biodiesel - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

biodiesel

Have any of you diesel drivers made your own biodiesel? I've been thinking about trying to make my own and curious as to where to get the ingredients(other than the vegetable oil) and how to go about it. I've seen some of the videos on the net but don't know if they're believable or not. I'd appreciate any input if any of you have made it and run it in your truck. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 11:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to Bush_aholic
I know a few years back, like 6 to be exact we had someone in town that would go collect used oil around town and had a fair size filtering/filling station in his garage. He had two tanks one for bio diesel and one for regular diesel. I'm pretty sure he said he only ran the bio diesel in the summer because our winters are too cold for vegetable oil.

Don't see that guy around anymore he must have moved away, he had an F350 must have been a 7.3L, long time ago....

Myth Busters on the Discovery Chanel did an episode about it and ran a liter on regular diesel then a liter of pure vegetable oil and it ran fine,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEX1YFXYTdI

I only drive in the city, to get out of it!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 11:10 AM

With Biodiesel you have to be careful to get the mix right. We have seen some pretty nasty pumps come through our pump shop that had the mixture wrong. There are websites where they sell the home producing kits. Do your homework before you are going to run it. It could be a very costly mistake if you dont.

Pat Stewart
Technical Sales
www.bd-power.com
800-887-5030 xt 101

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I've been checking various websites to find out more. I think even in Canada it should work provide the fuel is kept warm. I work for a heating oil company, and i've seen all types of oil furnaces with tanks outside. and in cases where we found the fuel to start to gel we would insulate the oil line and in some cases wrap the line with a heater cable(in very cold conditions). The problem never seemed to be with the fuel so much, but rather the fuel filter where the dirt particles would get trapped thats where the gelling would happen. I don't know if that would be the same in a diesel engin or not?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 09:30 PM

Yep I think they sell kits with the heaters and special filters, wonder if you could stick a couple block heaters on your gas tank and wire them for AC & DC current...lol

If you look more on youtub there are tonnes of people showing how they rigged theirs up

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm going to play around with this on my old F-350 diesel before I try it on my Ex.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 11:56 PM

That sounds like a good plan, I would be kind of sketchy about it too, even if I knew it would be fine.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:41 PM

Bio diesel in the summer is fine. In the winter you will want to mix it with normal petrol diesel. If you run bio you will also want to replace your stock fuel lines as the bio is more acidic and will wear them down. I have heard of "viton fuel line" but don't know if that is a company or a type of line. These are supposed to be able to stand up to bio. After your first tank you will also want to change your filters as this stuff will clean out your engine very well. I have researched the crap out of this stuff and plan to produce some once I finish my diesel swap. The only ingredients you need in the process are lye (hardware store) and methanol (race fuel). Last I heard it was about 60 cents per litre to make the stuff assuming you get the waste veggie oil (WVO) free. Most of the cost would be the methanol that is needed to separate the esters from the glycerine. The above information may not be 100% accurate as this is from research and not experience! But I say go for it!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 11:06 PM

I've bought the fuel meister II kit and plan on making bio as soon as I get methanol and lye. I actualy plan on test used in the oil furnace in my shop (don't want to hurt my expensive ddp injectors until I'm sure, maybe I'll test it on a vw first)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:00 AM

sounds like alot of hassle for 60 cents a litre?i guess 20 cents or so a litre is a good savings but sounds risky(viton fuel lines and such???)hmmm

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode