Pressure Washer Recommendation? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Care & Detailing Its all about looks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Pressure Washer Recommendation?

So I'm in the market for a small electric pressure washer that might be used a half dozen times a year around the house, or whenever the undercarriage gets too dirty.

I've been searching, reading online reviews ,etc. and feel like I'm not further ahead. So, I'll ask my peers here at Ford Tough - what model do you have, and what do you like and dislike about it?

BTW, I'm in the $ 200-$250 range (pre-tax) Based on "brand recognition" I would probably look to buy a Karcher but I'm not committed to any one brand. I'd like to hear some real-world experiences first.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 07:11 AM

No experience with the electric models, but 5 or 6 years ago I bought a Simoniz gas model when CTC had it on sale for like half price, threw in my CTC money and got it for free.

I'd say go gas over electric for portability and power, always better to have it and not need it, over needing it and not having it.

I don't have an overly powerful model, but if I'm not careful it can dig into the deck quite easily.

Likes : portable, powerful, relatively in-expensive (CTC will always put stuff on sale, you just have to wait), on-line addition of soap into the stream is nice, two levels of power, adjustable spray pattern (from wide to narrow)

Dislikes : like any small engine, sometimes its hard to start, the more expensive models have on-board tanks for soap etc, mine just has a hose that you stick in the jug of chemicals, sometimes you have to be careful when you move the washer you don't knock over the jug, but most times the hose is long enough so it's not an issue.

I'll have a look to see which one I've got, but I don't think it's even available anymore, but there will be something like it out there.

Hope that helps.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 12:24 PM

i bought a few electric ones from crappy tire that would die in a year.
since then i moved onto a gas on from costco. its a karcher setup and was 399 and i got on sale for 299. had it 5 years now and still going strong.
i would never recommend a electric one ever again.

here is what mine looks like. just colours are a little different. has the same hose you drop into the soap container. then knock over when moving machine. i put a hole in a cap and screw it back on the bottle so when it tips. no waste.
also with the electric one with the bottle to hold the soap. you have to clean it ever time or the soap gunk's up the container and don't work no more.

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 02:03 PM

Jeez, time flies, just found the owners manual, it was a Simoniz S2000 that I bought in 2005 for $300, plus taxes.

Copy and paste pic from Google, but that's the one.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

I saw the gas Karcher unit at Costco yesterday, I think the current price is $ 499. The Honda motor suggested quality to me.

I'm usually the guy who would rather spend $ 600 to get a better model if the cheapest unit is $ 400, but I'm really struggling with this decision. For the number of times I'll likely use it I can do a lot of $ 10 sessions at the local DIY wash. On the flip side I'm sure it's one of those things that you'd find new uses for once you've got one.

Most reviews I read suggest electric is junk, which makes me hesitant. Thanks for the info guys.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 02:23 AM

I got an electric one from work, my "you've worked here 5 yrs and haven't quit yet" gift so I got it for free. Its one of the cheaper karcher ones. I think I've used it twice in 4 yrs. Does and ok job but the hose to the soap bottle is so light I had to tie a piece of metal to it to keep it at the bottom of the container. If really needed a good one I'd go gas all the way.

Whaddya mean I dont pay my bills?? Whydya think I'm broke!!

03 Lariat Crew 4x4 Line-x bedliner, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau.
RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 07:42 AM

Garage
I have the Hose & Elbow model. Got it for under $50 new and have had it for 30 years. Works great and can be had just about anywhere.

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:05 PM

i have an electric karcher that my old man gave me when he upgraded to gas model.
for how often I use it, it does the trick. can still fuck up the deck if youre not careful or peel the stickers off the quad.
funny, I got an email from IHL this am and the top item for sale was an electric karcher for 69$. seems like heckuva deal to me.
bit of a drive from Brantford, but it is a nice place to check out.
see if this link works....

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....8-d4ae52724810
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pointslow View Post
i have an electric karcher that my old man gave me when he upgraded to gas model.
for how often I use it, it does the trick. can still fuck up the deck if youre not careful or peel the stickers off the quad.
funny, I got an email from IHL this am and the top item for sale was an electric karcher for 69$. seems like heckuva deal to me.

i seen this on sale also this morning. was gonna post it here.

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pointslow View Post

Interesting. I will be in that area on Friday. Funny how when I go to the website I can't find that particular unit/deal. May have to stop in and have a look; thanks!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode