Life is about to take a big spin................ - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Life is about to take a big spin................

Well on new years my dad brought up the idea of us buying the farm.
after 10 years of owning our own home, the last year I've come to grips with paying of my mortgage and working on our house to retire in (eventually) .

basically owning up to not being able to afford to buy the farm.

at the same time my dad was discussing with me my thoughts of my brother buying the company I work for.......................

WTF?

what a bombshell to start the new year with!

I think I want off of this ride.

my brother sent me an email tonite asking if I could stop in on friday for a talk as he is working from home.

I don't want to work for my brother , he is an asshole! he makes too much money, complains about his income tax and doesn't spend any of his money so i would imagine he would nickle and dime an established business to death.

I want to move to SK to get away from it all. we were even discussing it before the end of the year and then all this crap came up.

sorry for unloading but tonite the stress is getting me, lucky my wife knows where I stand and seems to back me up always

financially we would be much better off moving away and letting the farm sell on the open market, but it is probably the only chance we will get to own a farm here in Ontario, even at "family" price. have to consider our kids too and what is better for them.

family politics suck

[SIGPIC]
summer: RIP 72 Bronc, 68 Merc,
Daily:94 Exp xlt , Barney the PSD CW
projects: all on hold for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 05:06 AM

Garage
No doubt there, families can suck the life out of you, sorry to hear the news James.

Unlike a lot of forums, you've had the opportunity to meet quite a few of us face to face at the gTg's, so it's not like you're talking to strangers on the internet.

Don't ever worry about unburdening yourself, or venting off pressure, I'm willing to bet that you'll always find someone here who will listen.

Makes things easier when you have your wife in your corner supporting you, good deal.

My two cents? Do what's best for you and look out for your own family, screw the rest of them , they can look after themselves, and most often do, 'cause those types are good like that.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 AM

I can feel your pain James.
I worked for my Father for years. I was always told that the business would be left to me, and my brother. Just like you, my brother is a useless twat. In 1985 my Dad came to me and said that he wanted to retire,and I could bye the Company from him and my mother.
OK, thats only fair, as they had poured money into it. We sat and disgust price. They offered it too me for $500,000. More than fair. I went to work on financing, putting my house, trucks, cars, and kids on the line. I had financing within a week, and informed my parents that I was good to go. They contact their lawyer to draw up a contract of sale. That's where things started too fuck-up. In the contract, it stated that they were only selling me 60%, and giving my brother 40%. My brother, who would seal from the petty cash, would sit at his desk and play computer games while everyone else would be going nuts busy, come into work whenever he felt like it. and cause me nothing but grief with the customers.

I bought the Company, but without my brother. It caused a RIF with my parents that lasted for 10 years. To this day, my brother and I don't talk. I'm fine with that.

Sometimes family can be a royal pain in the ass.
If you need to talk, we can get together for a coffee. I've been there. You've got too watch out for that green grass over the fence.

Gerry

Wright it in script, Wrap it in blue, and Drop it in the winners circle!

Classic Ford Truck Club ; Member Rep

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode