Storing My Truck - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Care & Detailing Its all about looks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Storing My Truck

I am storing / parking my truck for the winter and would like to get some thoughts from you guy's who done this in the past or doing it now.
The do's and dont's. So far I have purchased a good all weather cover from
cover craft . I am getting it oil sprayed at Krown next week. I am wondering
if I should get a battery tender to keep the battery up since I probably won't
start the truck every week. What can I do to stop the tires from flat spotting
if I don't move the truck ? Let me know your thoughts and add in anything I
may have missed.

Thanks Larry.

Load It Like A Railcar........................... Drive It Like A Stockcar..........................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 06:32 PM

Garage
I park mine every winter as I want my truck to last for the rest of my life (being totally wishful here) and salt doesn't fit that equation. I make sure I fill the fuel tank full for less chance of condensation. If I leave it outside, I pull the batteries out so they don't freeze. I also change the oil as "used" oil is acidic and can eat bearings while sitting. I do have a diesel so I don't know if this is true for gas motors. If you get lots of snow, taking wipers and arms off is a good idea too...unless you have a cover! If you can, don't park it on the grass as the moisture will come up and collect under the truck, causing rust. Set it up on jack stands if you're worried about the tires.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 10:08 PM

If you have the time make sure you get a good coat of wax on it before putting it under the cover.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Apprentice

Plug the exhaust with rags, same for the intake opening if you have a stock intake and any "cozy" openings you can see from underneath. Mice like to find their new homes in those areas.

'04 Ranger Edge 4.0 V6
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 AM

I store my Porsche every winter and have done this over the last 9 years with both that I have/had owned:

1. Change the oil. As stated by others the acid etc will cause problems over the winter. No need to change it in spring. Just start the vehicle up and let it idle for about 10 minutes. Drive it slowly till it fully warms up. Any water in the oil would have boiled off by this time.

2. Wash and wax the vehicle. Get a good cover for it and if it is being stored inside, leave the windows lowered by about an inch to keep the interior fresh.

3. Disconnect the battery after you have fully charged it. If it will be stored outside it's better to bring it inside. I have seem battery tenders that fail and kill a battery.

4. Over inflate the tires to maximum pressure it will take. Get 4 pieces of styrafoam about 2" thick and park the vehicle on top of this. This way the added pressure and the styrafoam will not cause flat spots. Newer tires it is not a real problem as one they get up to operating temperature (warm) the flat spot disapears. It's best not to jack the vehicle up as the suspension needs a load on it to maintain it's self. If possible lay a tarp down to keep the floor clean and reduce the condensation under the vehicle.

5. If not a secure location, put some steel wool in each tailpipe to keep the mice out. Nothing is as funny as seeing mice bodies being blown out the exhaust pipes when the motor is under load ...

6. I place a volcanic air freshener inside to keep the odors out. Thiese can be bought at Lee Valley Tools.

7. Fill the tank with non-ethanol gasoline such as Shell or Husky 91 octane. If it's a metal tank fill it up to keep rust off it. If it's plastic, a quarter to half tank is all one needs. You want to add fresh gas in the spring to keep it running well. Ethanol gas has a tendancy of absorbing water which will cause issue. You need to minamize this. EDIT: Add fuel stabil to the tank as well.

This is the standard set up at most storage outfits that handle vehicles from high end to bikes and everything in between. I have had years of good results following these steps. Hope this helps.

2010 FX-4 5.4 SCREW, Luxury, short box, nav/camera
Retired after 38 years with the same company!

Last edited by Jaak; 06-06-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode