I think this truck is cursed. :( - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Question I think this truck is cursed. :(

So yesterday I picked up the the rear end for my truck. It came out of an 06 Ranger, same as mine but 4WD. Today I got started installing it. The first thing I noticed was the axle tube was a bigger diameter. So I start measuring and everything looks good except my U bolts won't fit. I figure I can swap out the axle for now so I can get it safetied, then change everything over later.The next thing I noticed was the diff is different.
This is my old one... 410 8.8 LS

and this is the new one... 410 8.8 LS

I pulled the axle and it won't fit in my rear end so I put it back in. The new one looks (didn't measure it) thicker and has 31 splines instead of the 28 that the old one has.
So, what's the deal with this diff?
Is it just a heavier construction?
The gearing is the same so it shouldn't be any problem but I would like some info on this. I know nothing about differentials other then how they work.
Is it a posi?
Please tell me about this new diff.

I put it back together and swapped out all the parts that needed to be swapped out, then installed the rear end. Right now it's in the truck on axle stands and just needs the U bolts to complete the job.

Is there anything I might not be aware of that I should do or watch out for with this new rear end?
Is it just a straight swap other then the U bolts?
So far the only difference I can see is the new rear end has holes in the casting for a sway bar that my truck doesn't have. I don't think that will be a problem.
If it helps, the original tag # is V333V and there is a sticker on the tube that says "New model", The replacement tag # is V315A

In the future, depending on gas milage, I may want to swap out the gears for a lower ratio. I'll be asking some questions about that when the time comes.

Thanx for any help you can offer.
J.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 01:22 AM

Check toe sticker on the B pillar of the driver's door to get the axle code, then look here http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=869 to see what the truck originally came with.

28 splines on your old diff and 31 on the new one from a 4wd...only thing I can think of why they are different is Ford put the 31s on the 4wd for more strength since a 4wd may see rougher use? My F150 has 31 and its 2wd buts also a bigger truck than a Ranger of the same vintage.

Whaddya mean I dont pay my bills?? Whydya think I'm broke!!

03 Lariat Crew 4x4 Line-x bedliner, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau.
RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanx, I'll see if the guy I bought it from will check that for me. It's a 1 1/2 hr drive from here.
It may not be on that chart (mine isn't) because it's newer.
The tag numbers tell me both are 410 LS 8.8 but I am unable to find a chart with the newer model #s (V333V & V315A).
I'll see what I can find out.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 PM

Just pull the rear end out and put the new one in, Pull the drive shaft out to make sure the drive shaft will bolt up to the flange and as for U bolts measure the axle tube then go to a spring shop they should be able to fix you up there also you might want to check the plate that goes on top of the spring where the U bolts go though as well they may be different as well

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKRWZ View Post
Just pull the rear end out and put the new one in, Pull the drive shaft out to make sure the drive shaft will bolt up to the flange and as for U bolts measure the axle tube then go to a spring shop they should be able to fix you up there also you might want to check the plate that goes on top of the spring where the U bolts go though as well they may be different as well
Thanx. I put the rear end in and bent the old bolts to fit for now. I ordered the bolts and top plates but they will be a few days. It's drivable now and I just have to replace the bolts and plates when I get them.At least this one doesn't wobble.
The limited slip doesn't work as well as the original. It seems I can overcome the springs fairly easily. Well...easier than the original anyway.

I'm still working on getting those numbers.
Thanx for the info so far.
J.P.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:31 PM

Wellwood & Manes Spring Service in Burlington has made me U olts while I waited in less than 10 min on many occasion's much cheaper than ordering them

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKRWZ View Post
Wellwood & Manes Spring Service in Burlington has made me U olts while I waited in less than 10 min on many occasion's much cheaper than ordering them
Yes and also likely Barton spring in Hamilton but I doubt either would have the plates in stock. Maybe they would, I don't know. The set that I'm waiting for are the ones that came off this rear end and they are free so Im willing to wait.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 PM

Plates would be a dealer item I would imagine if you had to buy them but you gotta love FREEEEEEE

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 11:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to 4x4.0
posssibly from an fx4,,I hear the use a different type of ls?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 04:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
Thats a Level II rearend, and from everything I hear they're supposed to be better. Good to know, I didn't realize the axle housings are larger on the 31 spline rearends, will keep that in mind when I swap mine out. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode