Upgrading crappy Ranger headlights - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Lighting Headlights, Taillights, HID's, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Upgrading crappy Ranger headlights

2011 Ranger Sport here. Am I the only one that thinks the stock headlights are horrible?

After all kinds of web searching and taking into account how many of these truck are out there, I'm kinda shocked that there isn't someone selling a decent upgrade, including an option for fully built quality HID aftermarket projectors.

I'd go for a simple HID retrofit but I'm concerned about glare. But I think that's dependent on the individual vehicle's reflector design. Has anyone done such a retrofit and then checked to make sure the glare is "acceptable"?

I'm assuming it's the same problem with LED retrofits into the stock reflector.

I was considering the Spyder/Anzo etc plug and plays, but there seem to be a lot of quality issues and it's hard to tell if they're even HID (vs crappy halogen projectors).

I've done a HID projector retrofit with the Morimoto Mini H1 (great little unit), so it's not out of the question, but I really really hated the baking part. I also thought there would be a decent online blow-by-blow projector installation available; but no.

What have you guys done? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 08:33 AM

Garage
We've got an in-house lighting expert, wait for Travis (Viper238) to weigh in.....meantime, welcome.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

For posterity here is Viper’s reply (thanks!!!):

All plug and play bulbs hid, led or halogen will be dependent on the factory reflector housing. Which you know is already horrible.

You will intensify the bad output just being brighter and adding glare for oncoming vehicles.

My recommendation is a projector retrofit. Either hid or led. Make sure it’s bixenon.

The morimoto mini h1 is a great start. Miles ahead of any factory halogen.

The Spyder/Anzo Headlights have horrible output even if they are projectors. Their reflectors haven’t had the R&D spent on them to make their output usable.
There was some talk about pulling out the projectors they give you and making a plate to install a mini h1. Not sure if came to light. Would probably depend on the anzo light for the vehicle.

I would just retrofit in a led or hid projector.

If you did a google search “ranger hid retrofit” you might find step by step guide someone did. The baking is one of the harder things because ford uses a permaseal.

If you got a aftermarket halogen replacement, they would probably be butyl rubber which is very easy to heat up and take apart. Problem is aftermarket plastic is cheaper and it warps easier when it’s heated so it easily distorts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode