Thoughts on Mods to New F250 ?? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fordsforever6.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Thoughts on Mods to New F250 ??

Hi Guys - I'm from Calgary and new to the forum.

I'm looking at 3 mods to the new 2018 F250 I just bought in Calgary.

1) I just added a BakFlip Revolver X4, but want a Headache Rack as well. I have a pretty high end metal fabrication shop even though it is in a residential garage. I can do hydraulic bending, welding, plasma, etc. So am thinking about a home made headache rack. Maybe a cool design, but I like the idea 3/16 wire mesh to start. Any thoughts on best practices or ideas for DIY headache racks?

2) As I an retired now and officially a senior (and fat), I need an extension for the integrated tailgate bed step to get it a little bit lower. For now I just use a stool, but will start playing with a design going forward, maybe a lower step I keep in the bed and clip to the existing step to get it lower to the ground. Has anyone else done this for a SuperDuty ??

3) While I love the BoxRail system, most of my cargo issues relate to strapping down dimensional steel. So I am looking at a plywood base to the bed that includes recessed E-Tracks. Has anyone else done this? I have never removed box bolts on a pickup before so was looking at just attaching the plywood to the existing cargo tie-downs. But I would be receptive to removing the box bolts depending on how tough this is. Any thoughts ???

Thanks guys.

Pete
Retired (with a nasty Metal Fabrication Hobby)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:00 PM

Garage
Congrats on the new truck. Although I can't help much, I will comment on the bed bolts...I recently took the box off my sons 2003 Ranger, and from what we found, the bolts are a one time use style. I was surprised when I took them apart, to find self tapping bolts with j-clip nuts. Needless to say, we had to go to dealer and buy expensive replacements. I wouldn't be surprised if the newer trucks use the same style bolts. So, you should research that, or use a different method to attach plywood...like you say, maybe the factory tie downs.
CalgaryPT likes this.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

That's good advice. Thanks @Fordsforever6.0. If it were an older truck I'd just screw into bed. I hadn't heard about the bed bolt issue and never really paid much attention to it as the only bed I ever removed was years ago and we were scraping it so didn't care about the bed. But your point sealed the deal for me.

This is what I settled on: pressure treated 3/4 plywood, E-Track strips and rigger bolts to attach to the factory tie-downs. This way it is removable just with the E-Track clips. The reason I didn't secure the rigging to the plywood just in case the track separates from plywood over time, the load will still be secured through the dislodged track. For really heavy loads I would of course tap into the box cleats/factory ties downs as well.

I also plan to weld a 12" round hoop to a removable E-track clip that will go at the front of the box in the last E-Track hole. This will allow me to load dimensional steel in 12 foot lengths--just put them through the hoop, rest on tailgate, and secure with a rachet strap. I never have to get into the bed!

Lots of fun

(Sorry if the pics are junk. Technology has a restraining order against me.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg etrack1.jpg (42.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg etrack2.jpg (52.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg etrack3.jpg (48.1 KB, 7 views)

Pete
Retired (with a nasty Metal Fabrication Hobby)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:16 PM

Garage
Looks pretty good to me...keep up the good work.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 02:44 AM
Apprentice

Congrats on your new truck.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode