Rear Limited Slip Diff Noise - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Rear Limited Slip Diff Noise

I have a 2005 F250 with a 3.73 rear limited slip axle. I was climbing a snow cover hill yesterday in only 2 wheel drive. One wheel rut was covered in snow and ice. The other wheel rut was gravel . The truck eventually chew its way up the hill but half way up the wheels began to give off a strange howl. I first thought it was the tires but I was thinking it might be the clutch packs in the limited slip mechnaism in the rear diff. I am not sure what it was. My question is can the clutch slip and create this type of noise given that one wheel had good traction and the other wheel had next to no traction ? I am not sure how the clutch packs work in the rear diff. I was told that a certain amount of torque is required to engage the limited slip ( I think it is 250 ft lbs). Can anyone comment on how they work ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 08:24 PM

Not sure if this is what you've got in your F250 ...

If it's a Torsen style LSD, then there are no clutch packs. They use helical gears. In my truck, the diff sometimes makes that howl in the winter before it warms up, and that's just starting from a light or something. I believe this is fairly common sound for Torsens under the right conditions when they're trying to hook up.

One way to get a Torsen LSD to catch is by lightly applying the parking brake, so that you are giving some resistance to the wheel without traction. Try to avoid allowing the wheels to stop turning. If you have no traction at all, or really poor traction, the differential has a very hard time engaging the wheel that's spinning the most from a complete stop, unless you do the parking brake trick.

That may also work for other types of LSDs, but I'm not sure.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode