Home Garden Tractors - recommendations ?? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Home Garden Tractors - recommendations ??

Been toying with the idea of buying a garden tractor for use around the house, but not really sure what would fit the bill, so figured why not start a discussion and see if anyone out there has one, or has some experiences, good or bad.

First up - what sort of service am I looking for ?

At the most basic, I'm looking to cut grass in the summer, and blow snow in the winter.

I don't have a huge property by any means, but with the push mower I'm averaging about an hour start to finish.

Figure that could be cut down considerably with a ride-on mower.

More importantly, I'd like to be able to blow snow in the winter. Again, not a huge driveway...it is a double wide mind you, and you could probably fit four cars no problem.

I have a fairly capable snowblower, but there are several things working against me : prevailing winds and orientation of the houses around me make for great drifting near the end of my driveway, coupled with a corner lot and sometimes significant banks from the town plow. Get a crappy winter and you could be out there twice a day at least.

Normally, I just plow through the banks, or jump over the higher ones with the Raptor, , but my wifes Edge isn't so nimble, or airworthy.

Prices seem to be not too bad for these things.....you can get a John Deere at Home Depot for less than $2000, but what does that get you?

I'm looking for some horsepower numbers, ease of swapping out attachments (say mower to blower), drive systems etc.

Not sure if I can justify having a toy like this, but discussion never hurt right ??

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
http://www.cubcadet.ca/webapp/wcs/st...153506_1345866

I parents picked up this bad boy last year i think. i think it was 4200~ish. nicely built machine. 54" deck. pretty tight turning radius. not quite zero turning though.
the blower attachment kit and wheel chains & weights will be roughly 2000. to upgrade.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 AM

pretty much any light mowers are all the same with a different hood... MTD makes the majority so your basically buying a John Deere/Cub Cadet/New Holland and other brands and there all made at the same plant just painted differently.

If you get into the 300series and up with John Deere then they are made by John Deere but it shows in the prices.... the ones they sell at HomeDepot/Lowes are cheaper because hardly any warrenty is offered with them compared to the dealer.

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 AM

like LayinHP said, all lightduty ones are basically the same, just with different color hoods.
to get into a good one, you gotta spend a significant amount of money.
then the weights, chains, blower for the winter on top of that.
you say you have a good snowblower now, i am not sure that one that you hook to your lawn tractor would be signficantly better than what i would deem a 'good' walk behind.
if it takes you an hour all told to cut your grass now with a push mower, you likely wont be saving that much time with a tractor if youre anal like i am.
still going to be trimming around the trees, etc. with the push mower.
an hour means a smaller yard, so lotsa turnin n backin up with the tractor unless you get a zero turn one but then i dotn think you could hook a blower to it in teh winter.
dont get me wrong, new toys are always fun.
but it seems like a lawntractor wont fit the bill for what youre after.
suck it up and push the grass in the summer, get a quad with a blade for plowing the driveway in winter and have fun with it at other times.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Great stuff, exactly what I was looking for, thanks fellows.

Good point with the turning and backing up, I'm going to put in a fence eventually, so that makes for even more maneuvering.

Quote:
suck it up and push the grass in the summer, get a quad with a blade for plowing the driveway in winter and have fun with it at other times.
LOL at that one 5pointslow, well said.

Seems like a lot of things, you get what you pay for.

I kind of figured there was one major manufacturer and you basically got a different colour scheme and hood depending on who re-branded it.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:57 PM

You want to buy a garden tractor to cut the grass and to clear the driveway in the winter?

I don't get it. Didn't you mention you have a wife?

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Too busy in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It's a year old thread, but the writing was on the wall, and all it took was another winter wrestling with the goddamn snowblower to prompt me to pick up this baby....

2001 John Deere 425, complete with soft cab, full hydraulics, mower, blower and tire chains, 20 hp Kawisaki gas engine, complete as a package.

Cab doors are removable for summer use.

Attachments are shaft drive, super easy to swap from mower to blower.

I didn't really buy this to cut grass, it's mostly for blowing snow.

Between a corner lot, and prevailing winds, I get a shitload of drifting and then there's the town plow's contribution at the end of the driveway. lol

Got a friend of mine that has one and took it for a test drive back in February, kept my eyes open and picked it up from Huron Tractor, just outside Walkerton on HWY6.

Nice little machine, used to take me an hour or so to cut the grass in the hot sun with a 21" push mower , now I'm in the shade, drinking a coffee and less than 15 minutes.

It's got 1200 some odd hours on it, but it was well maintained, one owner, and the price was right.

Incidentally, this is no Home Depot machine, everything is pretty heavy duty for a home garden tractor, which suits me fine.

Maybe all I need now is to fabricate myself a stack for the front end, right Blair ???

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:09 AM

gotta go 2 stacks...ones gay.... lol

nice machine... ive been watching the auctions/kijiji for a larger full framed machine ive got an LA165 Deere nice machine but would like something heavier

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 AM

gay, hire a mexican

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode