6.4ltr blowing white smoke - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

6.4ltr blowing white smoke

We bought a 2008 f-450 to pull our 5th wheel with and it tows just fine. It has been a money pit for the year and a half we've had it. Now all of a sudden it is blowing white clouds out the tail pipe, no loss of power and it runs fine. When I either give it fuel or let off it puffs out white smoke. It seems to be water vapour. A friend suggested it might be a head gasket? Is this a big job involving serious money? The dealer just had the cab off for other engine problems ( something to do with a cracked water pump housing or like that). The truck is stuck at the airport and is about 100 or so kms from home. Would it destroy the motor to limp it back home to the dealer? PS: there doesn't seem to be any oil contamination in the engine. The truck has 160,000 kms on it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 10:58 PM

White smoke occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include

Faulty or damaged injectors
Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).
Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)

When white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing. Use of our Flushing Oil Concentrate and FTC Decarbonizer address these respective problems.

Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry, and are often to blame. Unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

6.4 LTR blowing white smoke

We bought a 2008 f-450 to pull our 5th wheel with and it tows just fine. It has been a money pit for the year and a half we've had it. Now all of a sudden it is blowing white clouds out the tail pipe, no loss of power and it runs fine. When I either give it fuel or let off it puffs out white smoke. It seems to be water vapour. A friend suggested it might be a head gasket? Is this a big job involving serious money? The dealer just had the cab off for other engine problems ( something to do with a cracked water pump housing or like that). The truck is stuck at the airport and is about 100 or so kms from home. Would it destroy the motor to limp it back home to the dealer? PS: there doesn't seem to be any oil contamination in the engine. The truck has 160,000 kms on it. Thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 11:59 PM

Check the other thread you posted this on

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 02:09 AM

it MIGHT just be condensation in the muffler

though smoke when letting off the throttle might mean worse than that

my 5.4 used to leave long white trails behind it before I took the oil drum muffler off and swaped it for something else

when I pulled that muffler off it drained a huge puddle of water out of it

if you have had a major change in weather as the problem started this might hopefully be it

there should be a small drain hole in the muffler - might be worth the effort to try seeing if it's blocked by giveing it a bit of a reaming with something you can poke in the hole

maaybe you'll get lucky
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 05:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo View Post
Check the other thread you posted this on
The more identical threads you post, the more likely you are to get a response.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 AM

lol
he musta double taped the button button

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode