Diesel Horror Story - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Diesel Horror Story

I had an 08 F350 6.4 Diesel which I bought new. I had installed a Pro Dry air filter from AFE in it. I sold the truck with 26 thousand kilometers on it. The new owner who I happen to be talking to today advised me that he drove the truck for another 40,000 kilometers and the engine blew. He took it to Ford and they said the engine was dusted and it was caused by the aftermarket filter. He called AFE and they claimed he didn't clean the filter which he told me he had done twice. AFE said it's not their fault and Ford is denying warranty so he had to pay over $12000 to have a new engine put in the truck. He removed the Retrax Roll Top Cover(which he's selling to me) He promptly traded the truck on a Chevy Diesel. He is extremely pissed at AFE. He said the filter warning device hadn't even moved.

That was my first Dry filter. I've had two previous oil based systems from AFE and encountered no problems. As a matter of fact they worked great. My last truck had a high performance filter system from Air Raid as well. I just sold it with 223 K on it. Now I just bought a completely stock low mileage 07 F350 Diesel and am thinking twice about putting in an aftermarket filter system. I'm gonna put a 4 inch exhaust on it. But am really nervous now about the aftermarket filters. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

2007 F350 Shortbox Lariat 6.0 Diesel, Husky Floorliners, 08 Bed Extender, EGR Delete(Unplugged EGR Valve), Retrax rolltop cover. 2011 Tailgate with step and camera, Airaid Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Upfitter switches. Sinister Diesel Coolant Bypass Filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 AM

Aftermarket filters are a waste.... unless your planning for over 550hp... they filter better then any aftermarket out there, there comercial grade made by donaldson you cant get much better. It filters out alot smaller particals.

to bad about the motor in the other truck cant really blame ford for it though AFE should step up....

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:05 PM

The factory filter is made by Donaldson and is a great filter. Changing it just for the sake of change makes no sense and most of the claims from the aftermarket are pure hype with no credible facts to back them up. Eben if they are better, Ford won't support it.

I would love to replace the exhaust on my truck but I won't touch it until the warranty is over. The 2 EGR coolers, 2 EGR values a set of Head gaskets, a MAP sensor, MAF sensor and everything else I have forgotten would likely have been on my tab if I had started throwing aftermarket parts at it.

I won't replace so much as a bolt on my engine that isn't from Ford due to the engine being under warranty until April 2012. I am not willing to make it easy for them to bail on me.

Last edited by Phil G.; 09-15-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: sp

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 08:42 PM

I wouldn't do any engine mods while the truck is under warranty. Ford ( and most manufacturers) are looking for any excuse to walk away from their obligations and the aftermarket companies aren't going to step up.

Satisfaction guaranteed or you're out of luck, sorry.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 03:13 AM
zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayinHp View Post
Aftermarket filters are a waste.... unless your planning for over 550hp... they filter better then any aftermarket out there, there comercial grade made by donaldson you cant get much better. It filters out alot smaller particals.

to bad about the motor in the other truck cant really blame ford for it though AFE should step up....
Yep those aftermarket filters are diesel engine killers. I was offered a K&N for mine. I turned him down.

Chris

03 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 S/B Lariat,Procomp 2" leveling kit, zoodad mod, straight pipe
75 F150, 79 Bronco
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket filters do flow much more air. That's a proven fact. Been tested by numerous people and shown on a dyno thte difference. I've never had a problem with oiled filters. Your right a Donaldson filter does do a much better job of filtering dirt however it is a restrictive air filter compared to Aftermarket. My first diesel was an 02 with a 7.3. I put in a K&N filter and picked up 2 mpg. On a gas engine you probably won't see much of an improvement but because diesels flow such huge amounts of air you will see a difference. And I bet 99% of the people on this site probably use aftermarket filters. And unfortunately every maker claims they have the best and so on. But thanks for the imput. I'm really keeping an open mind on this issue after talking to my friend.

On exhausts, I will be putting on a 4 inch. Diesels are not affected by exhaust and helps keep the EGT down. 07 and older Ford powerstrokes. I'm referring to pre DPF exhaust systems.

2007 F350 Shortbox Lariat 6.0 Diesel, Husky Floorliners, 08 Bed Extender, EGR Delete(Unplugged EGR Valve), Retrax rolltop cover. 2011 Tailgate with step and camera, Airaid Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Upfitter switches. Sinister Diesel Coolant Bypass Filter.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:15 PM
zip

Use the stock filter cause I like my turbo. Exhaust is nothing more than pipe from front to rear.

Chris

03 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 S/B Lariat,Procomp 2" leveling kit, zoodad mod, straight pipe
75 F150, 79 Bronco
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=HTRDDSL;104649]Aftermarket filters do flow much more air. That's a proven fact. Been tested by numerous people and shown on a dyno thte difference.

The problem is thats like saying cars really do get 40mpg. But which ones? That's the hard part. And which ones do it at the expense of allowing larger particles of dirt through them (which tends to grenade deisel engines). I understand more air in, more air out (exhaust upgrade) can equal better performance but the risk vs. benefit equasion is a tricky one.
I've never had a problem with oiled filters. Your right a Donaldson filter does do a much better job of filtering dirt however it is a restrictive air filter compared to Aftermarket.

Again with dirt being such an engine killer, are you willing to gamble your 10K+ engine? It does come down to how you use the truck as well. I'm a high miler and need engine life, if it was a toy for hot rodding around town, I might look at it differently, so I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, just pointing out the risk vs. benefits of it. Everyone can make their own decision if they have all of the facts.

My first diesel was an 02 with a 7.3. I put in a K&N filter and picked up 2 mpg. On a gas engine you probably won't see much of an improvement but because diesels flow such huge amounts of air you will see a difference. And I bet 99% of the people on this site probably use aftermarket filters.

Thats a pretty high number, but hey, I have no idea what the % might be, maybe your right?

And unfortunately every maker claims they have the best and so on. But thanks for the imput. I'm really keeping an open mind on this issue after talking to my friend.

Thats the right answer IMO, best of luck with it what ever way you decide to go!

On exhausts, I will be putting on a 4 inch. Diesels are not affected by exhaust and helps keep the EGT down. 07 and older Ford powerstrokes. I'm referring to pre DPF exhaust systems.

I totally agree with you on the larger exhaust = lower EGT's. I will likely do something with mine once the warranty is up (Even if the 6.0 turns into a 5.9...[/QUOTE]

see above
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Strangely enough I've heard stories in the past of people dusting engines but never really encountered one until now. So in the past I never really gave it much thought. Now it strikes home cause I know the guy. You make some good points. Maybe a better intercooler that flows more air as well might be the better route. Upgrade everything else and leave the air filter stock. Certainly something I'm gonna have to consider.

And whats really funny is that the dealer sells and promotes aftermarket filter systems.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 08:43 PM

if its a non Ford dealer I could see them promoting them but I cant see a Ford dealer doing it..... unless there trying to get work.

check out posts on dieselstop site lots of stories on filters and the good and bad things to do for the 6.0ls and even the 6.4's and other engines.

I noticed a difference on my 5.4 gasser with an aem cold air intake throttle responce but not much mpg if any.

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode