A Year in the Life of the Raptor. - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
 
SVT4MT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Port Elgin, Ontario
Posts: 4,741
Garage
A Year in the Life of the Raptor.

So, it's coming up on one year since I took delivery of my Raptor.

One of the interesting (read: trivial) things I found with the on-board instrumentation was that it was equipped with two trip odometers.

Each trip odometer logs four parameters : Running Time , Distance Travelled , Litres of fuel used and Average gas consumption.

Trip Odometer "A" sees usage from fill-up to fill-up, and gets reset each time.

Trip Odometer "B" has never been reset since the Raptor rolled off the assembly line in Dearborn.

This years mileage was slightly higher than normal for me, as I had three 2500 km road trips I took that were over and above daily driving.

Here's the stats:




The one that struck me the most was the amount of seat time I had.....do the math and 372 hours is roughly 15 straight days, or nine 40 hour work weeks.



Random thoughts on the last year, in no particular order:

Overall, it's been a good year, happy with the mods I've done and the performance of the truck in general.

The only real complaint was the driveline "clunk" issue that was solved by replacing the driveshaft under a TSB. 30 minutes on the hoist solved that problem.

The Raptor has received more compliments and comments than my Mustang ever did, and it hasn't been unusual for complete strangers to come up and start shooting the shit, no matter where I find myself.

Most common asked question : "Have you taken it off-road yet?"

Most common thought : " Not even close. You want to get it dirty and beat the hell out of it, buy your own. "

Most common answer : "Not yet, but eventually I'll take it for a rip" (Maybe)

Even though it can run on 87 octane, I swear it runs better on 91, and for the $10 or so extra per tank, why worry about it, run the 91.

The loss of one foot of box length (from 6.5' to 5.5') is more than you would think. I don't carry a lot of shit in my trucks, but I do notice that one foot.

Turn off the electronic nannies and jump on it, and this thing will get up and dance, which for a 6100 lb and change truck, is pretty good.

All in all, given that this truck replaced my Mustang, I don't miss the car at all. Might see another muscle car in my future, but for the short term, things are pretty good.

Thanks for tuning in.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
SVT4MT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 PM
 
lumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wallacetown
Posts: 2,701
Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
My truck has the second trip meter but I reset it the same time I reset the first 1, pretty kool how it shows run time and everything on your truck thats just sweet

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
lumberjack is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 PM
 
Northern Supercrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: watson lake, yukon
Posts: 4,280
Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
Great writeup..always nice to get updates like that..and she is a real head turner and conversational piece..even the gas mileage is good.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Northern Supercrew is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:31 PM
 
Viper238's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Woodstock, Ont
Posts: 3,353
Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT4MT View Post
So, it's coming up on one year since I took delivery of my Raptor.

One of the interesting (read: trivial) things I found with the on-board instrumentation was that it was equipped with two trip odometers.

Each trip odometer logs four parameters : Running Time , Distance Travelled , Litres of fuel used and Average gas consumption.

Trip Odometer "A" sees usage from fill-up to fill-up, and gets reset each time.

Trip Odometer "B" has never been reset since the Raptor rolled off the assembly line in Dearborn.

This years mileage was slightly higher than normal for me, as I had three 2500 km road trips I took that were over and above daily driving.

Here's the stats:




The one that struck me the most was the amount of seat time I had.....do the math and 372 hours is roughly 15 straight days, or nine 40 hour work weeks.



Random thoughts on the last year, in no particular order:

Overall, it's been a good year, happy with the mods I've done and the performance of the truck in general.

The only real complaint was the driveline "clunk" issue that was solved by replacing the driveshaft under a TSB. 30 minutes on the hoist solved that problem.

The Raptor has received more compliments and comments than my Mustang ever did, and it hasn't been unusual for complete strangers to come up and start shooting the shit, no matter where I find myself.

Most common asked question : "Have you taken it off-road yet?"

Most common thought : " Not even close. You want to get it dirty and beat the hell out of it, buy your own. "

Most common answer : "Not yet, but eventually I'll take it for a rip" (Maybe)

Even though it can run on 87 octane, I swear it runs better on 91, and for the $10 or so extra per tank, why worry about it, run the 91.

The loss of one foot of box length (from 6.5' to 5.5') is more than you would think. I don't carry a lot of shit in my trucks, but I do notice that one foot.
I noticed this as well on the new truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT4MT View Post
Turn off the electronic nannies and jump on it, and this thing will get up and dance, which for a 6100 lb and change truck, is pretty good.
You'll need to shut them off. You'll poop yourself watching the fuel efficiency sit @ 40 the whole time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT4MT View Post


All in all, given that this truck replaced my Mustang, I don't miss the car at all. Might see another muscle car in my future, but for the short term, things are pretty good.

Thanks for tuning in.
Nice write up!

I actually like all the new read outs on the 4.2" screen.
Viper238 is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:48 PM
 
BlairTruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 2,354
runtime is nice for buying a used vehicle. so you dont get an old crown vic that was a taxi cab that was never shut off in 10 years. or a diesel in alberta that they just run all night to keep them warm in the winter.



Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
BlairTruck is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:09 PM
 
Mrmagoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 1,566
Great writeup. Good to see an ex Stang owner that appreciates a truck. Been there, done that. Would be nice to get it off road just to see if it lives up to the hype.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
Mrmagoo is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 PM
 
smokeshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 65
Send a message via Skype™ to smokeshow
I was going to ask have you replaced any of the shocks yet? seems to have been an issue with the earlier models.
smokeshow is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
 
SVT4MT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Port Elgin, Ontario
Posts: 4,741
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeshow View Post
I was going to ask have you replaced any of the shocks yet? seems to have been an issue with the earlier models.
No problems here at all.....with anything !! Other than maybe the perpetual smile I get every time I turn the key.

I wasn't aware the '10's had issues with shocks. What have you heard about them that would cause them to require replacement?

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
SVT4MT is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:53 AM
 
hogdust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Etobicoke, Ontario
Posts: 1,218
Send a message via Skype™ to hogdust
Wow, you almost have the same KM on your Truck in a year then my 10. I got mine with just a bit over 16K when I picked it up Nov 30 11. I now have a bit over 25K on her.

I wish I had the on-board instrumentation on mine.

How many Raptors in your neck of the woods? While I get some attention with mine it is not that often.

I am on a couple Raptor forums and have never read any thread regarding issues with the Shocks. I have never had one with mine. Probably a rumor started by the GM boys lol

2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn Northern Edition - Patriot Blue Pearl
Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover - Flowmaster 10 Muffler - Tint - Side Steps - Bedrug - 20x9 Fuel Beast Wheels - TrailFX Bull Bar with Light Bar
hogdust is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
 
SVT4MT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Port Elgin, Ontario
Posts: 4,741
Garage
Not many Raptors around here at all...... I know of a '10 like yours that was sold from Peninsula Ford in Owen Sound (think you even mentioned checking that one out if memory serves).

I think I've got the only black '11 in Bruce and Grey counties !!!!

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
SVT4MT is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch Life? Maritime Storm Ranger Forum 6 09-05-2010 09:39 AM
NEED HELP: 2008 3.0L on Life Support savage rules Ranger Forum 13 03-22-2009 02:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome