Crossover box - how to secure? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Crossover box - how to secure?

Like the title says ..... I know you can bolt down a normal chest-style box to the bottom of the bed/box, but what about the crossover units?

If it makes a difference, i'm in the market and wondering how this would work with my flareside Ranger that has plastic "edging" along the top edge of the bed/box (not to be confused with a bed liner, which I do not have and do not want).

PATIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:46 AM

most boxes can be mounted to the box rail,but if you don't want to drill holes in your rails you can use a "j"hook drilled through the tool box and hooked under the rail.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:53 AM

On my friends 06 Ranger he used a J-hooks but he fed it down the stake hole in the top corner of the box so that the hook part came out of the hole on the side of the stake hole. Just be aware that the x-over prolly will rub against the front of the box so you may want to take steps to prevent that.

Whaddya mean I dont pay my bills?? Whydya think I'm broke!!

03 Lariat Crew 4x4 Line-x bedliner, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau.
RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so far guys!

So are there stake holes under the plastic bed rails on my flareside then or ..... ?

Sorry if it's a simple question, but i'm used to a pickup with a regular fleetside box without stuff on it, so i'm trying to figure out what the heck my options are before I possibly plunk down cash on a crossover box.

Thanks.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 08:59 AM

If you look at the top corners of the bed rails there may be a plastic cap that you need to pry out to get access to the stake hole.

RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

I'll have to try to get the plastic covers off soon to see wtf is going on underneath there. I might just get a deep crossover box instead of a chest afterall. Decisions decisions .....

And of course my ball joints have been making noise so I checked them yesterday .... expensive month this February will be.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150phule View Post
On my friends 06 Ranger he used a J-hooks but he fed it down the stake hole in the top corner of the box so that the hook part came out of the hole on the side of the stake hole. Just be aware that the x-over prolly will rub against the front of the box so you may want to take steps to prevent that.
phule - perhaps a couple of pieces of foam or left over weather stripping to insulate? I'd guess that would be a good idea with where it sits on the rails also.

(btw - if there was a new way ..... i'd be the first in line ..... but it better work this time! )
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 AM

That could work, just ask yourself if you plan to keep the truck or sell it in the future. Weather striping may not come off clean. You could prolly get the Line-x spray-in liner guys to just cover the top of the front of the truck bed where the x-over may rub. Shouldn't be more than $100. It cost me less than that to have them coat the sill plates of the doors on my truck.

RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

So far i've had a "poor resale rate". Part-outs or scraps.

Just found out I have a fiberglass box on my truck (truck box, have not purchased an aluminum box yet ..... but i'm getting confused now ). Magnet doesn't stick to the outsides. Does that change things for me now or ..... ?

I also pulled one of the plastic box rail covers off to look more. Underneath the plastic covers I found more torx-head bolts screwed into the box. Wtf, how many bolts are there back there!?!??!??! Saw a couple of small round holes along the top, maybe 1/2" diameter. Definitely not the larger square-shaped holes i've seen on trucks in the past.

Strange things on this truck man, I tell ya. Maybe it's just a flareside thing?!?!?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:17 AM

Could you take some pics of what you are talking about, like where the torx bolts are, cuz I'm confused as well. There shouldn't be any bolts of any kind where the stake post holes are.

RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode