Touchy subject - swapping plates? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Touchy subject - swapping plates?

I'm looking for a new truck. Long story short - my reg cab ain't cuttin' it no more.

Something that has been mentioned to me is when I find a vehicle to purchase I can simply swap my current Ranger plates onto the new vehicle and I have 6 days to get "my papers in order". (famous movie line - think Clint Eastwood)

I checked the back of my ownership, and just like everyone else's it states ..... "The new owner (buyer) must present this Application for Vehicle Transfer to notify the ministry of the change of ownership of the vehicle within 6 days of the date of purchase."

SO, the first thing i'm thinking is "why does the Ministry issue 10 day trip permits?". Is it another cash grab or am I reading too much into the above quote?

I'm looking at trucks that require a 1-2 hour drive (each way) and i'd hate to have to make 2 drives like that for a purchase, let alone 3. I can be a patient man, but that's just plain ol' retarded (sorry, but 12 hours of driving to/from for ANY vehicle isn't worth it to me). Some sellers are okay with selling with safety and e-test, but the used car guys charge a small fortune for that stuff.

Any thoughts on that quote please?

Thanks!

Andrew
'97 Ranger 3.0, 2wd, black, reg cab, flareside, Sky Jacker 2" spring lift, custom 1" rear lift blocks, no anti-sway bars
***Currently searching for an extended cab replacement***
Old enough to know better, young enough not to care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 02:17 PM

"Your vehicle permit must accurately describe your vehicle. If a change is made to your vehicle, you must report it at a Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office within six days."

quoted from the MTO website doesnt say much about mounting plates but i have herd and done it in the past...

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 02:46 PM

just steal someone plates from a parking lot from a vehicle that resembles the one your gonna be driving

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairTruck View Post
just steal someone plates from a parking lot from a vehicle that resembles the one your gonna be driving
Only a good idea if one is not looking to purchase a white 1994 Bronco. (..... and nice sig pic! )

LayinHP - good find, thanks! Gonna check there also.

Andrew
'97 Ranger 3.0, 2wd, black, reg cab, flareside, Sky Jacker 2" spring lift, custom 1" rear lift blocks, no anti-sway bars
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 06:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure its legal temporarily. IIRC, in BC I think its 10 days.

That being said, I still wouldn't want to be caught with the wrong plates on anything cause the cops can be real aholes about it and the cost of a 1 day permit is a whole lot cheaper than the cost of having the wrong plates on a vehicle! LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure its legal temporarily. IIRC, in BC I think its 10 days.

That being said, I still wouldn't want to be caught with the wrong plates on anything cause the cops can be real aholes about it and the cost of a 1 day permit is a whole lot cheaper than the cost of having the wrong plates on a vehicle! LR
And this is precisely why i'm questioning it, Matt. I'm kinda hoping someone(s) here know something I don't.

Another notable point is insurance - IF something were to happen i'm sure any insurance company would use it as a perfect opportunity to get out of a claim, no matter the circumstance. (speculation, but I feel i'm correct)

Andrew
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 06:45 PM

Garage
Here, in BC, you can also buy a point A to point B permit. Not sure about Ont. though. I bought a truck in the states and they put a 30 day tag on it for me. After I drove it home, I find out that tag/permit would have been useless if I'd been in an accident.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 06:49 PM

Exactly! For me it would depend on the desperation of the situation and my mood. If I bought a vehicle and I couldn't find any place to get a permit, sure. Having the wrong (but current) plate on a vehicle still has to be better than none, but if I had the time to do things properly I'd either swap the insurance first or pick up a permit on the way. I've learned the hard way many times its so much easier doing things right the first time!!

I don't know ON's laws too well, but I imagine that they're the same as BC's. Its been a long time since I've studied them, but IIRC I believe you can use the plates to transfer it if the intention is for the plate to be swapped to that vehicle permanently, otherwise we'd only have to own one plate and it'd be good for all of our vehicles right? I have to go do some digging though to find out the real law though. LR

Matt T.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:05 PM

Garage
Did find thison the ICBC site:

I've bought a vehicle. Can I transfer the licence plates from my old vehicle?

If your old vehicle has already been disposed of or sold, and the title transferred, you may drive a B.C.-registered vehicle with plates from your old vehicle for up to 10 days starting from the time you acquired the new vehicle.

Take it as it is...I'm sure laws change from province to province. I'd do my homework. I think it's $500-$600 fine for no insurance here (if you get caught).Good luck.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:25 PM

$575 plus 3 points in BC (I know from experience). Yeah, I remembered there being a catch to that rule. Thanks for doing some digging cause I'm being lazy right now. LR

Matt T.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode