NEED HELP: nagging brake/rear diff issue - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Suspension Lift/Drop Kits Springs, Shocks, Brakes, Axles,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

nagging brake/rear diff issue

Ok the story so far:

3 weeks ago after running some errands I noticed burning smell. I knew it was a stuck brake pad from the scent. Got the truck home and pulled into the driveway, noticed a nice oily smoke cloud drift past the pass. side windows. I got out and could really smell the cooked brakes. I did the old Nascar trick of feeling the rims to see how hot they were. Left rear was normal but the right rear was hot enough to fry an egg. I could hear the rotor pinging as the metal cooled. Called my mechanic and was told to bring it in. I let the rotor cool then use low pressure water from the garden hose to cool them of. The water was steaming off the rotor.

Took the truck in, turns out the sliders on the calipers were partly seized. They lubed them and caliper worked fine. No charge.

A few days later after only taking short trips I took a longer trip and when I parked the truck I again got the same burnt brake scent and the right rear rim was very hot again. No smoke this time. The truck has also had this annoying shudder at very slow speeds when making a tight turn. I figured it was low diff oil or it needed more friction modifier. So I took the truck back had them address the brake issue again and also to replace the rear diff fluid and check out the carrier/clutch packs to make sure they were all good.

Got the truck back Tuesday, all seemed good until I took a 45 min drive. Got home, same damn thing, the shudder was back and so was my overheating brake issue.

I'm at a loss as to what the issue is. They've checked the right rear brake caliper twice and the emergency brake and they say its fine. I checked the bill and it doesn't say if they put in friction modifier, just says gear oil.

There is also an intermittent squeal like when the brake pads get worn down, only time I can hear it is if the truck is coasting.

I have two theories.

1) The brake caliper is still sticking.
2) The rear diff is building up too much heat and that heat is being transferred down the axle to the right rear rotor.

Any advice/theories/comments would be helpful.

Whaddya mean I dont pay my bills?? Whydya think I'm broke!!

03 Lariat Crew 4x4 Line-x bedliner, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau.
RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 06:19 AM

Garage
Did you check the axle shaft outer bearing? Or the axle shaft flange for straight? Is your mechanic trustworthy?

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Problem solved. Turns out the flexline to the caliper had a blockage which would prevent the brake fluid from easing the hydraulic pressure on the caliper when the brakes were not applied, thus causing the pads to still be in partial contact with the rotor. This also solve the shuddering issue.

If this hadn't worked I'd have had them tear the whole rear end apart.

RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 01:10 AM

Glad to hear you found it Paul, could have been a tough one.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 05:26 AM

Garage
Good catch Paul, glad to hear you found it. How did you determine that was the issue ?

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 06:35 AM

huh
I've been thinking at 317 000 km's it's probably time for new brake hoses and lines for my 01

I had the right front caliper stick a couple of years ago - got so hot the plastic hub cap melted and fell off + it burned off the abs sensor

it's has a shake at highway speeds since and I think it cooked the new lowering shock on that corner too

lately I've been haveing issues with the back end shuddering on low speed turns - but it only seems to do it after I've driven further than the local hortons

I put more friction modifyer in and it seemed to have an effect but , well not so much as I'd have hoped

maybe I should try putting new hoses on it too
gotta be cheeper than doing the diff - especially if I don't need to
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 06:37 AM

Interesting... when was the last time that you had the complete brake system flushed with new brake fluid?
BTW, I use the Ford HD brake fluid in my trucks system. Did a lot of online research on various HP brand spec's.

As for changing your flex lines, not a bad idea at this point with your older model truck.
I would recommend that you look into SS braided flex lines, for better brake pedal pressure/modulation.

If your interested in some input on HP street brake pads, please let me know.

Press on regardless!

Last edited by Big Daddy D.; 05-15-2015 at 09:20 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 08:16 AM

mine ?
the brakes were completely replaced a few months before the front caliper siezed
but I don't think any of the hoses were changed

I tryed getting the stainless hoses but the wait time was going to be indefinately long

I've seen the brake hoses break down in the inner layer of rubber before - this is what causes the blockages - at least on my old front wheel drive dodges

(the only shelbys I can afford say dodge on the back end lol)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like Fords Too View Post

lately I've been haveing issues with the back end shuddering on low speed turns - but it only seems to do it after I've driven further than the local hortons
Well not so fast folks...damn thing is still not right.

I only took it on a short trip about 15kms and it seemed fine. No shuddering at low speed turns. When I my guy about adding friction mod he said the synthetic gear oil already has it in there so no need to add it.

Today Kim and I ran some errands, mostly city streets but we did take the 401 W from Highbury exit to the Wonderland rd exit on the 402 here in London, ON. When we got to the TSC store I could smell it as soon as I got out of the truck. This vid shows it smoking. This is after just 16 kms on the hwy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey79ofhvo1Y

And this is after driving home from TSC about 7 kms on city roads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BEn8CyQJrE

Total round trip was maybe 25 kms. This issue oly seems to happen once you drive it on the hwy. Once the rear gets warmed enough if you make a slow turn it makes a weird whining noise and when you try to a slow speed turn it shudders when you try to accelerate.

At this point I'm going to put new calipers/pads/rotors on both wheels and replace the flex line on the left rear. If that doesn't it fix then I'll sell that damn thing and let it be someone elses headache.

As for how I found out it was(could have been ) the flex line, thats what my mechanic told me. I've taken my truck(s) to the same shop for over 5 years and this is the only time I've ever had to go back to keep fixxing the same issue. In the past its been one and done.

RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]

Last edited by f150phule; 05-18-2015 at 02:05 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Talked to my dad and he made a good point. Since it only happens once it heats up it could be a wheel bearing.

RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode