Lightning - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Lightning

Ok so last night there was a wicked storm that blew through this area.... parents had a tree outfront of there place get struck by lightning, well the base of the tree more the root area... 3'to4' away there vehicals were parked they didnt think anything of the vehicals they didnt appear effected untill my mom went to go out.

They have a 2001 Jeep Grande Cherokee and a 2009 F150, the jeep will start but shuts off right away and after the first time starting it none of the lights will go off and the gauges stay on.. even with key off and out of vehical only way to get them off is to unhook battery....

the F150 will start and run but has no gauges and all displays read zero.... and wont shift or read what gear its in

I havent been there yet but they say niether vehical took a direct hit but it was closest to the f150 it blew plants out of the ground (hostas)

anyone have idea's or had a simaliar problem... ? heading over there soon to check all the fuses/relays out....

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:04 PM

Wow, sounds like it was a hell of a bang.

Even though it wasn't a "direct hit", lightning is basically a huge static discharge. That can wreak havoc with electronics.

Just to give you an example, every winter I've got to be really careful if I walk across the room and touch my laptop. The central heating makes the air so dry, I give off a static spark whenever I touch stuff. I've got to be really careful to touch a metal connector on the side of the laptop to discharge myself first, otherwise I'll completely lock-up my computer. Even the power button won't work then. The only way to reset my laptop is to unplug the power supply, pull out the battery, and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then I can boot it up like nothing happened.

Back to your parents' vehicles. After you've made sure the fuses are good, I'd try to do a "hard reset" on the vehicles' computers by disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes. Try touching the positive and negative battery leads together (with the battery disconnected, of course! ), to drain off any residual voltage.

I don't know if that'll work, but it's worth a try since it costs nothing, and you won't be any worse off if it doesn't. Failing that, my guess is that one or more computer modules were damaged, and I don't even want to think about what that would cost.

Good luck!

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 02:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Shitty deal.

I second the battery disconnect wait 20 mins first.
Then get a light bulb and place it inbetween the two terminals before putting together to discharge.
Reason being is, there is capacitors that hold power for the air bag system after the battery is disconnected (incase a front end collision and battery is damaged the air bags will still work) Using a light bulb will add resistance to it so it's not a short circuit to the system.

Also though I would Call insurance company. Cost to fix could be a write off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

yeah went over both vehicals all fuses seem ok relays hard to check so both vehicals will be towed tuesday morning, there ins agent told them in most cases lightning strikes write off the vehicals even if it wasnt a direct hit theres always problems down the road.

What pisses me off is the ins company said they cannot get them into a rental vehical untill tuesday.... there are airports open but they refuse to use them.... saying they are to far away.... Hamilton is not far away.. also they plan to send both vehicals to an autobody shop.... to me its either a waste of time or if they plan to try and fix them there they are crazy what do they know about electronics and wireing... To me they should go to a mechanical shop at least the F150... its an 09 with under 40,000klms...

There ins company is RBC ive been screwed by them before so im deffinatly no fan of theres.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 PM

Garage
I've honestly never heard of anything like this happening before....interesting to follow, keep the updates coming, as I'm sure it's bound to happen again.

Don't get me started on another insurance company rant. lol

Proof once again that Mother Nature doesn't [email protected]#$ around.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Have a Google around for vehicle electronics and lightning strikes. It doesn't seem very common, but when it does happen it looks like it can do some expensive damage.

Seems like a real shame to write off two good vehicles like that. You'd think in this day and age the repairs should pretty much be plug n' play, just replace whatever modules got fried and reprogram, if there's no damage to the wiring harness. I guess it's not that easy or cheap ...

But it would be interesting to have a snoop around with a scan tool, just to see what modules are showing up with problems. I suspect there's not much you could do to reflash them without the official super-secret Ford or Chrysler software, though.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 02:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Static charge could affect a number of components. Arcing in relays. Blowing capacitors. Desoldering components.

Could be up to replacing every electronic component/ circuit including sensors and reprogramming everything. Yikes!

Edit:
For the insurance company could just be easier to replace the vehicle then to spend 2yrs chasing electrical ghosts and shit loads of headaches for the client.

In the long run they could spend more on repairs/ rentals then the value of the vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Well both were towed thismorning, when the body shop found out there was no exterior damage they looked into it and said they did not need to go there then but they gave 2 mechanics shops names ones an ok place the others questionable. Dad told them straight up ones a dodge its going to the dodge dealer the others a Ford its going to the Ford dealer, she called back after about ahalf hour and said that was fine.

No word on the Jeep they still hadent looked at it by close today, the F150 needs an alternator right off the bat its fried so they had to call to get approval to put one on the truck... the dealer it went to doesnt have one in stock they hope to get one in tomarrow or thursday.... who doesnt stock an alternator for a 4.6L ??

In the mean time my moms replacement vehical is a Jeep Compass she hates it and has only had it a few hrs I guess its got a ton of blindspots...... I just told her to open her eyes lol

My dads driveing a Chevy truck... he says its def no Ford and would never buy one.... so im guessing he doesnt like it very much...

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

oh and where the lightning struck, there was a solar light on a metal rod stuck in the ground, well the rod was nocked over and the solar light is yet to be found.... it may have disintegrated.... or is in the next township lol

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Computers being replaced with a Ford re-man ? should go in tomarrow if they can get one re-man is about $1000 and a new one they says 3 or more times that.... and 6hrs to install it... ?

Jeep, still havent touched it yet.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode