New guy in town - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

New guy in town

Hi folks
I'm new to Ford Tough.ca put some info in the introduction forum. Have had a love affair with vehicles all my life placed a couple pics in introduction. My first build was in 1963 I 17 years old a 34 ford. I am looking for information and advise as I am looking at a few Ford svt lightning P/U's to purchase one in April/May. I am beggining to get a little nervous about maintenance especially with the spark plug blow out problems. I chatted with a guy the other day who spent $700 dollars to change plugs. Two plugs were siezed then broke in the aluminum heads been there 10 years 150 Kms on them. Although I like doing things myself this makes me bit scard. It took me 6 years to build a 1969 Chevelle [ pic in introduction ] so it's not that I don't mind taking on something. Any lightning owners or 5.4 triton motor guys in here that I could chat with. Thank you so much tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 PM

Welcome to fordtough.ca

Load It Like A Railcar........................... Drive It Like A Stockcar..........................
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 02:04 PM

Welcome Aboard!
Good luck with your Lightening search. If you get a good one, there hard to beat. I am a big fan of the 97 to 03 F150's. I have 3 + 1-08. Most of my trucks (except the 97) came from up your way, as I am from Bracebridge. We moved here to Guelph 2 years ago. If you check with Bricie, at Cavalcade Ford in Bracebridge, She could help you with locating some. She seems to be connected with whats around.

Gerry

Wright it in script, Wrap it in blue, and Drop it in the winners circle!

Classic Ford Truck Club ; Member Rep

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 02:09 PM

Welcome , and enjoy your stay. keep your sense of humour handy.

lots of 5.4 experience from the guys here.

only thing I know about the modular V8s is I don't want one because they are junk

and now I will be expecting some abuse..........................

I like the 1st generation lightning personally, but I'm outnumbered.

[SIGPIC]
summer: RIP 72 Bronc, 68 Merc,
Daily:94 Exp xlt , Barney the PSD CW
projects: all on hold for now
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 03:12 PM

I don't know so much about the Lightning but I have an 01 5.4L. The older 2 Valve versions of that engine (pre 2004) didn't use the 2 piece spark plug so at least that significantly reduces the chance of plugs breaking.

Before you buy something, have a mechanic that you trust check it out and make sure they evaluate everything that you're concerned about. Definitely see if the plugs easily come out and you'll know that regular maintenance has been done.

The more you know about what to look for when shopping, the better off you'll be. Don't be scared by these trucks, I bought one that's soon to be 12 years old and and it runs like a top. I bought it off a used car lot with no maintenance history but I knew what to look for and just by looking around the pick up, I found that whomever owned it before me took really good care of it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Hey Pilot
Thanks for the thread yup been around cars/trucks all my life will be all over anything before buying. I will have my friend Gord with me full blown mechanic retired MTO inspector. Just want to get a handle on the maintenance on this little hot rod truck. Appreciate the contacts here. thank you tim
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 10:50 PM

Good stuff, it looks like you're heading in the right direction. I believe a wise man by the name of G.I. Joe said "knowledge is half the battle."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Yup G.I. Joe is right as long as you know the battle you're in. I hate what is going on in the world today school shootings to the mess in the middle East,thieves,scammers,fraud, being misled by folks running our country. This trip Harper took to India it cost us $36,000 dollars an hour for him to take vehicles from here to ride around in. He was offered security but no had to take his own . That is more than I get for a whole year on a pension. I want to find the right lightning because life is like a coin. You can choose to spend it any way you wish,but you can only spend it once. I really appreciate everyone in here tim
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
So are you looking to buy from a dealer or private ?? I knew of 2 svt trucks for sale 1 is black and the 2nd is sonic blue, but not sure if there still for sale or have been sold. Both trucks are down this way ( london ) so be a bit of a drive for you

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to 98nascartruck
HI and to Fordtough.ca

Gordon
Proud owner of 1998 NASCAR special edition F-150
(Celebrates 50 yrs of NASCAR and the F series truck)

My Pictures

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode