special tools - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

special tools

Hey....wantin to install 4.10" gears front/back, i have someone puttin the gears in the back for me but he wasn't sure if i needed a special tool for putting the front in, its a '98 4.6 w/ factory 3.55's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 12:01 AM

IF your guy doesn't know the tools needed to install your gears I wouldn't give him the job gears have to be set up right or you can end up with all kinds of problems, you need a guy that knows his stuff for this job. remember gears can break and have all kinds of issues if not installed correctly

and what size tire are you running on your truck? because if you are running a 35" a 4.10 will not be worth the money on a 35" tire that would be like running 3.73 gears, I would recommend a 4.56 to wake that puppy up wicth would be like running 4.10 gears on stock tires, believe me you wont be disappointed either with 4.56's

and your truck being a 98 you will need a new speedo gear as well if you want to know how fast you are actually going

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 01:57 AM
Apprentice

4.10s and up make me happy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Yah, thats probably a good idea...i'm running 36" tires, i had to change the speedo gear once when i changed the tire size, the guy who is doing it says the back is no problem but hes not sure if you need a special alignment tool to do the front, i'm just tryin to save a few bucks for the drive out west and he is the only person i trust to work on my vehicles
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

I already had a set of 4.10's that i had picked up cheap but i think 4.56's would be too extreme for the highway, i looked at a chart on some website (can't remember which one off hand) but depending on whether i wanted fuel economy,max power or closest to factory, i'm sure the the 4.10's will suit me fine
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:02 PM

3.55 to 4.10 on a 35" tire isn't worth the expense, that would be the equivalent as running 3.73's on stock tires I run 4.56's on a 35.3" tire and its great it's the same as running 4.10 gears on a stock tire and on the highway its great don't forget you do have overdrive

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Yah...but around between 90 and 100 the transmission has a hard time trying to decide which gear to be in, money is tight and the 4.10's were free, so figured might as well put them in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode