here's something I found on Magnaflow - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Black Ice
Post here's something I found on Magnaflow

Ok, first of, you CAN run true duals with the stock converters. Anyone who says otherwise has never actually taken a look at how your vehicle is set up.

Secondly, you can get better cats than Magnaflow. Magnaflow is nothing more than a private label on an otherwise worse than average converter. There are several brands that are better. Magnaflow uses cheap Korean steel, and it is about 50% thinner than what other brands often use. It will offer you no sound or power gains over the original converter in your application, unless your original is plugged.

There are no gains to be had by going with true duals. And any benefits would be negated by the fact that you then have to run two mufflers, and two pipes, so it costs more, and weighs more. You can get just a good a sound by using a dual outlet muffler and running two tailpipes. It also delivers more power and costs less.

My advice is to leave the stock cats alone. They are not restrictive, and unless they are damaged, there is no reason to replace them.

If you did want to replace them, we have cats that work really well for that. Our part# 1005 is larger and less expensive, longer lasting and better built than Magnaflow. As a result of its larger cross section, it flows better and sounds better.

The Magnaflow you have selected is a smaller cat than their standard series. The 94100 series is one of Magnaflows economy products, and is best suited for older smaller vehicles. In contrast, our 1000 series is designed with trucks in mind, with special attention to flow, load rating, and sound. It has 30% more catalyst than the equivalent Magnaflow, 25% more airflow, and more than double the lifespan.

On the subject of the muffler, the kit is overall good and should last a long time, and has a good sound. However, the mufflers are made of the same Korean steel as their converters, and the mufflers often eventually break around the necks, often on both the inlet and the outlet. I would consider a Borla, Flowmaster, or Dynomax instead.

Will have to find what CAT they're talking about.http://www.bearriverconverters.com/

Last edited by Black Ice; 11-16-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 PM

thanks for the info, My one question is will it set off any engine codes after installing these cats?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:00 PM

I have been running Magnaflow hi flow cats for over 3 years with no issues just put them in the same location and your good to go

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKRWZ View Post
I have been running Magnaflow hi flow cats for over 3 years with no issues just put them in the same location and your good to go
what did you notice after installing them? Any power gains? Louder exhaust? etc. etc.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 11:43 AM

I did the hi flow cats along with a cat back exaust and some shorty headers and CAI with custom tumes so I can't tell you the differnce alone but it deffenetly has a nicer rumble to it and all those Mods together worked well

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 12:32 AM

I've had my maggies since May , but had them done around the same time as other mods so I cant say if there was a quantifiable gain or not but the sound is much deeper at idle and normal driving, gets a tad ricey when you stand on it but thats cuz mine's a v6 not an 8 but so far I love them.

Whaddya mean I dont pay my bills?? Whydya think I'm broke!!

03 Lariat Crew 4x4 Line-x bedliner, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau.
RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 01:07 AM

I have put Magnaflows on 5 vehicles of mine and have never had a problem with them. I would like to know where you or this persons whos post you copied got thier facts or sources from. Anyone can just spout anything they want to sell there product.

"Buy tohi2care HID kits as they contain 10% more gas in thier bulbs then other leading manufacturers who also use Antarctic glass in thier kits"

See how easy it is....
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 02:53 PM

I would buy those based on that tohi. LMAO
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:05 PM

I just pulled the cats completely out of my 04 f150. Definately got more sound and more power, and the dyno proved it.

2004 Lincoln Aviator 32v 4.6L V8
R.I.P. - 2004 F150 FX4
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:51 PM

Can you post the printouts?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode