Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Ford out of stock

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  timebomb 
#1 ·
Hi to all Members.
I want to tell you my situation.
My 2005 F150 started to have very stiff steering as if the power steering was stopping and starting.
Brought the truck to my service mechanic on Wed June 8 and discovered the steering shaft from the firewall to the steering box was seizing up.
There are a pair of small u-joints attached to the ends of the steering shaft.
Turns out they are on back order from Ford and they don't have enough for USA or Canada!!.
My truck is still sitting at the garage, I can't drive it and the mechanic can't get the part to fix it.
Has anyone out there run into this problem?
Do you think I should talk to Ford?
I don't have a clue as to the wait time or availability of this part and I can't use my truck for work so I'm out of work and not earning any money.
Anyone want to give me some feedback?
Looking for solutions
Thank

#4 ·
What about the aftermarket?

2005 is well out of any warranty period, (if that was a concern) so I'd be looking at NAPA Autoparts or some other jobber for the required parts.

I can't imagine Ford would be the only supplier of the u-joints on the steering shaft, and if this is costing money in lost wages, time is of the essence.

Good luck and hope it works out for you.

#6 ·
Thank everyone.
I finally did manage a formal complaint to Ford.
I was on the phone for 37 minutes and the individual on the other end didn't own a Ford and did not drive!
I will post again when I get some answers and let you know how it went.
Thanks again.

#11 ·
I had the same issue with the same part back in May and had no trouble getting it replaced and repaired. Truck was in and out of the shop in one afternoon... all fixed. Almost $700 later mind you... but yeah, I can steer. A couple corners were pretty scary before that got rectified.

#16 ·
I had the same issue last year. I sprayed mine down thoroughly with Nutz lube, and let it soak over night, then I gave it another squirt and took it for a drive. By the 4th corner I took it felt pretty good and by the time I got back home it was like new again. Now a spray to my steering shaft has become part of my oil change ritual. Been driving it for about 8 months with no issues. That being said, I did check for excessive play , when I looked at them originally, and decided they were still ok, or I would have just replaced them to start with.
Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.