Keep your service records! - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Keep your service records!

Just a note to keep your service records and receipts if you're not having your services done by Ford.

I bought my 2007 F150 new and honestly never imagined I'd have to need warranty, I guess I'm naive to think a $40k+ vehicle should last 100k or more without failing. I've owned a few new vehicles over the years and have never had an issue that needed warranty coverage, so I never really thought to keep my receipts. I did get it serviced every 5k at various quick lube shops.

Now at 92k my engine started making some noise. I took it in to the dealer and the first thing he asked was if I had it serviced by Ford. I says nope, he says do you have all your receipts. I says nope, he says Ford has been denying warranty if you don't keep records. Now my truck is in the shop, they want me to authorize $3k worth of repairs to tear it down and see what's wrong. They suspect cam phaser/sensors, which I've read is not uncommon. It kind of pisses me off that an alleged common problem is being denied, but I'm kind of in a corner at this point. I've scraped up a half dozen receipts that show consistency for the last 25k, hopefully that will work in my favour.

It's a shame, and I guess my fault but I've got 2 Ford vehicles in my household, the wife's lease is up in 6 months and I'm due for something new in the next year or so. If they deny me on this, I can tell you how many Fords will be in our household in 6 months....0 and it will be that way for as long as I breathe air. I guess Ford has to make a decision to cover a common problem or lose 2 customers for life. Of course I explained this to my dealer but they say their hands are tied, it's up to Ford Canada warranty dept.

So.....keep your records. It could save you a huge hassle down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 01:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
I'm like you..except i do all my own oil changes..etc. I never think to keep a recipt..Just because i got a piece of paper that says i bought some oil and a filter, don't mean i actually did the service...Weird the way that works.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

yeah but it's better to have something than nothing at all.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:57 AM

wonder how this would work,
i bought like 10 4l jugs of oil and 10 filters at the same time when they were on sale.
Would this count as receipts for 10 oil changes or just 1??

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairTruck View Post
wonder how this would work,
i bought like 10 4l jugs of oil and 10 filters at the same time when they were on sale.
Would this count as receipts for 10 oil changes or just 1??
I think you'd have a tough time based on my experience so far. I would seem that I have to prove that I did it more than they have to prove that I didn't.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Just a note to keep your service records and receipts if you're not having your services done by Ford.

I bought my 2007 F150 new and honestly never imagined I'd have to need warranty, I guess I'm naive to think a $40k+ vehicle should last 100k or more without failing. I've owned a few new vehicles over the years and have never had an issue that needed warranty coverage, so I never really thought to keep my receipts. I did get it serviced every 5k at various quick lube shops.

Now at 92k my engine started making some noise. I took it in to the dealer and the first thing he asked was if I had it serviced by Ford. I says nope, he says do you have all your receipts. I says nope, he says Ford has been denying warranty if you don't keep records. Now my truck is in the shop, they want me to authorize $3k worth of repairs to tear it down and see what's wrong. They suspect cam phaser/sensors, which I've read is not uncommon. It kind of pisses me off that an alleged common problem is being denied, but I'm kind of in a corner at this point. I've scraped up a half dozen receipts that show consistency for the last 25k, hopefully that will work in my favour.

It's a shame, and I guess my fault but I've got 2 Ford vehicles in my household, the wife's lease is up in 6 months and I'm due for something new in the next year or so. If they deny me on this, I can tell you how many Fords will be in our household in 6 months....0 and it will be that way for as long as I breathe air. I guess Ford has to make a decision to cover a common problem or lose 2 customers for life. Of course I explained this to my dealer but they say their hands are tied, it's up to Ford Canada warranty dept.

So.....keep your records. It could save you a huge hassle down the road.
The shop you got the work done at should have records. It may cost a couple dollars to get copies but will likely be cheaper than $3k !
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:31 PM

I'm purely speculating, but I believe that this issue would be common to all manufacturers, not just Ford.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 PM

when i was in high school i had a similar but way worse problem.
Truck engine seized, took it to ford they said no oil changes were done cause i didnt keep my receipts so no warranty. they put a new engine in at my dime 4000$
Next day brand new engine was seized again.
They dug further into the truck to find out someone put suger in my gas tank, they didnt find it first time so it was still in tank for new engine.
another 4000$ of my money to get another engine.

Insurance ended up reimbursing all my money for vandalism

Thats how i got the name blairtruck, it was in 99 when the blair witch movie came out and buddys called me blair truck project casue truck was in the shop for 6 months while i got things fixed

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

turns out after all that fuss it was an exhaust leak. Dealer replaced the right side exhaust manifold under warranty.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 01:26 AM

I guess they couldn't figure out a way to blame a failed exhaust manifold on you "not" changing the oil...

Whaddya mean I dont pay my bills?? Whydya think I'm broke!!

03 Lariat Crew 4x4 Line-x bedliner, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau.
RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode