smoked plate cover - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

smoked plate cover

well i used to hate these but i have been on the black out binge and think smoked license plate covers would look good. anyone use these any problems? i know they are illegal, but i see tons of ppl around with smoked tail lights witch are a lot worse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
I agree with you on the smoked tail lights cause some guys get a bit crazy with it and you can't see there brake/turn lights I have a tinted plate cover on my truck but it's on the front

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

i did a little google search across a few ontario/canada fourms seems to be hit and miss with tickets. i could def see a problem with the rear. i might buy them and play the the stupid card if i get pulled over. I do live in peterborough and cops seem to be better out here.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 11:09 PM

I smoked the tail lights on Henry. I followed it, and they show-up just fine. Some vehicles come stock with darkened tails. I guess its a taste thing. Thats whats great about the world, we are all different. It sure would be boring if we weren't.

Gerry

Wright it in script, Wrap it in blue, and Drop it in the winners circle!

Classic Ford Truck Club ; Member Rep
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
Smoking the tail lights is oh k but when you go over board and there almost black is when it'just done right stupid, and yes your right it's a taste thing everyone has there own taste on what looks good.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 12:31 AM

I run the tinted covers. I have never been pulled over specifically for the covers. One time when I was pulled over, the cop raised an eyebrow towards the cover put did not ticket me. I played dumb and he said you really shouldn't be using those covers. I never changed it and have been fine since.

2001 F350 CC SWB 6spd....currently getting a complete 'makeover'. Stay tuned.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 12:55 AM

I've got the slight blue coloured ones and I've ever only had 1 issue with the cops over them.

I was on a trip to my parent's and I was stopped at a truckstop for some food. When I came out an OPP was parked next to me. He got out of his car and mentioned that I shouldn't have them on. I asked why and he replied that the cameras they have in the cruisers can't always read them and that he could give me a ticket for obstructing the plate. I told him I travel the 407 every few months and I never fail to get a bill from them, so maybe they have better cameras. And if its illegal to have them then why are places like Crappy tire allowed to sell them, sounds like entrapment to me. He just grunted, got in his car and left.

Whaddya mean I dont pay my bills?? Whydya think I'm broke!!

03 Lariat Crew 4x4 Line-x bedliner, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau.
RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 AM

Garage
Much like a lot of other things with law enforcement, it's fairly subjective.

Depends on what kind of day the guy with the badge is having, and whether or not you catch his attention.

Tail lights are one thing, the Highway Traffic Act says they can't have covers over them, but there is also the clause that they have to be visible from a certain distance.

That leaves a bit of latitude on tail light tint... I could see them looking past the tint/covers if they can see them well enough when they're lit up.

Plus, as Gerry said, some vehicles come equipped with smoked tail lights, and if it's not good from the factory, there's a bigger picture problem.

Licence plates are a different matter IMO.....law enforcement uses that info as a starting point when they're going to pull you over for whatever reason.

I think that based on the info that comes back, they can tell a lot about the potential threat they might be exposed to when they make the stop, so whether or not they think you're hiding your plate because you don't want them to be able to read it because you don't want to get caught for that outstanding warrant , or you're doing it to be stylin' for looks is open for debate.

Obscuring your plate is indeed illegal, and it also gives them a free pass to pull you over and harass you when the mood strikes them. (Not that they can't do that anyway)

I removed the smoked cover I had on the back, but maintain a slightly smoked one on the front to absorb bug/stone damage.

I'd say as long as you keep it subtle, you'll be good.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

yea def hit and miss with the cops mood. i plan to keep them clean at all times so i guess ill see how it goes. thanks for your opinions. as for tinted tails yes some look good but some are literately just black. im glad ford made the darker ones on the new fx4's

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode