Garage Heaters? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage Heaters?

I know it's June, but I'm thinking now would be a good time to pick up a used garage heater. I've got a few questions.

My new garage is almost finished. I'm not planning on insulating it, because I'm not going to heat it full-time -- only when I'm working in it. Mostly I'll use it for shop space to do woodworking, eg., make new kitchen cabinets, etc. That'll generate a lot of airborne dust, and I don't want an explosion. That rules out anything with an open flame inside the building.

What I was thinking of going with is a used Herman Nelson type of construction heater, around 60,000 BTU, like this kind:

I plan on making a removable panel to fit in my garage window, and running a duct from the heater, located outside, through the window opening. The heater will sit outside while it's running.

Usually the ones I see advertised locally say they run on kerosene, but from checking manuals online, I see some models can also burn diesel. I'd like to use diesel, because it's a lot cheaper.

So, my question is, for you guys that have experience with these heaters -- can you generally substitute #1 diesel for kerosene in these types, or what?

Thanks for any tips.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 PM

just insulate it and drywall put in a nice heater. and be done with it.

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 PM

you can use diesel in a kerosene heater but it will gum up and wont burn as clean we have kerosene heaters in some cranes and diesel has been used but the mechanics dont want it used all the time

just get one thats indoor friendly some arent and put fumes in along with the heat (bad for small spaces)

i do agree with Blair the extra $$ now and you will be alot happier with haveing heat all the time but it does cost more upfront...

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 AM

Get a used oil furnace from someone switching to gas. Then just use 5 gal cans of diesel when you need heat. Then you won't face a big bill at the end of the month. I think not insulating it if you are heating it at all in the winter is a mistake though.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 09:42 PM

i had a good boiler i just took to scrap.... oil fed older but worked great a few copper lines and it would be way overkill lol

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 10:21 PM

Don't be so cheap. Insulate and put in a proper heater. Only way to go IMO

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:58 PM

if you insulate it will hold the heat better

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 07:01 PM

with my garage insulated if i drive my truck in after being warmed up. It will heat and hold enough to not have to have the furnace on/

I do not have an insulated door in my garage so i lose mega heat at -30 so i dont heat it over night at extreme cold temps
if i turn the heat on for 30 mins in the morning before work, then leave it all day off when i get home its around 2c
then i do the same thing at night.

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for all the input.

Sadly, there will be no insulation in the foreeable future. Mainly, because I've got watch my budget, as I need to spend a lot of money on repairs/upgrades to my property still.

The other thing is that my contractor, who has a very good reputation, and seems to know what he's talking about, advised me not to do it, especially in the first few years. He thinks it causes problems with the way the building settles/warps. His company does garages exclusively.

Also, I've read it accelerates corrosion on your vehicle. You drive in from the cold with frozen salt/snow/slush underneath, and then it warms up and turns to liquid. That's when it really does the damage. Better to leave it frozen until you've got the opportunity to properly wash it off.

In an ideal world, I'd insulate it, but I've got to make a trade-off. For the relatively small amounts of time I'd be heating it, I don't think the insulation payback would come for a very long time. So, yeah, it's inefficient, but in the short term, cheaper.

Interesting about diesel gumming up these heaters. Is it the sulfur, do you think? I've had these types of heaters apart before, and there's not much to them. I wonder if there's an additive which would help keep the fuel nozzle clean, or if I mixed diesel and kerosene?

The used oil furnace idea is good. I'd have to build a shed for it, and duct it in (open flame).

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Apprentice

I use an old Coleman oil fired space heater. Very simple, no noise (like what you are looking at), safe and efficient. Check your local clasifieds for them, Coleman made tons of them years ago, got mine for free.

2008 F350 CC SB Lariat 20's, Nav DVD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode