The Great Wax Debate - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Care & Detailing Its all about looks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The Great Wax Debate

Took a quick look for a wax thread, and came up surprisingly empty.

This is one of those things that is completely subjective to each member on here, no right or wrong answer.

Kind of like asking what tire to run, or what exhaust is the best.

Up front, I'll say I've been a diehard Zaino enthusiast for the last seven years, ever since I started using it on my Mustang.

Fantastic product, but goddamn, it's labour intensive and time consuming.

No problem when you're talking about a garage queen convertible that never even saw rain (High & Dry Member in good standing lol), but it can be a different story for a daily driver.

I'm looking for something a little easier to fit into the schedule, so to speak.

Meguiar's has an Ultimate Wax they're flogging, but I'm also considering this Autoglym shit I see all the time at CTC.

So.........let's hear what you're using.

Details can include if you do a hand job or use a buffer, what sort of impact your product has on trim, time spent and any other relevant facts.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:43 PM

I've never been one of those guys who adds layer upon layer of wax, but I do try to get at least one coat a year.

I've always been a Meguiar's user, a couple of years back I went whole hog and bought the random orbital, pads, and the latest polishes. Each year, on one of the long weekends the canopy goes up in the driveway and the better part of two days are spent claying, polishing and finally waxing.

I've never believed in "all-in-one" solutions, and I must say the new "Ultimate" series of products are some of the easiest products I've ever worked with. Reading the forums they are a very similar formulation to the professional series, just packaged and retailed for the consumer market which makes sense.

That's my $ 0.02.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 06:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
The truck is so big it sucks to do it no matter what

I've always been a mothers fan, but I gave seen a lot of great reviews for the autoglym

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 AM

does car wash wax count ? lmao jk

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:00 AM

After trying a few different brands of waxes/polishes over the years, one that I used to like was Nu Finish (the one in the orange bottle). I read in Consumer Reports, or someting like that, that of all the brands they tested, it had the highest content of carnuba wax.

It gave a nice shine and lasted quite well. The downside, like most waxes, is that when you get it on a textured plastic surface, it's really hard to clean off the white residue. The end result was sometimes a pretty labour intensive operation.

Being a lazy guy with a truck that has a lot of black plastic trim, I decided to try Turtlewax Ice, since you can put it on plastic and rubber, etc., and still buff it up nicely. Everything but glass, obviously. It's the easiest to apply and I use dollar-store microfiber cloths to polish it, or a cheap electric buffer with a microfiber bonnet.

I put it on all the plastic and rubber trim, too. When you buff the plastic, it gives it a nice mild gloss, not stupidly shiney, which I like.

Turtlewax Ice really lasts and it makes my black truck look great. Strangers have actually complemented me, which for a basically cheap compact stock truck in Alberta is really saying something, I guess.

I'm not a real nut about detailing and all that. I like it to look nice and clean. I'll give it a good going over once a year, but it's still just a truck. It's supposed to work for me, not the other way around.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ordinary household dish soap will get rid that white residue on your trim, no heavy duty scrubbing required.

First step in the Zaino process is to wash your vehicle with Dawn to strip off all the old wax on the paint.

Works great.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 05:57 AM

I will mask off the plastic shit. After I'm finished hand buffing, I go around the Truck with a toothbrush, to get the wax around the seams.
I use Turtle Ice only as a touch-up before a show. I use Mothers for the heavy work. And I wax the windows too.

Gerry

Wright it in script, Wrap it in blue, and Drop it in the winners circle!

Classic Ford Truck Club ; Member Rep
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 AM

I too am a huge Zaino fan, have been for probably about 15 years. However, about 2 years ago, I switched back to regular gas due to the price. I still use the Z6 detailing spray though for touch-up in between waxing....for the price, it leaves the best shine and smooth finish hands down.

I've now been using the regular Mother's line in the red bottles (two step glaze and wax, and occassionly the paint cleaner), applied in the spring and in the fall.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to herbz
I wax twice a year, after a good spring cleaning and clay bar and once again mid summer. I've had the same bottle of New Finish Car Polish for years.

5.4 Triton V8 3.73 LSD
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:23 PM

I use Mothers, been using it ever since i started driving basically LOL! The stuff has never let me down. My '03 Mustang GT looks better today then it did rolling out of the factory. The paint is so freakin smooth, and the metallics just pop at you.
Gonna do the FX2 as soon as all the b.s rain stops. Gonna give it the full treatment..... wash, and then the Mothers claybar rub down, then Mothers FX wax. Hoping it will make the Oxford White so bright it will be hard to look at LOL!

2008 Oxford White F150 FX2 SPORT Super Crew,5.4L.
2003 Satin Silver Clearcoat Mustang GT,4.6L 2V,5 speed.
stripped,slammed,& cammed!

aka 1LOW03GT

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode