NEED HELP: In regards to regear suggestions/guidance/info - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to TaggyTagz
In regards to regear suggestions/guidance/info

Hey all. So for those of you who aren't familiar with my truck, I have an 08 sport 4x4 with LSD (3.73 ratio currently). I have 33x12.50 mudders, superlift, prekeys, skyjacker leafsprings, shackles etc, and it's a 5 spd manual.

I'm looking at regearing because in deep snow, mud etc it is very sluggish and i tend to just get a burning clutch smell instead of forward movement, and it is slow to build up speed on the roads. I've also started my own contracting work and may be doing more hauling/towing so a trailer may be in the picture soon.

I'm wondering whether or not a 4.10, 4.56, or 4.88 would do me better... People in the past told me that keeping it a bit lower because of the highway driving I do may be better, but I do keep between 100-110kmh on the highway anyways. so I'm wondering if maybe the 4.56 is the ideal place to be.. especially if down the line I maybe want to add a BL and 35's?

Secondly I'm wondering what the approx costs would be in getting new gears put in?? I don't have a great deal of technical skill, nor the tools or shop to do anything myself so I'd be taking it to a shop.

For anyone who reads through all this and answers any of my questions, I thank you very much. cheers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 09:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
4.10s would put you about stock gearing (thats what I'm running, 33s and 4.10s). 4.56s would probably be ideal but I personally wouldn't go with 4.88s unless you're running 35s full time, it'd just be too low for freeway use (you'd be touching on 3000 rpm @ 105 km/h/65 mph) with anything less. 4.56s will handle 35s if you do go that route. One suggestion might be finding some 33x10.5 ATs with 4.56 gears and keeping the 35s for weekends, just a thought. Wear out the cheaper tires, and they'll be far easier on your IFS frontend.

A 4.0L Ranger with 33s isn't going to get good mileage anyways (even mine with the skinnier 10.5s still dropped almost 2 mpg), so I'd go with the lower gearset (4.56s). Keep it around 95-100 km/h and you probably won't be too bad. Just my .02. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 01:01 AM

With the possibility of 35's and towing in the future go 4.56

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, any idea of pricing of parts and labour on this sort of thing? I haven't got the slightlest idea.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 01:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
Cheap, I'd say around $500 an end easy. Depends on your supplier and labour costs though, mind as well throw a rear locker in while you're at it and call it done since you're already in there. I was quoted just under $1500 for a Detroit in the back of one of my Rangers about 6 or 7 years ago, taxes in all said and done. Truck wasn't worth $1500 so I welded it Seriously, don't go the route though, you'll destroy your truck in no time.

If you pull the diffs yourself and have them ready, you could get a set setup by a buddy for under $1000 if you look hard enough, think its usually about $300 an end for gears plus new seals and bearings, been a while since I've looked though. If you can order from the US it'll be cheaper. I know a few guys who do gears locally but sorry about ON, I don't know anyone out there. Just make sure whoever does them is licenced so you're not stuck with a set of dead axles when the gears die prematurely. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Just make sure whoever does them is licenced so you're not stuck with a set of dead axles when the gears die prematurely. LR
Ya if I get this done instead of selling the truck, I'd likely get the work done at ford where I've had all the other work done. And ya I wasn't 100% sure what parts I should be looking at but on summit a full gear kit was between 250-400... and I'd assume a couple hours labour per axle...

Now were you saying adding lockers would cost like another 1000 bucks?? I mean, it'd be nice, but I rarely go offroad. I mainly need 4x4 for like a couple months of the winter, and even then the snow has been lacking at best the last few years.. Couple snow storms a year that require the use of 4x4... At this point I think 1000 bucks would be better put to use on a set of BFG AT's, my mudders are wide and running out of tread
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 01:44 PM

The front axle will probably be more than a few hours. It's a pita to get at

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:19 PM

What about looking into a used full-size truck for your work? A lot of them get better mileage, even with a V8 and towing isn't a problem. Plus, when you ding it up -- meh, it's a work truck. You can also write off a lot of the ownership expenses on your business taxes.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode