Differentials - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Bush_aholic
Differentials

Well it looks like I might been in for diff mods a little sooner than planned. My rear diff cover has a hole in it. So I'm gonna just patch it for now and re-fill the oil to hold me off until I make up my mind on what to do....I'm looking for suggestions on my options, not who to go see to get it done. I already know pretty muck my whole diff is shot so I want to know if I should rebuild clutches, ring and pinion, bearings, new cover(for sure) or should I just get a new diff...regardless I will be putting new 4.56 gears(front&back) when I get everything else done. I have the 9.75 in the rear and the 8.8 in the front with 3.55 gears. Diff cover annd bearings I can do myself but when it comes to cluches the LS and gears it will get done by a rear end guy.

Don't grill me about the patch job I just wanna figure things out before I start buying parts, my diff is finished, patch job or not. No hwy driving in the mean time. this is not a new probleme either it's been going for a while had it checked out by Ford before they said it was all good BS!!! lol...diff got flushed 6 monthes ago too new oil and Modifyer

This ones gonna cost me!!!!FUN!

I only drive in the city, to get out of it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 05:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
what tires you running? 4.56 might be a little low for highway cruising with small tires, but the pics of the tires in your gallery look fairly big, so i say go for it!! throw in a good limited slip while you're in there to. send pics of the muddin you'll be doing with them

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

LoL pic's will be a must! There 35's on there so ya 4.56 will do fine. I just wonder if I'm better off getting a whole new diff all together With LS (I have it now too) or is it cheaper to rebuild. Can you buy rear diff's with 4.56 already in there????Anyone???

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 06:04 PM

i'm sure you could buy a complete diff with gears and LS installed. which Ls do you have now. the ford trac lok isn''t all that good. a true trac or auburn is better. but use what you have to keep cost down. i'm not sure what would be cheaper. a rebuild or complete buy. currie enterprises can build you a diff with whatever you want shoved in there, but expensive.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Not too shure what I have for LS but I dont have a trac lock button or anything......but I don't want to break the bank either I'm gonna try to take the best but cheapest way out to have somthing that will last. I'll check out currie though..

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 09:18 PM

the trac loc is the name of the ford limited slip, or traction loc can't remember. one is ford and one is jeep. sounds like it'll be cheaper to rebuild you're present diff.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Ya I'm thinking of rebuilding and I will do bearings and new diff cover first and take a look at what looks roughed up once I have the cover off. That's the plan for now and I will go from there I hope I will be ok with just changing the ring & pingion after that. Still looking around at stuff though won't make up my mind untill I get back from work. Stock diff covers are about 40$ for the 9.75 and if you want aftermarket cheapest I found was like 150$ I might go after market for better cooling and oil capacity. Some come with drain plugs too instead of cracking the seal everytime.

Patch jobs working good so far I was low 3/4 of a quart....Ouch!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 11:02 PM

yep, some aftermarket ones come with dip sticks and extra capacity and some are finned to help with heat dispersion. they are all stronger than stock. plus it makes the truck look meaner.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 02:24 PM

The Mag hytec is a really nice looking aftermarket one. My brother got one for his sierra, its got the dipstick, magnetic drain plug, easy locations to fill the diff. Its a really nice piece, i wanted to get one when i did my axle seals but didnt have the spare cash.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Ya I have been staring, druling at the Mag Hytec's for two days now....there like 250$ though I'm not shure I want to spend that kinda of cash on a diff cover when a stock one is 40$, I want to find a good aftermaket with a drain plug larger oil capacity that is black for around 150....millions of chrome ones very few black.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode