HVAC System - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Interior Dashboards, Clusters, Seats, Upholstery etc

View Poll Results: How do you leave your HVAC system set?
Turn it off completely 1 20.00%
Leave it however it was while driving 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

HVAC System

So in my lifetime I have owned several vehicles that i've had the windshields replaced in due to chips/cracks/etc. and for whatever reason, as soon as the factory seal has been cut come wintertime the inside of the windshield fogs up every time I start the vehicle. Doesn't matter how clean I keep the glass, what products I apply, etc. - if it's a cold morning/evening I'm sitting for 5 minutes while the windshield clears.

My present truck has been fine until about 2 weeks ago, when to my despair I start the vehicle and bam - fogged windshield. I have not had the windshield replaced in this vehicle so I know the seal is good. Cleaning the glass every couple of days seems to help a bit, but it's very frustrating.

My question is this: when you turn your truck off, do you a) shut the HVAC system off as well or b) leave it in whatever position it was while you were driving (defrost / floor / dash etc.)

I'm trying to determine if I leave the system open to let it acclimatize or shut it off (Rangers still have the old twist dial where you have to select what part of the system you want the air to come out :-) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 09:10 PM

Garage
My 08' Ranger and my current truck both fog up on the inside on cool mornings. I just leave my settings as they were. Maybe the fan set to low. One thing that seems to help is putting my drivers window down an inch or so after starting. It "seems" to unfog quicker.

2014 F150 FX4 | SuperCrew | 5.0L | 4x4 | Sterling Grey Metallic
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 09:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
lately with all the this rain mine's been fogging up.. probably because there is left over water/ humidity in the truck. the temp change causes the water to raise and attach to the windshield..

have you tried Rain-X anti-fog?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 10:51 PM

I just leave it as is when driving. Did same with my Ranger.
In winter I leave it on full heat on windshield.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 06:41 AM

Garage
Remote start and full defrost setting five minutes before heading out might work wonders ?

Otherwise, I just let mine be and factor in extra time to clear the windshield (inside and out) before taking off.

This FX4 is the first one I've had with remote start, but it's worked well in vehicles my wife has had.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 07:53 AM

Garage
I usually turn mine off so as to keep the start up drain on the battery to a minimum. Is you A/C compressor working? Does it have a separate shut off switch? Mine will do it on occasion, especially in damp weather. I open the no-drafts and defogging is done almost before the high idle kicks down.

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper238 View Post
lately with all the this rain mine's been fogging up.. probably because there is left over water/ humidity in the truck. the temp change causes the water to raise and attach to the windshield..

have you tried Rain-X anti-fog?
I'm hoping that's perhaps what's causing it. As I said, usually the OEM windshield doesn't give me grief, was a bit concerned when it fogged up a couple of days.

I have tried the anti-fog, didn't do anything for me. What little bit of fog it kept off the windshield just found a home on the side and rear windows.....

I'm going to try for a week with the system "open" (ie. where it was when driving) and then a week with the system "closed" (off) and see if I can decipher which one is better.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:31 PM

My truck is basically the same as yours and I've never had this problem. I've almost never had the vents set to "recirculate" because I find it gets humid inside pretty fast. The only time I use that setting is when I'm driving through a dust cloud and I don't want suck the dirt inside the cab, but then I set it right back to pull in fresh air.

When I park the truck I leave it in the "vents open" position. Do you maybe have wet carpet that's never had a chance to dry properly? Maybe pull out the floor mats and let it all air out in the sun with the doors open?

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 12:31 AM

Maybe the inside of your windshield just needs to be cleaned ? LOL Just kidding

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode