I Hate Rust!!! - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

I Hate Rust!!!

I hate rust on my trucks, so with my new one, I got it krowned the first week I owned it, and I'm thinking of getting it done again in the spring. I can see rust starting on the brake calipers so I will paint them this summer. What are some things you do to keep rust from your truck?

2012 XLT F150 (Sterling Grey)
Tonneau Cover, 15% Tint, 6" Rough Country Lift, 18" Helo 6 Wheels(chrome), 35" Toyo Open Country A/T's, SuperChip, Rear Wheel well Liners, Hood Shield,
Window Visors, Fender Flares

Last edited by KIETH F150; 03-07-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:43 AM

Garage
Single best thing I've found (which you've covered) is yearly application of Rust Check/Krown.

Sometimes I've been known to crawl under with a spray bomb of Rust Check and touch up the dry looking spots.

Other than that, power washing the underbody on a regular basis, touching up paint chips and washing/waxing in the nicer weather....all the usual stuff.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 AM

move south

2004 F150 Scab 5.4

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM

In the winter time I've always bought the cans of Rust check and sprayed the rockers, halfway up the doors, around the wheel wells, hood lip trunk lip etc etc after having the underside undrcoated.
Basically any spot that I figure is a trouble spot for rust. I've even done this to my girlfriends car when she bought it new. I dont believe in washing vehicles in the winter, it just activates the salt and causes it to run in all the little cracks.
I've done this to all my cars in the past and have never had a problem with rust on the the exterior of them.
It looks like sh*t and is a pain to get off but doesnt hurt the paint underneath
I coat them a few times during the winter. Looks Nasty though
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 11:16 AM

My 95 truck I went with the dealer lifetime rust option... it rotted out after 16 years o this time I doing rust proofing once a year at a local person who offers the service.

He's done my wifes 07 Mazda 3 and father in-laws 92 GMS and they're both rust free
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT4MT View Post
Single best thing I've found (which you've covered) is yearly application of Rust Check/Krown.

Sometimes I've been known to crawl under with a spray bomb of Rust Check and touch up the dry looking spots.

Other than that, power washing the underbody on a regular basis, touching up paint chips and washing/waxing in the nicer weather....all the usual stuff.
Doesn't pressure washing take off the Rust Check underneath?

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM

Garage
Your probably right, pressure washing more than likely takes it off the surfaces on the underbody of the truck, hence my comment about sliding under and doing quick touch ups every once and a while.

I think the real value comes from the creep factor, when it gets into all the cracks and crevices, and when it's applied inside the panels.

Driving in snow/slush/rain would have a similar effect as power washing...even though it's not at the same pressure, the underbody sees abuse from the elements a lot more frequently than it sees the power wash.

After saying all that, compared to oiling and the tar based sealers out there, I still maintain it as the preferred method of inhibiting rust.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

This is going to drive me nut!!! I washed the truck 2-3 times at car wash, Today was the first I could do it at home with a power washer, Not happy the diff/axles, shockes, top of A arm, Spindle rust, rust, rust. Not even two months of winter, I'm going to have to do a tear down and get every thing powder coated LOL.

Tonneau Cover, 15% Tint, 6" Rough Country Lift, 18" Helo 6 Wheels(chrome), 35" Toyo Open Country A/T's, SuperChip, Rear Wheel well Liners, Hood Shield,
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 05:13 PM

Garage
Surface rust is going to happen on a daily driver. Best accept it as a fact of life living in our climate, or start shopping for that white jacket with the reallllly long sleeves.

Powdercoating is another option of course....would make a great thread topic. lol

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

My neighbours already think I'm nuts with my old truck, every spare minute I had in the summer I was under it with a brush and paint touching it up

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode