Weather Advisory for Ontario.... - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Weather Advisory for Ontario....

If you have plows, get'em out. If not, enjoy. This might mess up my flight to BC, as well....

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
CORRECTED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA ONTARIO REGION.
10:19 AM EST WEDNESDAY 17 DECEMBER 2008.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT ISSUED FOR..
CITY OF TORONTO
WINDSOR - ESSEX - CHATHAM-KENT
SARNIA - LAMBTON
ELGIN
LONDON - MIDDLESEX
SIMCOE - DELHI - NORFOLK
DUNNVILLE - CALEDONIA - HALDIMAND
OXFORD - BRANT
NIAGARA
CITY OF HAMILTON
HALTON - PEEL
YORK - DURHAM
HURON - PERTH
WATERLOO - WELLINGTON
DUFFERIN - INNISFIL
GREY - BRUCE
BARRIE - ORILLIA - MIDLAND
BELLEVILLE - QUINTE - NORTHUMBERLAND
KINGSTON - PRINCE EDWARD
PETERBOROUGH - KAWARTHA LAKES
STIRLING - TWEED - SOUTH FRONTENAC
BANCROFT - BON ECHO PARK
BROCKVILLE - LEEDS AND GRENVILLE
CITY OF OTTAWA
GATINEAU
PRESCOTT AND RUSSELL
CORNWALL - MORRISBURG
SMITHS FALLS - LANARK - SHARBOT LAKE
PARRY SOUND - MUSKOKA
HALIBURTON
RENFREW - PEMBROKE - BARRY'S BAY
ALGONQUIN
BURK'S FALLS - BAYFIELD INLET.

...COULD THIS BE SNOW-MAGEDDON?..

ENVIRONMENT CANADA IS GENERALLY NOT PRONE TO EXAGGERATION UNLESS THERE IS DEEMED TO BE A REAL THREAT. WE EVALUATE WEATHER INFORMATION AND PREDICTION MODELS IN A MEASURED, SCIENTIFIC MANNER AND COUPLE THAT WITH OVERALL IMPACTS FOR SIGNIFICANT EVENTS.

MOTHER NATURE FROM TIME TO TIME WILL LINE UP A NEAR PERFECT SET OF CONDITIONS THAT GENERATE A SERIES OF SIGNIFICANT EVENTS. THAT TIME APPEARS TO BE THE COMING WEEK OR SO FOR MANY PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN ONTARIO IN THE FORM OF SNOW STORMS. THERE APPEARS TO THE RIGHT BALANCE OF SUFFICIENTLY COLD AIR IN PLACE, WITH ARCTIC HIGHS TO THE NORTH AND A STORM TRACK ALONG THE LOWER GREAT LAKES. THE TERM 'SNOW-MAGEDDON' IS NOT MEANT TO ALARM ANYONE OR MAKE LIGHT OF THE SITUATION, BUT TO HIGHLIGHT THE CUMULATIVE EFFECTS AND IMPACTS THAT A SERIES OF SNOW STORMS CAN HAVE ON A WIDE REGION.

A BLANKET OF 10 CENTIMETRES HAS JUST FALLEN ACROSS MUCH OF THE LOWER GREAT LAKES. BUT A MUCH MORE SIGNIFICANT SNOW STORM IS TARGETING THE REGION ON FRIDAY. MOST WEATHER GUIDANCE CONTINUES TO TRACK A STORM CENTRE FROM COLORADO ON THURSDAY TO JUST SOUTH OF THE GREAT LAKES ON FRIDAY. IT APPEARS HEAVY SNOW ACCOMPANIED BY STRONG EASTERLY WINDS WILL CREATE A PARTICULARLY NASTY SNOW EVENT. ACCUMULATIONS MAY WELL REACH OR EXCEED 15 TO 20 CENTIMETRES. STRONG EASTERLY WINDS GUSTING TO 50 OR 60 KM/H WILL COMPOUND THE SEVERITY OF THE STORM WITH APPRECIABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND VERY POOR VISIBILITIES.
THERE IS ALSO THE POSSIBILITY OF ICE PELLETS OR FREEZING RAIN MIXED WITH THE SNOW FROM THE SOUTHWEST AND EAST ACROSS NIAGARA. A WINTER STORM WATCH WILL LIKELY BE ISSUED LATER TODAY FOR THIS FRIDAY EVENT.

THERE ARE STRONG INDICATIONS OF ANOTHER SIGNIFICANT STORM ON SUNDAY.
IT MAY VERY WELL BE SIMILAR TO THE FRIDAY STORM WITH STRONG EASTERLY WINDS AND HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLY FOLLOWED BY A WINTERY MIX OF ICE PELLETS, FREEZING RAIN OR RAIN FOR MORE SOME LOCALES.

TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS FROM THE WEDNESDAY, FRIDAY AND SUNDAY EVENTS MAY REACH 50 CENTIMETRES IN SOME AREAS. THE CUMULATIVE EFFECTS OF THESE THREE STORMS WILL MAKE TRAVEL OVER THIS PRE-CHRISTMAS PERIOD VERY DIFFICULT AT TIMES. STAY TUNED FOR ENVIRONMENT CANADA UPDATES ON THESE DEVELOPING SITUATION.

LISTEN FOR FURTHER STATEMENTS. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY ALSO BE FOUND BY CONSULTING THE LATEST PUBLIC FORECAST. THE NEXT PUBLIC FORECAST WILL BE ISSUED BY 11 AM.

END/OSPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 03:37 PM

WOOOHOO !!!! let it SNOW !!!! been itching to get on the quad and blow some donuts !!! and i can plow drivways and make damn good $$

and yes it does verywell in the snow lol
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 PM

Wish you were closer so you could "blow some donuts, and plow" my driveway. LOL

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 03:47 AM

And with a transit strike in Ottawa, things could get interesting... A good time to be away.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 09:43 AM

Wow your right, with OC transpo down I'm glad not to need to go to town..

Bring on the snow!!!!

2008 Ranger FX4
Some lift, some tires, and a winch
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:30 AM

ya i can't wait, i always get so excited when it snows, probably cause of joy associated with snow days growing up lol. for hamilton area is says 15-20 cm for friday and another 15-20 on sunday apparently !!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:56 PM

YA BABY!!!!!!!! fun in the 4x4

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
ya i can't wait, i always get so excited when it snows, probably cause of joy associated with snow days growing up lol. for hamilton area is says 15-20 cm for friday and another 15-20 on sunday apparently !!
I grew up in Kenora... way way north in Ontario... and I must be damn old because I don't ever remember a "snow day". School went ahead no matter what... and if the buses weren't running because they were stuck... you walked your ass to school in -40C weather. Put on an extra sweater and 2 pairs of gloves.

... and yes it was uphill (both ways) and we were happy to have boots!!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh66 View Post
I grew up in Kenora... way way north in Ontario... and I must be damn old because I don't ever remember a "snow day". School went ahead no matter what... and if the buses weren't running because they were stuck... you walked your ass to school in -40C weather. Put on an extra sweater and 2 pairs of gloves.

You had boots? My mom strapped 2x4's to our feet and wrapped'em in plastic bags.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh66 View Post

don't remember a snow day in Hamilton either...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode