need help for my son to fix my 97 F150 - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
JIG
Apprentice

need help for my son to fix my 97 F150

anyone willing or able to help me out live 1 hr. from Barrie about 1 1/2 from Peterborough west of Orillia about 30 min. Lots of work to be done but need to fix exhaust manifolds on 4.6 first to pass emissions. son is having problem with exhaust manifold on passenger side 4 bolts have been removed but he can not get at the remainder lower bolts. tried to remove bolts on engine mounts but they will only come so far, he figures he needs cutting torch which we do not have. I retired but would pay for the help but would need to know what it would cost limited funds. help on weekend when Ryan has time available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 AM

Have you tried using some 'PB Blaster' on them?
Do you own a heat gun?
A 50/50% mix of automatic tranny oil & acetone will help to get things moving as well.

If this is not the problem, and clearance is, try lifting the motor up a tad, first by jacking up the right side of the truck in your garage, then tie a strong rope or chain to one of the motors lifting points, and the other end to something solid over head. Then lower the truck down with the jack slowly, only if the bolts are free. Don't forget to use an 'A' stand for support before going underneath there!

Press on regardless!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
JIG
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy D. View Post
Have you tried using some 'PB Blaster' on them?
Do you own a heat gun?
A 50/50% mix of automatic tranny oil & acetone will help to get things moving as well.

If this is not the problem, and clearance is, try lifting the motor up a tad, first by jacking up the right side of the truck in your garage, then tie a strong rope or chain to one of the motors lifting points, and the other end to something solid over head. Then lower the truck down with the jack slowly, only if the bolts are free. Don't forget to use an 'A' stand for support before going underneath there!
Thanks Big we have no garage but he is eventually getting them all out. Two or three may have to be drilled out.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
JIG
Apprentice

Three of the 8 studs were broken. 2 were exposed and 1 was broken about 1/8" inside the head. Something must have been going right all 3 came out buy welding nut to broken stud with out damage to the threads. UPS messed us up should have had my right side manifold on Friday but part was not picked up at depot. Should have monday. next problem is trying to install Cads for single exhaust and parts from Cad back funds are getting short and it takes a long time being retired to reduce these bills. I have been trying to find information on exhaust brackets for the entire system but have had no luck as of yet. Right now it looks like the left and right side Cads on my truck are rigid were they connect to transmission support which I do not think it should be with the engine movement I believe there should be some movement there.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
JIG
Apprentice

thread can be closed thank you for the help!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode