Truck Storage Question - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Truck Storage Question

When you put your truck away for the winter do you take your summer
tires off and replace them with a set of old ones while it is parked ?

I'm wondering if tires get flat spots if they are sitting in one spot over long periods of time ?

Thanks for Your Input
Larry.

Load It Like A Railcar........................... Drive It Like A Stockcar..........................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 09:30 PM

Garage
I park my dually every winter and don't change tires. I do have them pumped up to 80psi though. Surely that helps with flat spots, not that I've had any. I don't think flats spots are an issue with today's tires, IMO. Next spring I will be replacing the original rubber and will fill them with nitrogen to keep them from naturally leaking down. Not sure if the nitrogen fill is proven yet, or if it's a $5 "gimmick".

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 PM

Larry, there are so many different opinions on storing a vehicle for any length of time you will get cross eyed reading all. I think like Andy said maybe pump the tires up a bit or maybe put on jack stands but other than that fresh oil change would be a good idea also.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
I have never stored a car/truck for the winter, but if your worried about flat spots toss your truck on jack stands and if your worried about it tipping over than I'd just check with a good tire shop

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:51 PM

I pump up the tires to 50lbs, change the oil, run seafoam through the fuel system, and clean the trucks before I put the covers on. then I spend the next six months wishing for spring. Oh, I also have them Rust Checked, a week before putting them away. I hope that helps out Larry.

Gerry

Wright it in script, Wrap it in blue, and Drop it in the winners circle!

Classic Ford Truck Club ; Member Rep
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Skool View Post
I pump up the tires to 50lbs, change the oil, run seafoam through the fuel system, and clean the trucks before I put the covers on. then I spend the next six months wishing for spring. Oh, I also have them Rust Checked, a week before putting them away. I hope that helps out Larry.

Gerry
Sorry Larry, never thought of rust check. My 04 looks like a 2012 on the under side from down there.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordsforever6.0 View Post
Next spring I will be replacing the original rubber and will fill them with nitrogen to keep them from naturally leaking down. Not sure if the nitrogen fill is proven yet, or if it's a $5 "gimmick".
Um, normal air (at least on this planet) is 78% nitrogen.

This is homeopathic auto mechanics at it's best. But then, we live in a world where people actually believe "organic" food is magically healthier than normal food. Maybe I'm getting old, but I never imagined I'd live to see the day when anyone would actually pay good money for bottled water, when you can get it by the gallon from your tap.

BTW, I've never heard of tires getting a permanent flat spot if the rubber is still good. I used to occasionally get them at -40 degrees from parking overnight, but they always went away after a few minutes of driving. If a tire is so inflexible that it retains a flat spot, then there's something wrong with it to begin with. I used to store my motorcycle over the winter, and a mechanic recommened very slightly lifting the front (but not off the ground), to slightly decompress the fork springs. Tires never got a flat spot, and that's probably more weight concentrated per square inch than a car or truck on the tire.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guy's ...

Load It Like A Railcar........................... Drive It Like A Stockcar..........................
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 05:26 AM

Garage
I think b4000 summed it up. If it's any help Larry, I used to park my Mustang in the garage for the winter, and all I did was top off the tank, throw in some fuel stabilizer, put on the cover, and join Gerry in waiting for spring. Never had any issues with the tires flat spotting, I think that might be a carry over from the old bias ply tire days.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 05:55 AM

I would park it and not worry about them... they can develope a flat spot but after the first drive it would settle back to being round.

We have had tractor trailers sit before and you get the little hops on take off but by operating speed the tires are warmed up and no more issues.

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode