5.4 (.20 over) BUILD PART 2 - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 331 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
MJG

5.4 (.20 over) BUILD PART 2

As some of you may or may not know, I had a new built longblock which suffered a top-end failure with less than 400 kms in the Fall.

Long story short, manufacturer blames installer, installer blames manufacturer. Myself, stuck in the middle, foots the bill for head repair and new cams. I hashed out a deal with the previous installer which we came to an agreement as to how we will proceed in the future - I am pleased to say we worked something out like gentlemen.

While checking the short for debris from the top end failure, Spence @ Rev'n High noted the piston to wall clearances in FRPP's built shortblock were out of whack. I then in turn confirmed this with MAHLE (piston manufacturer) and contacted FRPP. Another long story short, all shipping of the short was paid for by FRPP and inspection, they confirmed our findings and offered a new short...NO THANKS.

We hashed out another deal, I was returned the block, crank, connecting rods and caps. All this along with a certified cheque (which PAID the remaining owing balance I had on the truck, about 8 months, thanks Ford!).

Now fast forward to today, I was in the area of the shop and popped in on my lunch.
This is the beginning of something SWEET.....build'r and let'r EAT!

- Specs -
5.4 Cast iron block
Forged Crank
Manley H Beam rods w/ARP2000 rod bolts
Diamond .20 pistons - coated - cut - upgraded wrist pins - total steel stainless rings
ARP2000 main studs
ARP2000 headstuds
OEM 4 layer gaskets throughout
TFS heads w/ upgraded springs
TFS stg 2 .580 lift cams

Throw on everything else I had from this past season - full exhaust - Magnum Powers blower - 10# lower pulley - 2# upper pulley - Upgraded cooling system - 60# injectors - Dual 255 pumps - 2500 torque converter - Punisher Valve Body (shift kit) - 12" open intake system - Oil seperator - Granatelli 2400 MAF - OEM coil packs - TR6 plugs - MAgnum Powers idler bracket (3-90mm idlers) - Double keyed Harmonic Balancer - GT500 High Output oil pump - the list goes on.....

It's all about the boost!

Last edited by MJG; 02-08-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 331 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 03:43 PM

...and the numbers are/or will be???

Sounds like it's going to be one mean machine...excellent!!!

post #3 of 331 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
MJG

In all honesty, the Magnum Powers blower I have on this motor is only a 1.8L, same as the stock Eaton. It is essentially a redesigned Eaton case with the snout shortened and the case elongated. The intake isn't directly on top of the rotors, somewhat behind, acting more like a rear entry blower. I installed Cobra rotors in the case as they have the better form fitting coating. With this blower/pulley set-up, I will be happy with [email protected] the tire.

The point of all this being is that I am able to throw a Whip, or who knows, twins at it down the road and let'r eat.

post #4 of 331 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
MJG

My compression will be up from 8.4:1 to 9.2:1 with this set-up as well along with the new TFS heads which outflow any ported head.

We will see what happens come summer dyno/tune time.

post #5 of 331 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Master Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to v8ranger
Man keep us posted on the bad now good luck. Dyno numbers will be nice to see
post #6 of 331 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 PM

Not so lucky,but yet got so lucky!Glad to see things turned around for you!
Should be killer!

2008 Oxford White F150 FX2 SPORT Super Crew,5.4L.
2003 Satin Silver Clearcoat Mustang GT,4.6L 2V,5 speed.
stripped,slammed,& cammed!

aka 1LOW03GT
post #7 of 331 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
K so I'm just wondering are you building this to be just a d/d or it this to be more of a race truck only, sorry if this just sound stupid to you

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #8 of 331 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Glad it worked out for ya!

Looks like your building a great bullet proof block!
post #9 of 331 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
MJG

The Lightning always has been and always will be just a toy. Now, thanks to Ford, I have no payments on it, it is ALL mine.

I am fortunate enough to have a company daily driver with gas card and the girlfriend has her own 4 cyl DD.

The Lightning will be a weekend warrior/nice evening cruiser. I picked up a set of spare wheels (22s) for show and cruise purposes. I have my fancy 18s with drag radials if I wanna get a little happy on the street(yes,this is illegal and do not condone it). I also have a set of 16" Baja rims for track use with MT E/T streets.

All in all, a sweet ass ride for when I feel like pulling it out and at the same time can lay it down at the track when someone has the cohones to call me out.

Last edited by MJG; 02-08-2011 at 11:40 PM.
post #10 of 331 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
MJG

IF I can get a handle on the truck and figure out the sweet spot for launching and can hook. The truck should be capable of low 11s consistently, possibly better if the stars align.
The record for this size blower (small) is 10.7ish without spray, low 10s with spray.
I will be more than happy to pull off some mid to high 11s the coming year, but in all reality, with the little seat time I have and having to get to know the truck all over again, I'd be fine with 12s and work my way from there.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode