Transmission issue... - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to herbz
Transmission issue...

Over the last couple (3) weeks my tranny has been kinda hesitating to shift from 1st to 2nd when I take off. Once when taking off from a stop it hesitated and slammed so hard it made my passenger cringe. I had my truck in to be serviced just before this started and they said the tranny fluid was good on the sheet, this problem started to happen within a couple days of it being there so I think they didn't actually check it. Turns out the fluid was about a litre low. Anyway I filled it up and I've been checking the fluid every few days and its staying full so that rules out the leak. Its been better since but every so often the tranny still hesitates to shift.

I'm thinking my tranny might have sustained some damage from the low fluid but unfortunately I have no idea how long the fluid was low. Anybody got any insights on this? What might have happened or what could be damaged transmissions are something I know nothing about.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 02:39 PM

i had one the other week that had a trans serv done with the wrong fluid(type f instead of merc3/v)aweek later it was shifting harsh,slow fwd engaugement,slipping 1/2 shift,dissassm and found the fwd clutch piston seals were torn,replaced seals and reassm no problems now.you may want to take it to a qualified trans tech to check it over.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:14 AM

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to herbz
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyx1 View Post
i had one the other week that had a trans serv done with the wrong fluid(type f instead of merc3/v)aweek later it was shifting harsh,slow fwd engaugement,slipping 1/2 shift,dissassm and found the fwd clutch piston seals were torn,replaced seals and reassm no problems now.you may want to take it to a qualified trans tech to check it over.
Well its seems to be getting better. Hardly any slippage or hesitation the last few days. The 1/2 shift slipping is what I was experiencing for sure. Just out of curiosity what do the fwd clutch piston seals run? I'm gonna see how things go over the next little while. If it looses any more fluid or slips hard again I'll take it in. Like I said its happening less and less each day.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:43 PM

the fwd clutch is enguaged in fwd gears and will slip more on the 1-2 shift because of gear reduction.hopefully everything goes ok,have you tryed a conditioner?

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Garage
I know this thread is a little on the old side, but it made me think of my friend's 1999 Ford Taurus. It has a similar issue. Changed out the fluid and it was the Ford recommended, $150/dozen liter fluid. Shifting issue is almost gone and the service engine light is off now and has been staying off. However, after a long trip, it will on occasion still do the slip 1/2 shift. Can you recommend a good conditioner. I would like to "optimistically" get another 3-5 years out of this car for him, as it will probably be the last car he buys. Considering how little and lightly the car is driven, it should be a realistic expectation. Can't remember which trans. he has but there were only 2 4 speed automatics available and he has the one with a 3.0l V6 Vulcan 12 valve engine.

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:31 AM

could be a bad piston in the trans. they are a known problem.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode