Tire Chains/Cables on a 4x4? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Tire Chains/Cables on a 4x4?

Yesterday, I bought a pair of Cobra tire cables for my Ranger 4x4. Over the years, I have had several sets of tire cables on my other truck, a RWD Mazda B3000.

Just wondering if I should consider getting a second pair of tire cables since the Ranger is a 4x4. One pair with a spider tensioner is priced at $128 after HST (Canadian Tire). Lordco and another auto parts store wanted $220-$254 before HST.

Since I already have a set of four studded winter tires on the Ranger, I think that I should be good to go in nearly all winter conditions. If I was traveling on the mountain highways on a regular basis, I think that a second pair of tire cables would be worth it. But I don't typically travel on the mountain highways very often....probably 1-3 times this winter (0 last winter).

Comments?

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard sprayed on bed liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 04:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
No experience with chains/cables on a pickup here Dave..Even our Gov't pickups don't run them..They may help in some situations, but if the roads are that bad, i will stay home.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:56 PM

I think BC laws are a bit different than here but I just run good tires and locked in most of the time for snow and ice. I run a lot of oilfield lease roads. Problem with chains and cables is you have to go a lot slower or beat up your truck. Just my opinion.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

On certain BC mountain highways, the law is typically winter tires OR carry chains. I already have winter tires. But with whiteout conditions in the Fraser Valley and elsewhere (Coquihalla), I want to be fully prepared for whatever nature throws at me. The Ranger is my first 4x4.

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard sprayed on bed liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 PM

Garage
Geesh, studded snow tires are illegal in Ontario...can't even think about chains.

Depends on your school of thought, but I figure you're always better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them ?

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
So you have a set of cables for the rear of your ranger, so if you put them on and in 4x4 if the front tires spin you may end up taking out your front end,

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:43 PM

in my opinion lumberjack.

if the roads are to shitty for winter tire/studded tires and 4x4 just stay home.
i have never seen anyone run snow chains ever. but dosnt hurt to have them just in case

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
In my opinion Blair

he asked a question and I gave him what I thought.

If you don't like me Blair than why don't you use your powers and do something about it

Not everyone here likes you being you say " your always right "

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 12:49 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to smokeshow
honestly summer tires that were half bald gave me no issues last year in my minivan and I was making trips to vancouver from the north at least once a month. The idea is to SLOW DOWN. I'm talkin being in a full whiteout on the highway doing 25km/h with my hazards on.
Am I being too cautious? I made it to my destination while the big 4x4 suv drove by and was in the ditch 6 kms ahead of me.

I've never been in a situation I couldn't get out of and SPEED is the only thing you need to adjust in any situation.

Now with that being said I finally caved and bought new ice treads for my vehicles this year and it's nice to be on them and not have such a worry but speed will always be dictated by weather.

The only things I have seen with chains on are big rigs and I've been driving for 2 years in the north and still dont know how to put em on lol.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 AM

I second the takeing out the front end you may need to run a full set on all four tires to get the max traction and an equal strain on the driveline.

Just keep it rubber side down.

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode