ICON Stage 5 for 2018 F150 - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Suspension Lift/Drop Kits Springs, Shocks, Brakes, Axles,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

ICON Stage 5 for 2018 F150

Hey all,

Wanted to share both my experience with this setup, and currently in the midsts of dealing with support.

I've had this setup, the Stage 5, on my 2018 F150 Platinum w/ the 3.5L Ecoboost for nearly a year now. I've had 2 minor/major issues with reasonable support from ICON - still some customer service improvements left to be desired. The 2nd issue is currently ongoing, so I'll update this thread later.

The performance of this kit is definitely nice; and really shines when you're trying to beat the snot out of the truck going on washboard roads, and just rougher terrain - or just really bad Toronto roads under construction. At lower speeds, they seem firmer than stock, and firmer than a set of Bilsteins I put on 'em before I nabbed the ICON kit (was on sale). I've had a few people who drove my truck tell me when you push this setup, it does exceptionally well. I still feel like my truck is new (only a year old), so I haven't beaten it up or taken it through the ringer, but I will, in due time. I think this is also supported if you watch the YouTube videos comparing this to a similar BDS setup. These perform better at extremes, those are great for general street comfort - probably just cause of the Fox shocks. You can feel the difference of the adjustability between the extremes - soft and hard - not night and day, but noticeable.

I think anyone looking at similar, be it this, BDS or maybe Kings, I see why the majority go BDS. If for no other reason, because feedback on their support and service seems to be best in business.

Issue 1: they shipped the wrong parts (related to the UCA), and the part failed, and my right front passenger wheel looked like it basically had fallen off the truck - still being held on by the lower suspension components. This was a minor issue which created a major issue. Thankfully, no one was hurt, I was only going 60km/h, on a local road, and despite my truck being in the shop for over a week as they sent us the right parts, it was eventually fixed.

Issue 2: rust on the front coilover, likely due to salt on our roads in the winter, seized up the threads, and the adjustability factor/premium was moot. The spanner wrench they sell is a flimsy piece of garbage - it warped on our first attempt using it, and eventually the metal nubs that go into the shock's collar fell off due to it not being built to handle the torque. Pathetic. Clearly, these California engineers have no idea what winter + salt on roads does to their parts. Not sure if this applies to other manufacturers, but I think if you live in a climate where there is salt on the roads, do yourself a favour, and in the winter, just use some coilover bags/covers to shield 'em from the salt. It'll probably save you a bit of headache later on down the line. Additionally, what happened because the spanner wrench bent, was that the adjustment holes in the shock collar ended up getting warped due to the tool not working properly. I'm now dealing with them on this issue to see what they can do. Their current solution to this is ship back the front coilovers, leave the truck immobilized, and they'll replace the collar and ship it back to me. I'm not terribly impressed with this response since they've already once left me without a vehicle for a few weeks as we dealt with fixing their mistake.

Issue 3: not big enough deal since it's not often that you hear it, and I don't have a comparison point between other trucks, or even my previous setup w/ Bilsteins before I had the ICONs on. In my area, I have some slow bumps installed around the school zones - and when going over them, you can hear a noticeable squeak in the setup. Going over normal speed bumps, the more jolting kind, there is no sound. So perhaps it's something about a gradual compression of the shocks. Again, because slow bumps are not common, I've not made a stink about this to ICON.

Issue 4: ICON also does not really "offer" up any support when it comes to building on top of their kit - by adding a lift kit or something. So unlike BDS, if you're looking to do something later, just don't expect ICON to help out.

Keep this in mind if you're thinking of doing the ICON setup - either jumping straight to stage 5, or building up along the way.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode