Considering selling used truck in a local auction - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Question Considering selling used truck in a local auction

I am considering selling my 1996 Mazda B-series truck at a local auction unreserved. Cost is a $35 entry fee plus 10% of the auction price (min $65).

I could sell the truck privately, but I don't want to deal with all the tire kickers and such....would like to sell it off in the next month or two.

The truck has just over 150,000 km. I bought the truck at 60,xxx km about 11 or so years ago (just after the 3 year factory warranty had expired).

Needs a new windshield (has a long crack near the top, but isn't in the vision area). Cost for a replacement windshield is in the low $300 range plus 12% HST. Replace windshield?

Also, I have a set of four fairly new studded winter tires on it's own rims. I was thinking about including the tires with the truck. I don't want to be bothered selling the winter tires separately.

Comments?

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard sprayed on bed liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 PM

Garage
No expert on auctions, but probably smart to go in with no reserve and not have wild expectations on price.

Windshield replacement would be a judgement call....would it make or break the sale?

If that's all it needs to pass a safety inspection, and the truck is solid otherwise, I wouldn't bother, it's something a new owner can maybe choose not to do.

You'll likely not see any return for your money spent if you do have it replaced, but that's just my opinion.

Throwing in the studded winters is a good idea, sweetens the deal for a buyer, and if you've got no use for them, might as well get rid of them.

I'm with you on the whole selling thing...I'd rather poke my eyes out with a sharp stick than deal with the 95% of the tire kickers with nothing better to do than waste your time.

Good luck!

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,

Unreserved is the only option with the one local auction place....Reserved auction is for vehicles under 10 years old. At each auction, up to 100 vehicles are sold. Lotsa vehicles are high mileage type. I will have to check with them to see if I have to replace the windshield. Also, I have to check on the insurance. The other auction place, Ritchie Bros, recommends insurance until the unit is sold....the number of vehicles sold at Ritchie Bros is typically a dozen or two.

A Compustar two-way remote starter/alarm system, Alpine CD player and upgraded speakers are bonus features too. Good to have when it's -35 to -40 deg C in the winter.

Also, I will check if any of my friends need a cheap truck for yard work and stuff.

The proceeds of the truck sale will go to a new programmer chip, SCT X3.

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:57 AM

what are you hopeing to get for it ? to get the extra buck you will need to deal with the tire kickers..... people at auctions look for the cheapest thing and deals. Ive been to a few auto auctions aswell as many other types and things can go super cheap or super expensive those shows on TV havent helped people think they will get rich off stuff.

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Similarly aged Ford Rangers and Mazda B-series RWD (all over 200K kms) at the local Kijiji and Craigslist appear to be priced in the $2500 range....prices in BC are notably more than those in Ontario. I would be happy to get at least half that without dealing with all the tirekickers. The body has some rust around the rear left wheel area.

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:07 PM

yeah I would say at least half that if not a little less

the old saying goes "its only worth what people are willing to pay".

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

It would be sad selling it. It's my first vehicle that I had bought with my own $$$. Recently, I had to take out the aftermarket stereo system (two amps, a cap and a powered sub). Probably would have kept on driving it if it was a 4x4.

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:22 AM

i used to work at the local auction place here in edmonton (osman auctions) and all i can say is that those places are crooked as.... well crooked. plus the employees BEAT on the cars there, not gonna lie i did too.

just realized how old this thread is haha
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Selling my B3000 to a friend's son....it's been parked since early January 2012. Hooked up an intelligent trickle charger/monitor while it was parked. About $500 was paid to replace the seized rear drum brakes in Nov 2011....arrggh!!!

Won't be buying a programmer chip just yet....maybe next summer.

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 AM

My buddy just sold his Ranger that he paid $650 for, at the auction here in NB for $1700. I think he had to put a reserve on it otherwise it could've sold for $100 and he would've had to take it. He had it at $1900, but once the bidding was over they called him and it was his choice to let it go at that price. I dont know if the rules are the same down there, but as long as theres a reserve you can always refuse the offer if too low.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode