Advice on '02 Ford Explorer Sport - Has a few issues - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
msutil

Advice on '02 Ford Explorer Sport - Has a few issues

I own a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 (80,000KM), which I just had in for it's usual 5000KM servicing. I can change the oil, but I'm definitely no pro-mechanic or anything so I generally always bring the thing into a shop. Anyways, in their multi-point inspection they noted a couple issues which I thought I might ask about here.

First of all... And I did take notice of this myself just a few months ago. The front crank and pinion seals are leaking. Apparently this is notorious on these Explorers. So, my question to all of you is how critical is it that I have this repaired quickly? Given that it's the front seals, is it less critical than the rear (vehicle is RWD)? How major is this problem? If I drive much more without having it repaired, do I run the risk of damaging something? They quoted Ford parts E6TZ-6700-A (Crank seal @ $219) and 5L2Z-4L616-AB (Pinion seal @ $131.94) plus $13 + $21 for labour. Although they might have reversed the labour and parts costs. Does this cost sound a little too inflated? If so, how much should it be?

Second... I bought the vehicle 1 year ago at which point, I'm not sure when the last transmission flush was. I've yet to have it flushed, and currently, it's looking a little dirty... Not exactly pink anymore. Could this be something serious with the transmission, or just normal wear given that it hasn't been flushed in 1 year+?

And one other thing... A couple of months ago, once when I went to cold start the truck, it would not stay running. Only after about 5 times turning it over did it finally start and stay running. This has yet to happen since. The shop I had it into advised there was a fair bit of gunk in the gas tank and advised this might have been the cause, even though I always buy good gas. How would I correct this? Just dump in some fuel injector cleaner or something? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for all input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 02:42 AM

Welcome to Ford Tough.
Heres my 2 cents.

By crank seal I'm assuming they mean front crankshaft seal. Pretty much keeps engine oil in the engine. When the seal goes it will leak on your driveway... also will have to top up your oil level frequently to avoid damaging your engine. They probably got the parts/labour backwards, but $219 sounds not too bad to do the seal. Pinion seal is the seal that seals the front drive shaft to the front differential. If it's leaking and you don't keep it topped up it could damage gears etc. in front differential for 4X4. Again $131 doesn't sound too bad as well for that job.

Transmission fluid looking a little dirty is a normal occurence. As long as It's not slipping/lost a gear there shouldn't be a problem. A transmission flush is never a bad thing though.

As for the hard start in the cold and gunk in the gas tank... Get your fuel filter replaced. Gas goes through this filter before it hits the engine and therefore keeps gas tank sludge out.

Hope This was a bit helpful

2009 F150 XLT 4X4 5.4 / 2" Autospring Lift / 275/65R20 BFG All Terrains (34.1)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 03:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to mitchbtu
Im in total agreement with Cooker although, the front crankshaft seal is alot more important than alot of people think. If you have a constant leak and you keep adding oil you are still slowly concentrating the metallic particles that would build up and possible cause the leak in the first place. Eventually you have alot larger a concentration of metallic gunk, yet the oil may look clean as you are always adding fresh oil...

99 Ford Ranger X-Cab 4x4. 3L V6. 5 Spd.. Mods -Michelin 31x10.5x15 XRadial Tires, Proformance Venom II Chip, Cold Air Intake, Window Visors, Euro Marker and Tail Lights, LED Front Corners, 05 Ranger Side Mirrors, 6000k HID Headlamps, Stock Cass/CD Stereo(taken from a Windstar), Interior Dome/Map(taken from a Taurus), White/Blue Glow Instruments, Stainless Steel Bezel...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 10:45 AM

on the tranny flush make sure if you do get it its one where they pump the fluid out of the torque converter so it gets changed aswell so many places offer flushes but not a full flush

not to give you worries but the trannys in the explorers do have issues with reliability i know ive got one lol no issues with it yet but with the higher k i was warned (from a buddy who was a mech @ a ford dealer)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode