Westbound ? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Westbound ?

So I know there isnt to many alberta guys that have been posting but ive got some questions that you guys might know somthing about....

I'm currently seriously considering temporarily moveing out to alberta with a possibility of sask. I've worked and stayed (camp) in northern alberta the Fort Mcmurray area, before I had my vehical from ontario with me still plated as from ontario and still had an ontario mailing adress.

Questions are on vehical licenceing and emissions tests if any ? if I bring my truck from ontario whats the out of province saftey like ? Insurance for vehicals hows it work out there ? Healthcare ? I hold an AZ licence here which would be a class 1 I guess out there im assuming its transferable...
I dont plan to sell my home here in ontario but leave it empty with my family able to stop in and look after it. I plan to rent a place while out there.

I didnt have these issues before as I traveled home on a shedual this time around its more then likely more of a perm stay at least the plan is 5-10yrs.

Its a big dicision im close to family here which makes it hard.

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Hey Todd, try alberta.ca and should answer most of your questions. No provincial insurance here for vehicles. When I moved out here from Nova Scotia (before you were born) I had no trouble just transferring to Alberta licence. As far as inspection goes I don't know. Has to be a licenced facility but it probably also depends on the guy as to how tough. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 PM

Your vehicles will have to go through an "Out of Province" inspection. It will run you about $300. They do a full visual inspection above and below and they run the serial number for accident repairs. If the front and rear bumpers are skin covers, they will remove them and verify that a comsetic repair hasn't been done and is hiding a collapsed or crushed safety impact bumper under neither.

There is no emission testing but if you have removed the obvious cats, they may flag that.

Alberta Health Care is covered by the Province at this point so that saves you $70/month. Alberta Blue Cross is available as a supliment if you don't get group benefits.
Your drivers license is a 5 year term here costing I believe it is $70 and all valid classes transfer over province to province. All vehicle insurance in AB is private insurance, Saskatchewan is Gov.

We also offer you to take the 3rd turnstyle on the way it, it is a direct busride back home to Ontario Seriously though, Alberta has been the target of a mobile job market driven immigration wave over the last 5 years. If you are coming this way, make it your home, you won't be sorry you did.

ManFord

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 PM

You need an out-of-province safety inspection to register your vehicle here. It cost me ~$140 a few years ago, I think, plus a new windshield. Most shops and mechanics can do this.

They don't have emissions testing here, so you don't need to worry about that scam for the time being.

Like Mr. M says, insurance here is all private. I've heard premiums can be insane for out of province drivers younger than 25 or with bad records. My premium went down slightly from BC. Make sure you get a claims history from your current insurance company and possibly an ON driver's abstract.

You don't pay health insurance premiums here. I think you need to have an address here for 3 mos. before you register here, so you need to keep your ON insurance valid for that time. You may want to check on that. Can't remember if it's 3 mos. exactly, or not.

In all, you have about 3 months after you get here to worry about that stuff. I think I left my truck under my BC registration, license and insurance for around 6 months before I got around to it.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info !

Its not 100% im headed that way but its a serious option im thinking of doing, it would probly be later in the year.

Id also be maybe looking at parking the superduty for something else to head out there.

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo View Post
Hey Todd, try alberta.ca and should answer most of your questions. No provincial insurance here for vehicles. When I moved out here from Nova Scotia (before you were born) I had no trouble just transferring to Alberta licence. As far as inspection goes I don't know. Has to be a licenced facility but it probably also depends on the guy as to how tough. Maybe someone else can chime in here.
I found a picture of Glen's car before the Alberta inspection.

No need to thank me, Glen. It's the least I can do. Lord knowns, I like to do the least.

Gerry

Wright it in script, Wrap it in blue, and Drop it in the winners circle!

Classic Ford Truck Club ; Member Rep
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 AM

That's the classic I bought after I got out here. You'll notice there is no rust.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo View Post
That's the classic I bought after I got out here. You'll notice there is no rust.
getting stacks installed next week to match the rest of the homos out here

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 PM

In Dec 2012, the out of province inspection on my Ranger cost me about $175-$180 or so. A local Ford dealer wanted $250 or so.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2821.htm

Alberta is private for insurers...was noticeably cheaper than ICBC in BC. Skip the coverage on windshields...not worth it IMO. Bring your drivers abstract.

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard sprayed on bed liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:36 AM

this is an interesting read.

we have discussed moving to AB/SK as an alternative to being here.

If we didn't have kids we would probably make the move, as the wife could be working also. we both have Aunt/Uncles/cousins in Edmonton and Calgary.

too big of a change for us now, but it is still tempting............................

keep the info coming , always good to make an educated decision.

[SIGPIC]
summer: RIP 72 Bronc, 68 Merc,
Daily:94 Exp xlt , Barney the PSD CW
projects: all on hold for now

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode