Shock stud extenders? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Suspension Lift/Drop Kits Springs, Shocks, Brakes, Axles,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Shock stud extenders?

So, I'm trying to restore some down travel to my front end after my torsion twist has eliminated it.

One option I've been pondering is putting in a spacer at the top of the shock to extend it down a little further.

The other one, I just came across these on Ebay:

Shock stud extenders, they do just what the name implies, extend your shock stud to push shock down, compensating for some lift.

Anyone ever use these? I know what I think of them, but before I say anything I wonder if what some other people think???

Here's the product:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Shock-Stud-Extend...3286.m20.l1116

Just some dude from BC...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 09:55 PM

wouldn't you lose some of the rebound stroke(compression)?

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

^^
Not by the way I figure. the torsion twist has basically "moved" my suspension travel down by about 2" on the spring but has done nothing with the shock so this is being theorized as a cheap way to push the shock down somewhat to match the spring....

But I could be wrong.....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 05:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to Bush_aholic
If you cranked your torsion bars up(I think that's what your saying), why not get new shocks that are designed for the amount of lift you added?

I only drive in the city, to get out of it!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush_aholic View Post
If you cranked your torsion bars up(I think that's what your saying), why not get new shocks that are designed for the amount of lift you added?
That would be the obvious and permanent answer to the problem yes.

But I don't know anyone that's really good with shocks who could help me figure out what I need and my local spring shop is geared toward the rock-crawling crowd and doesn't really want to be bothered wih my mickey-mouse stuff.....

So I'm going for a "I think this should do the trick" kind of approach.

I've decided against the stud extenders, they just look too fragile. I wouldn't want to be in the bush and have something like that go. I'm just going to use some spacers between the shock and the mounting bracket to push the shock down about 3/4" (depending where my cv angle is...)

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:44 PM

Why are you bothering to "extend" your shock for only 3/4" difference. I have mine lifted 3" with a coil spacer and have had absolutley no problems with my shocks whatsoever.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
Here's an even simpler solution for you: stacked washers.

I have torn apart the front TTB suspension in mine and built a set of 3" coil spacers for a 2½"ish lift (front coils are bagged a bit) with camber bushings, and removed the sway bar. All I did was stack about 6 or 8 5/16" washers under the upper bottom shock bushing to move the shock down about ¾" and it works well. I do have to order a set of STX model "highrider" shocks since they're an inch longer, and with the loosened up camber bushings and removed sway bar I gained a lot more than an inch more of downward travel, front now sits around 8"+ suspension travel instead of the stock 4" travel. On your torsion bar front end, I couldn't see you gaining any more suspension travel just by cranking them - you're still limited by the A-arms and torsion bars.

The rear shocks you don't need to worry about. I did 2" add-a-leafs and 2" lift shackles which settled to about 2½" lift, and the stock length shocks limit the downtravel perfectly to where the ABS wire and brake lines limit, yet still sink into the wheelwells when the tires rub the inner fender and body panels. I used a set of non-bumpstop lift blocks instead of the OEM ones so the tires stuff a little more. At 11" of travel they work well, and it uses the full 11" travel too. Removing the rear sway bar helped that immensely. The rear suspension in your Ranger should be about the same. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 06:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to Bush_aholic
Bilstein makes a shock that's self adjustable from stock to 2 inches of lift and they are excellent shocks. For a good set of 4 shocks is usually in the 200$ range. Most shock companies sell them for different lift sizes you just pick the one you want that fit's your truck nothing much to figure out.

I only drive in the city, to get out of it!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode