Home Garden Tractors - recommendations ?? - Page 3 - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pointslow View Post
you say you have a good snowblower now, i am not sure that one that you hook to your lawn tractor would be signficantly better than what i would deem a 'good' walk behind.
Old thread I know, but ……...

Having been through the type of winter we've had so far, and having the opportunity to put it through it's paces, I will say that the blower I have on the JD outperforms ANY walk behind on the market.

Didn't buy the garden tractor for cutting grass, but it's a nice bonus.

Primary purpose was to clear snow……did that yesterday wearing my house slippers.

Let's see you do that with a 'good' walk behind.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 10:28 AM

how does it out perform your walk behind?
and sorry I don't have house slippers. haha.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Easy - clears more snow, does it faster, throws it further, and stays on the driveway surface, chews through the harder packed snow instead of climbing up it.

Think backing the truck out the driveway before clearing the driveway.

Plus, I'm not getting a face full of snow when the wind changes direction.

Sorry to hear about your lack of house slippers, try being nicer to Santa next time. lol

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 10:58 AM

Kinda seems like over kill with that little dusting of snow Mike. We have had over 200 cm since Nov.16. Guess like they say, if you got it flaunt it.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Now, I'm not sure how much snow we've had, I'm guessing it's not 200 cm. ( you flaunting that fact ?)

Nice sarcasm, I almost missed it.

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 PM

Garage
I'm confused...Are we flaunting tractors or snow accumulations?

2014 F150 FX4 | SuperCrew | 5.0L | 4x4 | Sterling Grey Metallic
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good question, looks like Glen's bragging about how many cm's he's got.

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 01:43 PM

Garage
Funny this post came up again. As for recommendations, I just happened to catch this ad on Kijiji the other day:

http://skeena.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ499257210
Unusable after 280 hours of mowing. For me, that is 56 times mowing my lawn. Hard to believe isn't it that you would pay almost 4 grand for a mower that would last such a short time.The local dealer in Terrace won't help, and neither will Husqvarna, despite the frame breaking being a known problem with Husqvarna mowers. Husqvarna says it has been misused. What a joke! Mowing your lawn is misuse. I guess my old Craftsman lawn tractor that mowed this same lawn for 15 years without any problems didn't know that mowing grass was misuse for a riding mower. And I guess the hundreds of people who have complained about the same problem on the internet are all abusing their riding mowers also by mowing their grass. Husqvarna will say anything to avoid having to admit they have a problem. Anyway, if you would like to purchase this piece of junk, email me. Comes with 48 inch mowing deck and 3 bag grass catcher and mulch kit, none of it very good quality. Purchased new in July 2009. By the summer of 2011, the frame broke. Was out of service for 1 month that time. Since it was a known problem, they eventually installed a reinforcing kit. In early May 2013, the frame broke again, right beside the reinforcing kit. It sat at the dealership for 6 weeks before the dealer gave me an answer which is that they wouldn't fix it at their cost. And the whole time they wouldn't even supply a loaner mower. Great customer service don't you think? If you want to know where not to buy lawn mowers in Terrace, email me and I will let you know.

I don't think I'd be buying one of those!

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4MT View Post
Now, I'm not sure how much snow we've had, I'm guessing it's not 200 cm. ( you flaunting that fact ?)

Nice sarcasm, I almost missed it.
Don't know if I'm flaunting that or not, maybe just jealous since my snow blower has been in the shop for three months waiting for a gear case that isn't porous. Good old Craftsman quality. I'm very lucky to have very good neighbours. Even had bucket loader in once for driveway.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
That's frustrating as hell Glen, sorry to hear your blower is out of commission, especially given the state of things.

I used to buy Craftsman quite a bit myself, my last walk behind was a Craftsman, and it's part of the reason I got pissed off enough to buy the JD.

Craftsman used to be the only thing in my toolbox for hand tools, but I don't know if it's me or what, but the quality and durability seems to have dropped off.

I've actually been buying CTC's Mastercraft Maximum stuff, and been impressed.

Back on topic, I'm not sure how much snow we've gotten, but according to the timer in the cab, I've got at least five hours seat time in so far this year, and when you consider how fast this pig clears snow, that's no dusting.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode