NEED HELP: heater blowing cold air - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Interior Dashboards, Clusters, Seats, Upholstery etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

heater blowing cold air

the heater in my 08 ranger is blowing cold air. the ac works fine but the defrost doesnt work that great. should i assume that there is no warranty for the heater core as I have had the truck 3 years and its just barely over the 60 thous clicks amount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 11:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
check the thermostat

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

I am not very mechanically inclined so how would I check the thermostat. and where is it lol. I feel a bit embarresed here.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

If the coolent is low do I add more into the radiator or into the coolent container. also what kind of coolent do I purchase and does it already have water in it or do i have to add it myself. im going to check this out first before searching for the thermometre. newbie here
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 06:04 AM

No need to be embarrassed here. Last time I checked, everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time ... well, those of us who still have legs. And pants.

If the coolant is low, add a bit into the overflow container (unless it's totally empty, then you'll need to add some to the rad, and then the overflow). Drive it for a day or so, and then check the overflow container to see if it needs some more. The heat/cool cycle of the engine will suck it up from the overflow bottle.

Coolant comes in pre-mixed or add water types. I recommend you get a jug of distilled, de-ionized water from the drug store, not tap water, if you don't use the pre-mixed type. It's cheap. Check your owner's manual for the type of coolant you need. They're not all compatible. If you're totally confused, just buy some from the dealer. I think Prestone and others make pre-mixed coolant that's compatible with all coolants. But definitely check the label and your manual.

Re: your heater not working.

Does the temperature gauge on your dashboard go up to around half-way when the truck has warmed up, and stay there when you're driving? If it's not warming up all the way, then it could be your thermostat is stuck open.

Replacing the thermostat is not expensive, and would be considered a do-it-yourself job, assuming you've got tools and a place to work and inclination. There's lots of information on the net about it. You can't tell if the thermostat is defective just by looking at it (unless it's obviously completely thundered). You have to remove the thermostat housing from the engine, remove the thermostat, and test it.

But if the engine is coming up to temperature properly, and maintaining it as you drive, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. The problem could be elsewhere.

If the engine is warming up properly and you've got enough coolant, a control linkage or something might have become loose, which controls the dampers in the ductwork behind the dashboard. Or it may just need some adjustment. I think the AC/heater dampers work with vacuum motors on these trucks, so a vacuum hose could have come loose.

Also not an impossible job, but if you're a beginner, it could be a bit of a rat's-nest.

It's more unlikely that your heater core would have cacked-out after only two years. Most likely coolant level or thermostat.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

thank you so much! Im going to check those things out. The dashboard temperature dial comes up to just about half way when the truck is warm. I will check the coolent. had a quick look yesterday and the container it was in was about a quarter full but I couldnt see the writing on it as it was near dark.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

so the coolent is very low. I seem to remember in the summer a yellowish tiny puddle under my truck and I investigated but didnt know for sure if it was from mine. oh dear
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
Well I would top up your rad but don't over fill it leave a little space, then warm up your truck, drive it for a mile or 2 and watch your heat gauge, if it stays at the M in normal then your good to go, after your drive hoping it's in the day time park your truck on flat ground leave it run and look for a prestone leak or smell for 1. You may have a loose clamp, bad hose, pin hole in the rad itself. But just check the simple things over before you jump into changing out your thermostat. If all fails take it to ford and ask them to check it over.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
Well I would top up your rad but don't over fill it leave a little space, then warm up your truck, drive it for a mile or 2 and watch your heat gauge, if it stays at the M in normal then your good to go, after your drive hoping it's in the day time park your truck on flat ground leave it run and look for a prestone leak or smell for 1. You may have a loose clamp, bad hose, pin hole in the rad itself. But just check the simple things over before you jump into changing out your thermostat. If all fails take it to ford and ask them to check it over.
true do all that first. But before you go thinking it's your heater core if all that doesn't work change your thermostat. It's an approximately $10 part and you can quite easily do it yourself

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 02:22 AM
Mar

Eh I'm in Victoria also and could assist you trouble shooting your truck if you like.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode