Suspension Enhancement upgrade - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Suspension Lift/Drop Kits Springs, Shocks, Brakes, Axles,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Mar

Suspension Enhancement upgrade

Now and then I carry a 600lbs ATV in the Ranger bed and I find it sags the rear end quite a bit which I don't really like.

Came across these and would like some input on them before I buy them.

http://www.timbren.com/aeon-double-c...on-springs.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:51 PM

I've sold many sets of them at work (Carquest). No complaints on them whatsoever.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 11:36 PM

Have you considered using air helper springs, like the Firestone ones?

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4000 View Post
Have you considered using air helper springs, like the Firestone ones?
Yeah look into it but then things add up like a compressor and wiring the thing as that's the only way to go with those. I want simple and after reading about these, they sound like something that will do the job. There's suppose to be an 1 inch gap between spring and these things so normal everyday driving isn't affected by them. Sounds okay to me.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
Yeah look into it but then things add up like a compressor and wiring the thing as that's the only way to go with those.
FWIW, anyone I've known who's had air bags on their truck didn't have a permanently installed compressor. They just used an air hose from the shop air compressor or a little cigarette lighter type. They only changed the pressure when they were carrying something heavy and wanted to level the truck, so it's not like they'd use it every day. Even then, it only took a few minutes.

Quote:
I want simple and after reading about these, they sound like something that will do the job. There's suppose to be an 1 inch gap between spring and these things so normal everyday driving isn't affected by them. Sounds okay to me.
They definitely look like they've got some good points and seem pretty indestructable. If they work like I think they do, then they'd definitely help the suspension when it's heavily loaded. But, as you say, there's that 1" gap, so the springs will sag by at least that much before they take effect, and your truck won't be level. With airbags, you just adjust the pressure to where you like it and make it level when needed. With the rubber springs, you'll also have to guess the load to install the right ones, and if it's not right you're stuck with it, since they're not adjustable.

The other drawback, I think, if you do any offroading, is that you'd loose flex in the rear end, unless you unbolted them.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Mar

Yeah maybe you're right about flex but I don't really do hard core wheeling, not out there to wreck my truck just yet.

Picked up a set of Belltech shackles today to start working on my minor lift, might even go buy some tires though was out today doing some wheeling to test out my locker and what a difference that locker makes even though it's limited slip. Still it's all I need for what I do.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Mar

Well I ordered a set of Firestone air bags after reading all the good stuff about them.

I haven't install the Belltech shackles yet so I'm wondering if I do the bags first if I would run into a problem after installing the shackles later on if I did it this way.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode