? powerstroke - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

? powerstroke

not sure ,i just bought a 7.3direct injection turbo its a 94 250 xlt is this powerstroke?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 02:33 AM

Garage
'93-94 was the period when Ford was changing over from the IDI (Indirect injection) to the Powerstroke. And somewhere in between, there was IDI with turbo. I'm not totally sure when Powerstroke actually started ('94 1/2 or '95 I think). I'm not knocking this site, but there isn't a lot of diesel info here...especially the older ones. I'm a diesel guy and have been a member here for a few years now and I will be staying because there is a lot of good info and cool people here. If you can't get info you need here, go to: thedieselstop.com (I am a member there too). It's the best site for any Ford diesel and you should be able to find the info you're looking for. Good luck with your new ride, and keep us posted here with your progress so we can get more diesel info on this site.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

cool ill check that site out ...thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 03:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
Yup most of the trucks on here are gassers and there's not a lot of pre97 owners here either. I'm one of the few but mine's a gasser

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 AM

In 1994 if you got a manual trans, it was a powerstroke, if its an automatic it came with an IDI turbo.

it is actually very easy to tell the difference by opening the hood:
powerstroke has the air filter on the driver's side inner fender.
powerstroke has no steel lines or injection pump on top of engine
powertroke has a fuel filter housing sitting right in the centre of the motor.

IDI turbo has a square air filter box in the centre of the engine with a hose going to same place the older 7.3 IDI n/a engines did.
your oil fill will be in a front timing cover(rounded aluminum thing), injection pump is mounted in this cover also, 8 steel lines running to all 8 injectors right on top.
fuel filter/housing is on top of the passenger side rocker cover.

I'm a diesel guy and have owned driven both of these engines.
both have their good points.
love the IDI turbo engine for its "off idle" torque, the turbo only pushes a little boost.
the powerstroke is a good motor, but not quite as good the first year as they used the EEC4 computer system. 95 -2003 were much easier to communicate with/diagnose problems.

for low speed/offroad/farm use the IDI is better I think
for everything else the 7.3 powerstroke.

I've seen a 2000 powerstroke over 800,000km on it torn down and show almost no wear at all.

I don't think I have erver seen an idi turbo over 400,000 without being rebuilt.

if its a powerstroke CHANGE YOUR OIL , they won't put up with dirty oil for long!

cheers James

[SIGPIC]
summer: RIP 72 Bronc, 68 Merc,
Daily:94 Exp xlt , Barney the PSD CW
projects: all on hold for now
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

thanks but i have 7.3 Di turbo ,air is where you say it is ,nowis it powerstroke if it does not say conflicting confusion still learning. diesel too...and e40d trans
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 AM

where did you get the "Di" from?
idi stands for indirect injection. old 7.3/6.9
powerstrokes are direct injection but I've never seen them identified as "Di" , if you post a pic of your engine bay it is pretty easy to spot the difference.
If you can't I can take a pic of each Monday, have both at the farm and will stick them up here for you.

how many km on your new truck, there is thread for that too

[SIGPIC]
summer: RIP 72 Bronc, 68 Merc,
Daily:94 Exp xlt , Barney the PSD CW
projects: all on hold for now
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

so in learning,my carguru buddy says yes a direct injection 7.3,375 th clicks today all test say its in great shape really guit no smoking, but have noticed a constant small vibration ,at idle.hoping it was alternator bearing,but new alt and still there,only thing i have done is change trans oil and put in Rotella in engine,different then previous owner maybe it doesnt like it he used castrol,or is this normal vibration for a diesel for instance i put my hand on air filter box and feel it ...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode