Heads up - check your air filter. - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Heads up - check your air filter.

Just a heads up after a somewhat scary incident yesterday.

Wife and I were getting the summer tires installed on her Edge, so we had both vehicles.

Going home, wife makes a left on to the highway and loses power, limps it down the road and pulls over, literally walking distance from the dealership.

Car will start and then shuts down, can't get it to run. We pop back to the dealership and they provide us with a tech, armed with a laptop.

Long story short, a mouse had gotten into the airbox and chewed through the paper media of the filter...chewed right through, so that a chunk of debris got on the MAF sensor and screwed up the air/fuel calculation.

Props for a quick diagnosis, the whole thing took less than 30 minutes on busy, busy Friday afternoon at 3:00pm, when everyone should have been winding down for the weekend.

I hear someone asking why that wasn't detected when the car was in for service.

Oil change and service was done last month, in all fairness, the vehicle was in for a simple tire swap, no reason to check the filter, and it could have happened two days ago for all we know, and up until that exact moment, the car was running fine.

The filter was pretty chewed away, but anyone who's had dealings with mice knows they can do a hell of a lot of damage in a short period of time.

Scary part is that with that unexpected loss of power, had someone been northbound and not paying attention (texting maybe), or if she had been in the middle of the southbound lane while crossing over lanes, there could have been a nasty accident.

I'm pretty grateful and thankful it was a non-event, and I'll give a yet another shout out to Montgomery Ford in Kincardine, who did me a solid yet again. There's another one for all the "stealership" haters.

Ironically, while getting the tires swapped, we took a 2015 Edge for a test drive and I believe by June or so, we'll have one. lol It's a pretty sweet ride, liked it a lot.

Moral of the story - after a long cold winter, check your air filters and intake tubes.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 AM

Garage
How did it get through the steel mesh?

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I haven't looked at the intake box myself, so that's a good question, but I don't put anything past a rodent's determination.

Late edit : took a quick look and at first glance there doesn't appear to be metal screen, but it's difficult to tell for sure.

There's the sealed airbox that has the filter in it, and then an elephant trunk from the bottom of the airbox to a position behind the grille.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 AM

Garage
Very lucky indeed that it was a non-event.
My son is a mechanic and texts me pictures all the time of rodent nests and damage. Quite common thing I guess.

2014 F150 FX4 | SuperCrew | 5.0L | 4x4 | Sterling Grey Metallic
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 07:28 AM

Garage
I assumed that all air filters had a wire mesh. All of the filters I've put in have had them.

The Future - Who knows?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The filter did have the wire mesh Mike, but I'm guessing the wire mesh still allowed chunks of debris to get past and interfere with the MAF sensor.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 11:53 PM

Garage
Stop putting cheese in the cold air intake.

The Future - Who knows?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:58 AM

Re: "Stealership Haters"
Not all Ford Dealerships are the same, the Montgomery Ford Store is family owned, and not run by an conglomerate. Their family name is on the line, so lets hope that they will remain that way for your sake.

One of my two local Ford store's was family owned at one time.
Two of the long term mechanic's from that now conglomerate owned Ford store opened up their own garage, after management told them to "up sell" additional parts or services that were not required, or be terminated.

A vast majority of those former customers now take their vehicles to those two mechanics independent garage.

The right mindset , people, and parts, make the difference to be sure.

Sorry, my web search for Ford Brand mouse traps only yielded Ford mouse trap rocker retainer clips only...

Press on regardless!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yah, if you're not happy, no reason to stick around a particular dealership, dentist or grocery store.

I've talked to guys that got a hate on for Montgomery Ford, for whatever reason, so each customers experience will vary, regardless.

I've been lucky, and as long as I feel I'm being treated fairly, I'll continue, but if I don't, I'll move on.

I started out with Peninsula Ford in Owen Sound/Port Elgin, had some not so great dealings and was unhappy with how they did business and ended up in Kincardine.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy D. View Post
Re: "Stealership Haters"
Not all Ford Dealerships are the same, the Montgomery Ford Store is family owned, and not run by an conglomerate. Their family name is on the line, so lets hope that they will remain that way for your sake.

One of my two local Ford store's was family owned at one time.
Two of the long term mechanic's from that now conglomerate owned Ford store opened up their own garage, after management told them to "up sell" additional parts or services that were not required, or be terminated.

A vast majority of those former customers now take their vehicles to those two mechanics independent garage.

The right mindset , people, and parts, make the difference to be sure.

Sorry, my web search for Ford Brand mouse traps only yielded Ford mouse trap rocker retainer clips only...
Is that Northway? We have a CarNation Used Superstore and Kia in Georgetown, they are slimeballs, wouldn't buy a vehicle there if they paid me. Would probably still lose money on it.

Nicole - 2004 Ford F-150 Lightning #3573
Emily - 2010 Ford F-150 FX4

Amsoil Independent Dealer
Amsoil Home Page

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode