Please help '99 4.2l pcv system - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By donrogal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Please help '99 4.2l pcv system

Hello, please help with an issue that's driving me crazy. My 1999 4.2 litre is showing fault codes p0171 and p0174, likely a vacuum leak. One of the common issues is the valve, tubing, or elbows in the pcv system. I want to remove the hoses and the valve from front to back in order to inspect properly. The pcv valve is on the valve cover, passenger side, and the hose goes: a)to a Y connector that leads to a connection near the fire wall and b) behind the intake manifold where it becomes impossible to follow. I've tried lights and mirrors to see where the hose goes but things are so tight behind the intake and so close to the fire wall that all I can make out is an elbow and then I cannot follow it further. Can anyone tell me where the end of that hose goes (where the gases are re-introduced into the intake) so that I can disconnect things at the pcv valve, the end of the Y connection, and the 're-introduction end', remove the whole apparatus and inspect everything without tearing apart a bunch of stuff to get at it? Replacing the pcv hose is shown at .3 hours in a '99 f150 labour manual, and so I'm thinking that it shouldn't be that hard to do but I'm a loss. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:02 PM

I have no clue .. but if having no clue and wanting one , I'd go to the local pick N pull auto wreckers and have a look see on something that might not matter if I pull some of it apart just to see how it's put together

this has worked for me before
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Hi I Like, I solved the mystery. I found a pic of an intake manifold and some hoses lying on a workbench (http://www.f150forum.com/f86/1998-pl...-lines-263057/) and determined that the pcv hose system was identical to mine. So I deduced where it would go and sure enough, found the elbow end where it goes back into the intake (under the throttle body). I took off the throttle body cover and air intake housing to get at the rubber elbow that is notorious for developing holes and causing a vacuum leak with resulting fault codes. Guess what? It had a hole. So I did go to a local wrecker and managed to find an identical elbow in a totally cannibalized f150 (the elbow was in good shape; the f150, not so much). I put it on this afternoon and will see if that solves my problem. Driving around with the check engine light on is frustrating!! Thanks for your input.
herbz likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode