If it's just the spark plugs then about 300.00 to 350.00

#13 ·
If you haven't changed plugs on the L are you in for some fun!!
If you want to get together some time when the weather warms up for plug changing let me know.

#16 ·
my truck will be in the garage in april for my "mods" i'll be working on and ill have the s/c off so she won't be driveable.
if you wanna come down and change em w/ me, sure (and urs too)...have a few beers and get mad as we try to change them...lol!

#14 ·
Hey the 6s are no easier to change either :icon_lol:, there just isnt any room and unless you are a contortionist they are a major PITA to get the #3 & 6 out.

#19 ·
I am at 43k kms and asked the dealer for a quote on how much it would cost to inspect the plugs and this is the info I got......

Operation: RM117 - Sparkplugs r&r 5.4L 2006 from 8-8-05

Notes: (Inclus. plugs inspect ignition sysytem & filters, adjust fuel systemas needed)

Labour hours: 2.00

Qty------Part Number----------Part Descrption------------Part price------------Ext Price
---8------FOSP-462 -------------SPARK PLUG---------------18.50---------------148.00

Misc Code-------------Misc Description-----------Quote Min----Quote Max--------Price
BSS-------------------SHOP SUPPLIES------------------------------------------14.72

Labour $:------184.00
Parts $:------148.00
Misc. $:------14.72
------------------------
Subtotal---$ :-----346.72

Now my dealer said

"We (the dealer) will not be responsible for any damages caused by removal of the plugs after the basic warranty runs out @ 60,000kms."

Is this bullshit or what. I pay extra to buy a supplemental new vehicle warranty to 160,000 kms and then they tell me that it will not cover the plugs braking off in my head after 60,000kms:wtfsign:

#21 ·
We have had instances of the 5.4 spark plugs breaking when being removed. Ford provides us with a special tool to remove them, however if the rear plugs break it requires removing the head or the if both break remove the engine.
Not true. here is a post on another forum and the guy broke his back plugs and got them out.

Originally Posted by Irish FX4
I heard that if the plugs at the firewall break you cant get in there with the tool to remove the broken piece? Then your looking at either the heads coming off or the motors coming out! Can anybody clear this up for me. by the sounds of the poster he got his out and it was the back plug that broke!

I have almost 60,000km on mine and i am thinking of replacing them in the spring.

Thanks.
His reply!
spike747 said:
Mine was drivers side firewall. There is tons of room to work on these trucks. Even back at the firewall. I didn't take the fuel rails off like some guys have. The only thing I pulled off was the computer (I assume it was the computer) on the passenger side firewall. It made that firewall plug much easier to get at. I had no problem getting the tool into the firewall plug. My gut was a little sore from lying on it for an hour or so, but I really took my time. I could have done it in half the time if I wasn't no nervous about breaking the tap off.

#24 ·
fix it by adding extra threads on the head? yes. the 2002 (or 2003 i cant remember) has a few more threads, making this not an issue.

Fixing it on older trucks with the issue? No - ford has not done anything to aid its customer if you are in this situation. all you can do is proper torque and apply never-seize and hope your plugs dont blow!!

#29 ·
I will do that thanks for the info

#30 ·
That's interesting.

I had my plugs done at 52,000km w/i the warranty period and was charged about $500+ dollars. I was told that if I didn't get them done they'd crack and it would cost me up to $3500. to take the head off.
I asked about the warranty and they said NO, IT IS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. I was worried sick about it, but none broke. Now I find out it IS covered!!! hmmm

I have since had MULTIPLE warranty problems with that dealer over brakes, fuel injectors, and emissions. I vowed NEVER to go back there. The Service Manager is a smug SOB.

Brakes (within warranty period) -parking brake didn't work, went right to the floor. They told me I had to get the brakes torn down every 20,000km or it voids the warranty. I had 45,000km on them at the time. Cost about $200. to unseize the drum brake.

Fuel Injectors -three of them went on me to a total of $700. Said I'd pay the next day. After looking on the internet I found it was covered under a 192,000/11yr warranty.
They were willing to take the $700 from me until I had FordCanada advise them otherwise.

Emissions -I now have been told probably have a blocked Catalytic Convertor that may have been caused by the three Fuel Injectors blowing.
Dealer tells me it isn't possible, another dealer tells me otherwise. *I've got an appointment at the 'other' dealer tomorrow.

Other stuff- taken the truck in for multiple issues that probably should have been covered!!! I've vowed never to set foot in the place again. I had figured that they are a reputable Ford dealer so why would they steer me wrong?.....after several dealings and much Googling I wised up!

PM me if you want the dealer or service managers name.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.