Close Call - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Close Call

On the way home tonite I missed a moose by 2 feet as I was travelling East on Highway 16. Never thought I could do a lane change at 115 kph but I did. And in my Excursion no less. Believe me it was pucker time. It happened so fast all I could do was react. Didn't even have time to think about it until afterward. I was in the right lane and it was crossing from the left. As it entered my lane I swerved into the left lane. F%$% it was close. Luckily Marg was asleep and didn't wake up until I made the sudden lane change.It wasn't a large one but if I had struck it, it would have come through the windshield.It happened about 30k East of Edmonton. Somebody was watching over us tonite.

2007 F350 Shortbox Lariat 6.0 Diesel, Husky Floorliners, 08 Bed Extender, EGR Delete(Unplugged EGR Valve), Retrax rolltop cover. 2011 Tailgate with step and camera, Airaid Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Upfitter switches. Sinister Diesel Coolant Bypass Filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 05:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
glad to hear to were lucky!!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 06:19 AM

Garage
Good job on the reflexes and nice heads up driving....moose are one scary thing to see anywhere near a highway.

Luckily, they're not so much a threat here in Southwestern Ontario, but I've encountered them driving up north, and through New Brunswick.

There was an episode of "Mythbusters" where they did a mock up of a moose and ran into it with a car, with the expected results......wasn't pretty.

Consider this though...I always figured if fate was going to put a moose or deer in your path, at least hitting one with a truck, the front end of the truck would be high enough to take the brunt of the impact from the body.

Passenger cars, on the other hand, would be low enough to essentially knock the legs out from underneath it and drop it right in your lap.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Glad to hear that your reflexes aren't as slow as we feared. Bet your heart rate was up a bit. Thank goodness you're both okay.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

I guess all those years of driving police vehicles paid off.

2007 F350 Shortbox Lariat 6.0 Diesel, Husky Floorliners, 08 Bed Extender, EGR Delete(Unplugged EGR Valve), Retrax rolltop cover. 2011 Tailgate with step and camera, Airaid Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Upfitter switches. Sinister Diesel Coolant Bypass Filter.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:48 PM

there are moose in alberta ? lol It came up on topic once when I was out there and I was promtly told there werent any moose it was all Caribou and Elk..... ?? this was up in Fort Mccrack I mean McMurray lol

glad everyones ok

I know they make a hell of a mess with bigrigs

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

That is funny. I'm a hunter and up until my wife became ill I was successful every year when out hunting. I don't get out much anymore. And I've been in a moose collision before and it ain't no fun.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
Glad to hear you and the wife came out of this with no harm, and yes a moose can make a hell of a mess of any car/truck transport, I know of a truck driver who hit a 2 ton bull moose in northern ontario and he sat in his rig for a week waiting for a tow.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT4MT View Post
Consider this though...I always figured if fate was going to put a moose or deer in your path, at least hitting one with a truck, the front end of the truck would be high enough to take the brunt of the impact from the body.
Maybe, but I've seen one ton trucks with reinforced bumpers, and the engine block pushed back to the firewall, pretty much written off, sitting in the ditch on the Alaska Highway -- with a moose carcass lying about 50 yds. ahead.

No matter how you slice it, hitting a moose is basically like having a head-on collision with a small car. The faster you're going when you hit, the worse it is. And if you're not wearing a seatbelt, even in a large truck, you could still be killed.

Glad the moose got missed this time, and nobody got hurt. Just goes to show you can't let your guard down for one second in moose/deer country.

Interesting the near miss was in the evening. I've always found early morning and and early evening the worst for animal movement near roads. I find them a little easier to spot when it's properly dark out. In twighlight, there's not much contrast. I guess that's why they like to travel then.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Actually it was 11:00pm. I had my lights in low beam cause there was traffic so it couldn't happen at a worse time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode