Please Help a fellow Fordie - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Please Help a fellow Fordie

Okay I went to the store when I left to go home I turned on the lights all of a sudden my dash lights went out, I tried to turn off then on the lights got them to turn on, I drove carefully home when I tried to turn off the lights. I could not push the switch in all the way when I punched it in I heard a loud POP/Crack I quickly ran inside to grab the fire extinguisher jus in case and got my cell phone out incase I had to call 911. Being as careful as I could I took a look at the switch to investigate why I couldn't completely push the button in all the way only to hear crackling sounds. I quickly popped the trunk to get my tool set so I could disconnect the battery, after getting the battery disconnected I called 911 I thought I smelled smoke so I wanted to be sure my ride was not about to go up in flames. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what could be wrong. My first guess would be I need another new light switch ( I had it replaced last year because one day while driving home I gingerly pulled the switch to turn the lights on when the whole assembly fell apart in my hand tonight was the first issue I have had since the repair. The assembly is still in tact. Any ideas as to what may be wrong would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 05:56 AM

Garage
Welcome to fordtough.ca Colin, from Denver, Co with your 94 Mercury Topaz, vespa Px & Ford Transit wagon (coming soon).

Sounds like a short, I think you're on the right track with getting a new switch, sounds like the old one is fubar, maybe you need to replace that Topaz with an F150?

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 06:46 AM

Garage
+1 on R/R with the F-series replacement. I have a question, myself. How did you get a Topaz to last this long? Next question is, do you have HID lights?

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 07:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructicon View Post
I have a question, myself. How did you get a Topaz to last this long?
I'd add to that....how does an American Topaz owner in Colorado find his way to a Canadian F150 site looking for help ??

Not that you're not welcome, just wondering is all.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 07:36 PM

Garage
Because the Americans always end up coming to us for the answers and we always give them what they want.

The Future - Who knows?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopazGuy View Post
Okay I went to the store when I left to go home I turned on the lights all of a sudden my dash lights went out, I tried to turn off then on the lights got them to turn on, I drove carefully home when I tried to turn off the lights. I could not push the switch in all the way when I punched it in I heard a loud POP/Crack I quickly ran inside to grab the fire extinguisher jus in case and got my cell phone out incase I had to call 911. Being as careful as I could I took a look at the switch to investigate why I couldn't completely push the button in all the way only to hear crackling sounds. I quickly popped the trunk to get my tool set so I could disconnect the battery, after getting the battery disconnected I called 911 I thought I smelled smoke so I wanted to be sure my ride was not about to go up in flames. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what could be wrong. My first guess would be I need another new light switch ( I had it replaced last year because one day while driving home I gingerly pulled the switch to turn the lights on when the whole assembly fell apart in my hand tonight was the first issue I have had since the repair. The assembly is still in tact. Any ideas as to what may be wrong would be appreciated

[SIGPIC]
summer: RIP 72 Bronc, 68 Merc,
Daily:94 Exp xlt , Barney the PSD CW
projects: all on hold for now
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT4MT View Post
Welcome to fordtough.ca Colin, from Denver, Co with your 94 Mercury Topaz, vespa Px & Ford Transit wagon (coming soon).

Sounds like a short, I think you're on the right track with getting a new switch, sounds like the old one is fubar, maybe you need to replace that Topaz with an F150?

Thanks for the welcome, I actually rented a F350 just a couple weeks ago and loved it... The gas mileage was horrible but truck was cool especially that ford Sync feature.

Quote:
+1 on R/R with the F-series replacement. I have a question, myself. How did you get a Topaz to last this long? Next question is, do you have HID lights?
Yes I love the f-series trucks, to answer the question on how the topaz is still going strong. I change the oil every 4 months it has 142,000 miles on it it's been in the family for 12 years hopefully this is not a big issue with the lights....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT4MT View Post
I'd add to that....how does an American Topaz owner in Colorado find his way to a Canadian F150 site looking for help ??

Not that you're not welcome, just wondering is all.

The Tempo/topaz form in the states is no longer. This was the first ford forum I found.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome even though I am from Denver, Colorado (that does not own a F150)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 07:21 AM

Garage
Did you put HID lights in?

The Future - Who knows?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Did you put HID lights in?

No I have not, is that recommended?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 12:02 PM

Garage
I'm thinking the HID's were a possible trouble spot for your switch issue, if you had them....which you do not. lol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode