Has anyone had a brake line blow? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Has anyone had a brake line blow?

I got my 06 F150 FX4 back from the dealer yesterday after having it in for the 100k service. I specifically asked them to check out the brakes. I drove the truck home, changed, then went out. 20 minutes down the highway, everyone slams on their brakes and when I tried to stop my flex line blew. It caused a 4 car collision. The rubber flex line shouldn't go on a 4 year old truck. They should last at least 10 years. Also, the dealer should have looked at the lines.

Has anyone heard of Ford having a problem with their flex lines? This seems like something that could be a recall issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 03:31 PM

Garage
I smell a lawsuit. I've had brake lines burst before, but always on older vehicles that usually have rust issues. I would never expect to have a line burst on a four year old truck. Not good. I'd be doing some research and looking for a good lawyer. I hope nobody was hurt. Good luck.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thankfully there were no injuries. I had left alot of room between myself and the car ahead, so I was able to slow down most of the way with the bit of brake pressure I had. Unfortunately, since everyone was stopping hard, they stopped close together, which caused a domino effect when I hit the first one.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Mar

I have that happen to me on an older truck a long, long time ago in the winter but I had a snow bank to stop me.

That being said...and I wish I had the old emergency hand brake in my new truck instead of the foot but you should have used your emergency.

Easy for me to say but I wasn't there in your shoes. Glad to hear no one was hurt.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

It happened too fast. The brakes still worked, just not as well as they should have. It wasn't until I was almost into the other car before I realized there was something wrong and I wasn't going to be able to make the stop
Old 06-03-2010, 06:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
Ouch! DEFINITELY go after the dealership for sure, thats complete BS if it just came out of the shop.

I've had a few go on older trucks (mostly POS bush truck 4x4s), knock-on-wood thankfully none on the road. The worst was one time I pulled over off the highway for a snooze because I was dead tired, 2 am, and I woke up thinking I fell asleep at the wheel and slammed on the brakes. It consequently blew both rear wheel cylinders apart... oops. I no longer sleep hunched across the steering wheel for no reason. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
Old 06-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to jdcrush Send a message via Yahoo to jdcrush
yah Ive blowm a few brake lines, never on anything that new. It may even be worth it to have an indedepedent mechanic look at it. If it just came out of the shop Id be going after the dumbasses on this.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
... and I woke up thinking I fell asleep at the wheel and slammed on the brakes. It consequently blew both rear wheel cylinders apart... oops. I no longer sleep hunched across the steering wheel for no reason. LR
Man, you must have been in a total panic! Sorry, but that's pretty funny. But I know what it's like to do stuff like that. Doesn't seem funny at the time, but later, you have to wonder how that happened.

The best is nodding-off in front of the TV at around 7 PM on a summer evening. When you next open your eyes and look at the clock, it's 9 AM!!! The sun is up!

So now you go racing around in a frenzy, thinking you're late for work, etc., until it slowly occurs to you that it's actually 9 PM, not AM. You've only been snoozing for 2 hours and it's still evening.

Not that I've ever done that, of course ...

But regarding the blown brake line -- aren't the diagonally opposite wheels isolated from each other in the hydraulic system with check valves in the master cylinder? So even if you lost pressure in RF/LR combination, you'd still have functioning brakes on the LF/RR wheels? You might have to pump the break pedal a few times to get enough pressure in the non-leaking side, but you'd still have *some* brakes, right?

Mind you, if it happened all of a sudden, and you had to stop fast, I don't think it would occur to me to start pumping the brakes, and I'd end up in the same situation.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4000 View Post
But regarding the blown brake line -- aren't the diagonally opposite wheels isolated from each other in the hydraulic system with check valves in the master cylinder? So even if you lost pressure in RF/LR combination, you'd still have functioning brakes on the LF/RR wheels? You might have to pump the break pedal a few times to get enough pressure in the non-leaking side, but you'd still have *some* brakes, right?

Mind you, if it happened all of a sudden, and you had to stop fast, I don't think it would occur to me to start pumping the brakes, and I'd end up in the same situation.
I had some braking. Enough to slow me down alot, but not enough to go from 80km to a dead stop as fast as the jetta ahead of me could. It was stopping, just not as fast as it normally would. I'm still not sure there's a check valve though. The pedal still goes to the floor when you hit it.

I saw the dealer today and gave him hell for both the work that was done vs the cost, and work that wasn't done, which should have. I then hit him with the blown brakes thing. The service manager said "I don't think we're liable if something goes wrong." What a joke!!! The first thing the body shop guy said when I told him what happened was "Man, they're going to be in alot of trouble."
Old 06-04-2010, 02:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
Play hard ball, get a lawyer if you can. They're obviously going to try their hardest to weasel their way out of a claim (especially with the damages and possible injuries involved). Be polite and professional but firm. If it starts to get ugly or you're not getting anywhere let someone who knows what they're doing do the fighting for you. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner