Was I over the line whith this one?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 94.7%

Ford Garage/dealer Good&Bad experiences

6K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  fordtough.ca 
#1 ·
Ok before I get pumbled by all the hard core ford fans, I want to let you know I'm FORD all the way, but I think that people should know and be able to let people know about good/bad customer care.

About six months ago my heater core blew in my truck, no biggy. When I when to see the service rep at elliot lake ford (I always gave them good buissnes) the rep who's name I won't mention told me it would cost over 1000$ for the install due to taking apart the whole dash. So when he ask what day would be good to come in I told him I was gonna shop around on that one, that I wasen't too crazy on paying 1000$ labour for a 100$ part.

He went nutz, he started yelling saying you can take your buisness elsewere and that they helped me out sooooo much that I should be greatful they even worked on my old truck there was too many miles on her, bla bla bla....wow... So I told him were to shove it then took off.. got my heater core fixed by a ford mechanic after hours for 400$....

Now everytime I go there with the work trucks he's never been nicer because my boss buys a new truck every other year and are vehcles get regular maintenace almost every month because we use them lot's and drive them hard...He hates the fact that my truck never goes in there garage anymore and is running better than ever.

I think no matter what you drive or spend, if you represent a big corperation like Ford you should keep your mouth zipped and a big smile, unless it get's personal. If it's your one private company then do what you want.

Any comment's, bashes(be nice), own stories are welcome. Post them up!!!!!!!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
I had similar experience at a ford dealer in Brampton, I now drive 30 km to get my truck fixed in Orangville where I bought my latest truck. Quality mechanics, great service great tech support, never waited longer than 30 min for a truck, which I think is very reasonable. Hope your dealer learn his lesson, and for my dealer (Blackstock Ford) there should be more like that #1

#4 ·
He went nutz, he started yelling saying you can take your buisness elsewere and that they helped me out sooooo much that I should be greatful they even worked on my old truck there was too many miles on her,
Being a tech I have seen lots of similar scenarios like these played out time and time again ! This kind of thing is why Ford has their customer feedback survey for sales and service departments.( if you recieve one in your area ) Every good or bad response they get back is posted on internal ford website for dealer principal/service manager/sales managers to review good or bad it is all there. The service manager should take appropriate action in a case like this to help you out for the arrogance and sheer unprofessionalism of his employee.:violent105: Some service advisors/reps think that they have the only means by which you can have your truck repaired and they lose business because of this attitude they must remember The customer is always right !!!! and if it takes discounting the parts and labour to keep a customer happy so be it. They will always make it back over the long run when they recieve referals from that customer to other people. :drinks:

#5 ·
I can't comment on your situation, but I have bought at least a vehicle from each Ford dealer in London and St.Thomas in the past 15 years. I went to Orangeville to buy the last(3 hour drive)........nuff said! I get the vehicles serviced at a local independent(not a dealership) when I can't do it.

#6 ·
ALL of my experiences of Ford dealers have been in the states!!!!

The good experience for me was the dealer when I got my truck from a Ford dealer in Louisville,Ky!!! Everything when great and had no problems with them.

The Bad experience was about this time last year when my bro and I went to see our younger bro in Ky. We drove my bro 01 F250 V10 and everything was going great on the trip down to Ky, until we were in Dayton,Oh. We heard a and bad sound from the engine and my bro check it out and found a plug came out of the head(spitting a plug). In Ohio they have road side service and one of them stop to check on us and the guy called for a tow truck. Since we are hours away from our bro house and my bro decided to take the truck to a local Ford dealer in Dayton. Lets just say my brother didn't get his truck back over a week after dropping it off with them!!!

#7 ·
Bush_aholic
you were not over the line, that just sounds like a dealer tiring to rip you off and take you for a ride witch is total crap on their part and it wouldnt make me want to deal with them in the future

#8 ·
I don't go to dealerships anymore for repairs, if I can't or don't want to do it myself(thanks winter) I go to a private shop with my personal truck, they are much nicer and welcom your buissnes. But I'm trying to get my boss to go to Blackstock for the FX6 package on his 08' F350, showed him pic's yesterday.

98nascartruck
I blew 2 plugs from my heads at 190000km, the same ford dealer in elliot lake found other problems to fix and charged me 3000$, took both heads to get all holes machined, new manifold, timing chaine(link or something), 2 new coils, I cant remeber anything else, but wow$$$ he gave me the part's at cost for that repaire and that's why when he freaked he said they helped me out lot's, ya rite......I have more than one truck and they knew this so it took three weeks to get it back...

#9 ·
I bought both my Ranger and Focus from Erinwood Ford in Mississauga. For service I go to either Erinwood Ford or Meadowvale Ford. Both dealers are great. The worst thing about Ford is Ford themselves. Ford of Canada treats customers like crap. After you sign your purchase contract Ford of Canada does not want to hear from you till you want another vehicle. I fought Ford for 2 years and finally ended up in court. Two days prior the court date Ford of Canada calls me asking to settle out of court. It was a very good settlement.

#10 ·
I took my truck in to the local dealer for an oil change and tire rotation on a Saturday. The dealer closed at 3 and I was working until 6 so I told them to put it outside and lock the keys in it and I would come get it. When I got there I noticed my truck was dirty, like it had been driven down a gravel road, no biggy I thought they have a gravel parking lot. I go to open the door and its already unlocked with my keys sitting in plain view on the drivers seat. I notice that my carpet has dirty foot prints on it as well. I start it up and look at my gas gauge and notice its down from where it was when I dropped it off, then I look at the odometer, 60km's more than when I dropped it off! The next Monday I went in to complain and got blown off by the guy at the service counter, he got the guy who worked on it and he told he didn't drive it and took of. When I told my dad (he has bought countless trucks from them & had a Mustang on order at the time) about this he called the dealer and talked to the GM and told him how they treated me when I came in to ask them about it. He told them to fix the problem or they never see one of our 3 trucks in ever again and he'll cancel the Mustang.

The problem was never really resolved, all I received was an apology on the phone from the GM. Now when I take it there I specifically say DO NOT DRIVE MY TRUCK.

#12 ·
A bit long winded but these are my experiences at my dealership.

I bought my Ranger used at Marigold Ford & Lincoln in Whitby, Ontario last March. My truck was still under factory warranty when I bought it so of course they tried to upsell me the extended warranty. I couldn't afford it at the time so I declined.

A couple of weeks later I got a follow up call from the salesman wo sold it to me and during our conversation he told me that the previous owner may have had already purchased the warranty and I may be able to transfer it over. So I went in and got the warranty transferred over into my name and upgraded it while I was in there. So now I'm covered bumper to bumper for an extra 4 years or 150k and it only cost me $700 as opposed to $2000+.

A few weeks after that I received a customer package with a picture of me picking up my truck that was made into a calander. I thought it was a nice touch.

When you buy a vehicle from them you get every second oil change free for a year. When in for my first oil change 5k later (55k on the odo) I told them of a slight squeek I could hear when driving slow. About 45 mins later they brought my keys back to me and informed me they just replaced the front brakes free of charge. Another time I was in they replaced My third brake light free of charge also.

I upgraded my oil to synthetic on my second oil change. When I went in for my third (free) oil change I asked if i could get synthetic oil and just pay the difference on the bill. It took some messing with the computer but they obliged without complaint. (Which is more than I could say for the dealership that I bought my Ram from.)(Psst. Not that I need to tell a bunch of Ford guys, but steer clear of Big 4 Dodge on Mcleod Trail in Calgary. But that is a story for another topic. lol)

I've had good experiences with Marigold Ford and would recommend them. If we do plan on getting the new Escape when we get rid of the Ram Marigold will get my business unless something happens before then.

#15 ·
Well I'm hoping the trend continues cause when I was under my truck doing the exhaust I noticed my tailshaft seal was leaking and my tensioner is getting noisy. So I guess I'll see how they handle the warranty work.

#16 ·
my 9 months or so of service experience has gotten me a little hot under the collar a few times as well... first of all, nobody answers the phone in that place... like on a tuesday afternoon at 2:30... i sat on the phone re-calling and re-calling for about 40 minutes and never got an answer, just ringing. So Mr. Lube got that service... Then I noticed a bad wheel wobble in the rear passenger side wheel. I had a service booked for the following morning so i just dropped it at the dealership on the way home from work and asked them to have a look at it during the service. Guy said, sure no problem, we'll call yea as soon as we're done. So the next day im sitting at home, with no ride, waiting to hear so i can get to work... The service was booked for 8am, and now its noon, so i called the guy up and he said, oh yea, yea... um service was good, topped up yer fluids...yadda yadda yadda... annnnnd youve got a bent axle. So i say, fine, order the parts, let me know when they come in and ill decide whether or not i'll do it myself. So three days later, i call them up, and say, Make sure, the parts ordered, and ill book my appt for you guys to do it when it arrives... ok. my appt comes up another three days later and i show up, drop off my truck, get picked up and im not even off the lot and my cell rings... "yuuhhhh, we fergot to order the parts" so thats a week, during which, TWICE i called and asked you to order the parts. I book a day off work to get it done and you FORGET!!! "uhhh the guy who was spossed to do it went on holidays... so he forgot" so now I have to book off another day of work so you guys can do this again... itsa a good thing im a relaxed guy, i didnt fly off the handle, i just calmly told them i wasnt impressed, and they needed to get it together...(also, i didnt have to book anytime off work, i was on vaca... but they didnt have to know that... ) so yaah, guy was abit dim, gave me $200 off annnd im looking forward to my next experience

#17 ·
Sounds like they take phone service lessons from bell. Ford need's to step up and take care of some of the bad apples for dealers, makes all the other Ford dealer's look bad. I know I can't really trust the dealers anymore because I was always well treated in elliot for the first year but the first time I disagreed(very politely) with them they turned on me, I wasn't so polite after that.

#18 ·
i have had great service from whitehorse motors. the one salesman( who no longer works there) would personally go out and wash each vehicle that me and the wife wanted to test drive, there was 3 or 4 that day. we settled on the expy and brought it home. when i got it home i noticed the rear tires had the steel belts poking thru in a couple places, so much for a pretrip eh? got on the phone and complained, the salesman shipped 4 new tires( better brand) the next day on the bus. also years ago i was driving into whitehorse with my then 89 f150 and the transfer case pump broke. it was over warrenty by a few thousand km's, but they got me in the same day and fixed it under warrenty. i have bought 6 vehicles from them.

#20 ·
eh, im too nice. i told them what they all were... but suprisingly with no profanity lol... nah i used to work in the same kind of customer service crap...at a parts store, and i know it sucks when you get customers like that. but i never once blatently placed the blame on someone else, thats what got me ticked.."oh, he went on holidays so he fergot uhuhuhuhuh" but rantin and ravin wont get yer parts any faster, so just be cool. plus you dont need to yell to be intimidating wen yer 6'4 220 pounds lol

#21 ·
wow it

Well yes you had the right.. I would have worded it differently.. but he shouldn't have reacted that way.. I would have kept my cool to make him look like more of an ass and asked for the owner../ GM..
They prolly would have gave you a deal on it..

But I would have left either way.. But he didn't have any right raising his voice or giving you attitude about it.. It's your vehicle.. If you wish to take it else where it's your decision..

Well.. Way back when my dad was looking to trade in his 95 Dodge Ram for a F150 he was already taking 3 vehicles to the Ford Dealer.. his ram , 99 Explorer, 97 intrepid..
When he went in to work out the deal on a '01 Screw 2wd Lairat.. They were haggling him on the deal.. they were straight up ripping him off on the trade in value..
Well I was working for a dodge dealership in the next town @ the time.. and I decided to make a trip in..

I went in to see the salesman right after I finished work.. I still had my work uniform on.. so they all knew I worked @ another Dealership.. When I went I got alot of funny looks.. Most of them thought I was looking for parts to pick up something for the dealership.. But I simply told them I wanted to speak to the salesman my parents were talking to.. I basically told him.. I work @ *** Dodge and my dad was in talking to you about the F150 out there.. He then remember them.. I said.. Look.. He has been treated fairly good in the service dept thats the reason why's he has been in asking about the f150. If you wish the service dept to loose their business on the 3 vehicles they service, you can continue to offer him a bad deal.. I do have some connections that will treat him above fair.. and gave him a wink!
He asked what my dad wanted.. I'm sure you can work something out for him.. Next day he called and lets just say the price was almost cut in half..

I bought my vehicle from that same dealership 5yrs later..
Worked out what I thought was a decent deal.. Although I had to fight for them to replace the keyless entry pad that was above the door handle.. It wasn't a wired one. It works like the keyentry keyfobs.. I asked them to get the code for it.. They couldn't get the code for it and said the piece would have to be replaced.. I asked how much? about $150.. I said is that going to be covered/replaced because I bought the vehicle with the intent on that working.. They said they would makes some calls and see if there was anyway for them to get the code. I waited a week.. Then stopped in.. Was told 100% can't get it and new part was required.. I would have to see the Sales Manager to get it approved..
I spoke with her and she said no.. It will cost too much.. thinking the pad was wired into the BCM.. I said well I bought the vehicle with under the understanding that that was going to work.. Even on my Bill of Sale it says I was buying the vehicle *As Equipped*..
Well it will cost too much we are not going to replace it.. and She had a huge attitude.. I was starting to get tempered.. they told her it was $150.. Come on?? She basically ripped my Bill of Sale out of my hand and went and seen the Service Manager.. It was then on order and they would call me when it comes in.

After that.. I never went back..

It was a 30min drive anyways..
I decided to go to the local dealership here in Woodstock.. Talked with the service manager.. good guy.. seems fair.. asked him about the back end having a shake after putting on the e-brake..
He said it could be sticking.. said would be a $25 diagnostic fee.. I go in.. they have a note.. Manager isn't there.. they take truck out.. drive it.. coem back.. 30mins later.. all done.. $46 please.. He says they didn't stick.. so they sprayed some lube on it.. I pay and leave.. call the next day.. ask manager what the deal was.. he apoligized.. Said on you next oil change I have them take the back brakes apart and clean them for free! I said deal.. I'll see you then.. so Had decent service! I liked! I got back couple times for retuin maintance.. plugs, fuel filter, oil changes..

Wife totals her vehicle.. Insurance company says check will be in on friday.. the rental has to be back friday @ 6pm.. It's Tuesday.. we have 3 days to get a vehicle for her.. I work that night so it will have to be wednesday night that we go out.. I call up the dealership and talk to the service manager.. he says I'll talk to the owner and the head salesman.. Come in he'll talk with them and have you setup.. we go in wed night. We wait almost an hour while they are busy with other people.. We are patience because we are believing we are going to get taken care of.. We finally go into the office of the head salesman.. He asks us what we want, spend, blah blah, .. We are in there almost 30mins.. Not sure what he can do with what they have in stock.. We are there for 30mins..Call him tomorrow..
Then get brushed off.. told to call tomorrow.. We were like WTF?? they would have some deals worked out. WTF? Do they not realize we NEED a vehicle.. so we result to calling the dealership I bought my truck from.. They have an Escape.. so we decide to drive the 30mins to go and take it for a test drive.. since we haven't drove one yet.. We liked it.. but that one was too much $$.. They looked on Ford Credit and another site that night.. didn't find the perfect one that fit out criteria.. They said they would look on the Ford Credits site and the Auction site tomorrow when it updates and call us..

Next day (thursday) we figured Woodstock (local) would have something worked out with what they had in stock.. but BIG FAT NO!.. nothing worked out.. He actually forgot... I had already done my research.. I knew our order wasn't very tall.. It wasn't short either though.. they would have to do a bit of digging but I knew it was doable..
(At this point we still haven't test drove a vehicle from there..) I called up ther service manager and mention our experience to him the night before.. He apoligized and said well I'm just on my way out.. Let me do some research for you.. He looks up a vehicle in stock.. tells us about it.. and said if we wanted we woudl sell it too us.. He wouldn't get paid though so I told him.. I don't expect you to do that.. so No.. We will be comign down and expect to test drive something.. well we get down there and they don't have anything in stock that fits our price range.. so no driving.. and can't find anything on Ford credit or any other dealer auction.. so we basically leave..

I had gotten a call earlier from the other ford dealer and they can get an Escape that fits our price range and all the features.. won't have it till next week.. They will lend us a demo vehicle till it's ready..
I called him and told him to process our info and we'll take it..

I called up the Service manager and told him I appreciated his work and trying to get me accomadated with a car.. but they didn't want to sell me anything.. I told the saleman we went elsewhere as well cause we felt brushed off and we needed a vehicle.. I still take my truck there for service as I believe he is geniune.. But I won't buy a vehicle from them!

Then the other dealer starts to screw with us.. they don't actually get that one.. They opt for buying another one because they were out bid.. The one they got was more money.. and had 3000kms more.. but what got me.. was the factory warranty was already up.. theat didn't meet our criteria.. They worked with me so we would still buy the vehicle because it didnt fit our original criteria..
In the end.. I won't buy from them again either..

#22 ·
The poll asks if you were "over the line with this one?"

I would say, "no", because at the end of the day, the dealership is in business because of people like us who purchase vehicles from them. If customer service/support declines, then the dealership eventually folds... in theory.

I had an unpleasant experience with our local Ford dealer way back when and have since purchased my trucks from a dealer about an hour out of town. I go back there because of the staff and their positive attitude toward the customer.

Just a thought... if they don't provide good service, do we still have to pay the GST???

#25 ·
I recently April 28th 2008 purchased a used vehicle a 2004 Ford F-150 pickup from a Ford certified dealership. (Ed Learn Ford) A week later I found out that this vehicle had been involved in two incidents totalling almost $8000.00 in damage.
I did a Carproof report on my own and found out this information. When i contacted the dealership, i was told they just forgot to tell me.
Under section 14 of the new consumer protection act. ( which is set in place for omvic which is Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council) this is considered Unfair practises. False misleading or deceptive represention, and unconscionable representation section 15. Not too tell someone that a vehicle has been involved in a motor collision.
Now that they have my $22000.00 they are telling me all they can do is find me another car. Now i don't have the right to shop around and buy a car like everyone else. I bought this truck because that day i liked it. They didn't tell me this accident information that, on that day would have had me leave and go somewhere else. In there view they made that car look great lure me in and now that they have my money sell me whatever they want.

Thank you very much for reading this.

#27 ·
Hey Silver_FX4
This totally sucks
I hope all of us Canadians can learn from this for our future buys.
Is the dealer allowing you to go to the different dealer to shop around for new Ford Truck, or you can only go through them?
I would be pissed and I bet you are too
Do you have a phone number to that dealer?
Maybe we should have a meet in St.Catharines

#28 ·
Hey Silver_FX4

Maybe we should have a meet in St.Catharines
I'm up for that. Have nice meet right in front of the place, with signs warning people. Have you thought of going to the media? They just love doing stories where car dealers lie to and try to rip off their customers.

For them lying to you I'd tell them the LEAST you can do is give my all my money back or you can speak to my lawyer.

#29 · (Edited)
yes i have contacted the media. I contacted Global tv. They have a Consumer SOS secment. And City TV. Silverman helps. None have yet replied.
There Phone number is 905 684 8791. Toll Free: 1-877-218-4048
General Manager Drew Donoghue. Owner Ed Learn. which until now I havent been able to talk too. He was there the other day when i was there i asked to speak to him, and got a big **** you from the GM.
And i dont even have the truck anymore. I was advised to stop driving it and return it to the dealership by my lawyer. So they take me seriously. After all this, I am am without any wheels now too. Its sucks asking for rides to work like a 15year old:icon_neutral:
And again guys I thank you for your support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.